Kerambits: Original and the C 'bit.

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
OK, I'll admit it. I tend to get a little...romantic when it comes to my blades. I usually find some kind of nickname for them or paint them into vivid daydreams where their true imbued virtue springs to my aid and saves the day. This is especially true of the HI Kerambit. Even our friend Munk used to craft improbable tales of Shanghai alley fights with a trusty HI Kerambit.

Many moons ago, Dan Koster and some of us on the forum got together and designed a kerambit for the kamis to try their skilled hand at. Kerambit, Karambit, K-bit, Khukrambit, whatever you wanna call it, it was a success. I was lucky enough to score a first run Kumar-made 'bit with "bloody sandlewood" grip. Mike (Ad Astra) suggested I name it "Moses" since I made a joke about it causing "a parting of the red meat". It's been a prize in my collection for years. I even dropped it in my jacket pocket as a good luck charm on my wedding day. I may have officially given my heart away to my wife that day, but it was crossed with Nepali steel:thumbup:

Many a time have I felt for it's smooth wooden grip and patina etched spine as I walked through an area that made my neck hair stand up. I likened the HI kerambit to the .38 snub nose revolver. You'll never know it's there, but it's there when you need it most. An up close and personal self defense weapon that be either wielded with deadly skill or placed in the death grip of a neophyte dropped into a fight or...well, fight situation. It is a devastating and instinctive tool. One I have carried with me most every day for give or take 6 years.

When I saw the new interest in revamping the kerambit I have to admit, I didn't really pay it too much attention. In my eyes, the 'bit was "just fine" the way it was. Then curiosity began to creep in

I emailed Yangdu to see if she had one in stock, and sure enough a wooden "C" was just dropped off at my door. Please savor this opportunity as I eat crow

The new C-Kerambit is without a doubt a meaner, more purpose driven, brute of a piece of personal protection EDC. It's chunkier, the spine is thicker, the ring is bigger (making it more accessible to people with larger hands, offers more of a thump, and balances the blade nicely), and the blade is wider. The blade is a tad shorter, but would probably carve a deeper wound channel. With the overall length bent in more on itself it packs easier and has a more neutral balance in the hand. The greater degree of curve also really locks the blade in your hand. It doesn't look like it in the photo, but the difference between the old bit and new is night and day. What was once basically a tiny khukuri with a ring stuck on the end of it is now the most formidable small martial based weapon I have ever handled from HI.

So while ol' Moses is always going to be a cherished heirloom of mine, I have a feeling that this new blood is going to put him in retirement. It simply does too many things right.

Bravo. Homerun. Mea Culpa. You have a convert:foot::D

OK, how about some really crumby pics?:D

DSC02143.jpg

Here's a hasty comparison shot. Moses is on top, the new one is obviously under that. Just to give you an idea: The spine thickness on the older bit is right at just shy of 1/4" the C-bit comes in at just over 5/16":eek: Blade width 1 1/2- 1 3/4 respectively. Ring diameter (this is the biggie) 1 1/4" compared to 1 9/16" The new C-bit is a CHUNK

DSC02145.jpg

Wooden grips and blued steel. There when you need them the most and at bad-breath range. Ol' Moses and my father-in-law's Model 36 .38spc

DSC02146.jpg

Simple, brutal, chunky, effective. Just for fun a shot of the new bit with my stumpy lil' G36:D

Thank you so much for the super fast service, Yangdu. And a huge shout out to...hey, what kami has the clover/flower looking mark anyway? Whoever did it, it's perfect. I love it:thumbup:

Thank you so much for the super fast service, Yangdu. And a huge shout out to...hey, what kami has the clover/flower looking mark anyway? Whoever did it, it's perfect. I love it:thumbup:

I believe it is Dil Kami. Great pictures of a great little knives (well, little for H.I.)!

Alex

Thanks. I thought i might be Dil. I have one his earliest pieces and his mark is this almost tulip-like pretty little flower. I think he's getting busy enough that he's having to scribble it down a little faster:D

To be honest, it smacks of his handy work. I've been most impressed with my pieces from him.

I like the Smith 36, though I carry a 5 shot .44 special for close encounters of the nightmarish kind. .38 special Silvertips have put a lot of bad guys on their backs. Never could get happy about the grip of a Glock. Too boxy for my hands. The little baby Glocks' grips are to short for my meaty paws, too. To each his own. I like a longer grip with a shorter barrel. Not that I'd be inclined to try to victimize you if you were pointing one at me. Wouldn't argue with the C bit, either. I want one.

