Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Another use of the Kephart. It's so useful for so many things.

dmjKSELm.jpg

3k6fQwTm.jpg
What is the pic?

Same here. Sometimes I don't know WHAT I prefer. A year ago is about when the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart was announced. I got mine in December. All I wanted in a Kephart was a characteristic knife about 5 inches long that was better than the Condor that I was pretty dissatisfied with. Move forward 11 months and I own three more Kepharts and a fourth if you count the little Condor Compact Kephart. All I can say is that I went a bit hog wild on this from my point of view. Like I need all these kepharts.....;)

I'm a pretty simple guy and I like Kepharts. But right now, I'm using the BRKT Mini Kephart and the Condor Compact Kephart and I like both. The Condor really cuts which surprised me. I was honestly expecting another dud Kephart like their original offering. I still really like the Becker, but my normal woods activities don't demand anything larger than the BRKT. It is not like I'm spending the night normally. I'm just day hiking, seeing some sights, taking pictures, and getting out by night fall for the most part.

I am about to try to locate the original Condor and grind the edge down a bunch to hopefully make it into a knife that cuts. It's pretty useless as is to me and I obviously didn't miss it. It is always a step for me to make this kind of decision as I risk really screwing up a knife. A reflection.... I bought a 14" Condor Puerto Rican machete and really hated the big handle. It sat for probably a year before I even tried to cut something with it. It was sent to me by mistake when I ordered the larger Condor Viking machete model, but I kept it. After sanding the handle down a lot, sharpening, it has become one of my preferred machetes. So, I hope I can look back and say that about the Condor Kephart after I start grinding on it. If I screw it up, it won't be the end of the world.

Have you thought about the LTWK Bushcrafter HC? I think I am going back to the French ball end knife since I do have a few Kepharts, just need to get them out and use them.

bikerector bikerector so that is snow!!! I thought it was a big marshmallow. :p

The little Condor Compact Kephart is done in 1095. It's a cutter. I find the LT Wright bushy related blades to be very nice. Don't own one yet. I believe they are in A2. I really don't care much about factory warranties overall as I have never used a knife warranty in my life. About half of my knives are bought in person and I can inspect them before I buy.

I think I'm full up on blades until Christmas now. I punted on the knife show in Pigeon Forge TN Nov 1-3. Hate to not attend a knife show if the distance is within reason. But I just didn't want to tease myself with more knives and I can look at knives any day of the week at KSF if I want to with little effort. I suspect my next show will be the Dalton GA show in March as it is always fun with all the slip joints, and then Blade in Early June.

The little Condor Compact Kephart is done in 1095. It's a cutter. I find the LT Wright bushy related blades to be very nice. Don't own one yet. I believe they are in A2. I really don't care much about factory warranties overall as I have never used a knife warranty in my life. About half of my knives are bought in person and I can inspect them before I buy.

I think I'm full up on blades until Christmas now. I punted on the knife show in Pigeon Forge TN Nov 1-3. Hate to not attend a knife show if the distance is within reason. But I just didn't want to tease myself with more knives and I can look at knives any day of the week at KSF if I want to with little effort. I suspect my next show will be the Dalton GA show in March as it is always fun with all the slip joints, and then Blade in Early June.

I know the LTWK HC series are in 1075, the regular ones are A2 as far as I know. I have yet to attend a knife only show, and I felt the same way, been to too many gun shows, same things and vendors, and I feel saturated as far as new knives. I did get a few that are unique.

Last edited:

I had kinfolk that lived in Alcoa.

Thought I would post a picture that has both the Bark River Mini Kephart and the Condor Compact Kephart. The Mini Kephart is 7.5" OAL for scale. The Compact is done in 1095 with a walnut handle. I was hesitant to buy the Condor, but I am finding it to be very useful in my day to day life. The handle looks blocky, but it works. It cuts very well.
DSC08944ede.jpg

Thought I would post a picture that has both the Bark River Mini Kephart and the Condor Compact Kephart. The Mini Kephart is 7.5" OAL for scale. The Compact is done in 1095 with a walnut handle. I was hesitant to buy the Condor, but I am finding it to be very useful in my day to day life. The handle looks blocky, but it works. It cuts very well.
View attachment 1233098

That compact Kephart is really little. Seems like it would be pretty short in hand, but nice if you want something compact. Almost like a EDC sized, or a nice backup knife to a full-sizer.

I like that set of chop sticks!

They're actually wood tongs. I think they're pampered chef. This kind of thing from bed bath and beyond. They've been really useful for things like this, especially indoors with non-stick pans or some of the softer metals like titanium or aluminum for camping. Nice for grabbing hot things around a fire too if you're too lazy to bushcraft up cooking utensils.

64639140447063p

....They've been really useful for things like this, especially indoors with non-stick pans or some of the softer metals like titanium or aluminum for camping. Nice for grabbing hot things around a fire too if you're too lazy to bushcraft up cooking utensils.
That would be me unless I just have to. ;) I normally will have the little Leatherman Ps4 Squirt that I can grab things with if I need to. It is on my key ring (both sets). But it wouldn't be much good with link sausage.

The Condor Compact Kephart IS really small. I have been wearing it daily since I got it and you really don't even know it's there. But it cuts real good. I was out in the woods taking pictures yesterday and took both the Bark River and Condor with me. Hence the woodsy picture. Using the little Condor would be no problem for hunting chores with a whitetail.

I do like a full sized (4 finger) handle, but with a little 3 finger blade, it may not be necessary at all in the real world for day to day stuff (much like choosing a small folder to carry). As you know, I have others.

Last edited:
IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG
That compact Kephart is really little. Seems like it would be pretty short in hand, but nice if you want something compact. Almost like a EDC sized, or a nice backup knife to a full-sizer.

This is my JK Pocket Kephart, sort of the same idea as the Condor compact. It is a good blade to have around outdoors, but too small for kitchen work. But I like my JKs!

View attachment 1233431 View attachment 1233432

This is my JK Pocket Kephart, sort of the same idea as the Condor compact. It is a good blade to have around outdoors, but too small for kitchen work. But I like my JKs!
I guess that gives some credence to the small kephart's possible functionality. I use kitchen cutlery in the kitchen. None of my regular blades see use there. I could see using my Mora knives in the ktichen so at least they get used for something. The Compact Kephart would certainly handle eating uses (cutting a steak and so forth). It is just not a use we would normally think of in terms of size. I have been using it for the very same uses as a folding knife so far.

I guess that gives some credence to the small kephart's possible functionality. I use kitchen cutlery in the kitchen. None of my regular blades see use there. I could see using my Mora knives in the ktichen so at least they get used for something. The Compact Kephart would certainly handle eating uses (cutting a steak and so forth). It is just not a use we would normally think of in terms of size. I have been using it for the very same uses as a folding knife so far.

I can see the compact Kephart and the Pocket Kephart being good cutters for everyday jobs, a good quick cut with a sharp edge. Sort of like what you would need around the yard or farm.

I can see the compact Kephart and the Pocket Kephart being good cutters for everyday jobs, a good quick cut with a sharp edge. Sort of like what you would need around the yard or farm.
I agree and I think it'd make a decent whittler.

I agree and I think it'd make a decent whittler.

I'll disagree with you on that one, at least for my personal preference. Give me an itty bitty blade on a full-size handle, and then we're talking. I've tried a lot of smaller handled knives for whittling, because it seems like a lot of short bladed fixed blades have small handles, and it's all hot spots.

I'm not saying it's a bad knife, but boy oh boy I hate short handles for whittling. I've tried a lot of folders too and haven't found one that I can use for a long time without some discomfort, but I think the cold steel recon 1 is probably the closest, or the buck 110. There's no way getting around that gap in the handle where the blade rests when it's closed, but some are exceptionally sharp right there it seems.

What is it about really big or really small knives that is so interesting? It is something I can't explain. I know that ultimately I like a full grip, but not too full. For example, the larger Becker handle (BK-2, BK-7, BK-9 etc.) is just too fat for me although I have tried to like them.

I have been tickled to death with the BRKT Mini Kephart. Now the Condor Compact Kephart is seeing some belt time and use. I had to clean up the blade for the picture earlier as it was all smugged with who knows what. No scratches yet even though I have touched it up a couple times on my DMT stones. Easy peasy to touch up....

Back