I like the Smith 36, though I carry a 5 shot .44 special for close encounters of the nightmarish kind. .38 special Silvertips have put a lot of bad guys on their backs. Never could get happy about the grip of a Glock. Too boxy for my hands. The little baby Glocks' grips are to short for my meaty paws, too. To each his own. I like a longer grip with a shorter barrel. Not that I'd be inclined to try to victimize you if you were pointing one at me. Wouldn't argue with the C bit, either. I want one.

The .38 is special (heh...bad pun) to me because it belonged to my father-in-law and it belonged to his dad before that. Neither were gun guys, and I can pretty much guarantee you that the several hundred rounds I have put through it is the most it has ever been shot. But it is a memento that makes me think of him:) I do carry it sometimes (like today:D), but generally my G36 fills that nice. Of course, sometimes I like to feel like some sort of Polish James Bond and I pack my slim lil P-64 in 9mm Mak too:D

I used to hate Glocks. Way too blocky for me. However, I found myself wanting something that could both be put into place as a home defense handgun as well as one I would actually carry out and about. I found myself leaving my full sized .357 and my hi cap 9mm at home a lot, so I knew that a full sized .45 was out of the running as much as I wanted a big ol' heavy 1911.

Didn't plan on getting a glock, but the G36 fit my hands, fit my budget, and fit my needs. Couldn't be happier with it...even if it is an ugly lil cuss:p

If you haven't yet, you might want to give a chance to the Generation-4 Glock with the smallest of three removable handle attachment. Changes the grip angle substantially,
Alex

P.S. For a short barrel and long grip, IMO nothing beats the grip of the new 3.8 inch barrel XD(m) with 19 rounds of 9mm, or 16 rounds of .40 s&w.

Last night I had a dream about Redtail hawks. That's not too surprising. I dream about the powerful beasts often. I'm drawn to them and they to me. We really need a thread on personal totem animals:thumbup: Their huge muscular wings whumping them clumsily into the sky as they catch a thermal and glide for hours effortlessly.

Last night it was about an ever watchful bird. Stoic and keen eyed, talons biting deeply into an old fence post. Black and razor-deadly. Merciless tools of swift efficiency curved and dark reflecting back the fear of the doomed prey within their grasp.

Soooooo:p
DSC02153.jpg

I went ahead and blued this for two reasons: One I was bored and I know it looks cool. Two this a knife that is designed to be held close to the body. The bluing should keep it from spotting up. Turned out pretty good for a quick job:) Oh, and another steel bolster. Very pleased:)

Yep:D

Washed the knife in dawn, gave it a rubbing alcohol rub down, and just sponged on the blue. Easy peasy lemon squeezy:)

Cool.
I have one on reserve waiting for my next paycheck, and I like the way the blue looks.:thumbup:

Bluing is not the most effective and durable coating for chopping knives since it's really just meant for covering up holster wear spots, but it tends to work well for light use or SD knives.

The cool part is that as I strop it, the edge will shine through all polished against the blade. Pretty wicked looking:D:thumbup:

The best luck I have had is etching them. I generally use Muriatic acid since i have a lot on hand at work. You don't end up with a dark finish, but you get a deep gray-charcoal gray that looks good. The other cool thing is that the etch generally will react differently to the temper line which means you'll be able to see where they poured the water on the edge.

Looks VERY cool on a full sized khuk where there is a slightly softer tip, a very hard sweet spot, and a softer re-curve. You just have to be careful with the power of the etching solution you use. The stronger the deeper it penetrates. But you can also end up damaging the grip of the knife...or your lungs (trust me:rolleyes:)

I think I might stick with gun blue then.
I can always retouch it if it gets too worn.

The single stack .45 Block feels ok in my hand. Still don't like the trigger pull. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have money for one. Besides, 5 rounds of .44 special Glasers or Gold Dots will protect me just fine.
For a hi-cap, discreet carry piece, I have the Czech CZ 82 in 9mm Mak. 13 rounds or Barnaul Silver Bear or Glaser or XTPs are nothing to sneeze at. The Barnaul ammo has a good reputation for velocity and expansion, running around 1100 fps. The CZ is also truly ambidextrous, having safety and mag release on both sides of the gun.

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue creme is an excellent cold blue. It gives a deep, dark blue. It looks more like hot blue than cold blue. Doesn't stink like cold blue, either.
Nice blue job on that 'bit. I've been toying with the idea of polishing and bluing the blade and hardware on my ATL Cutlery Khukuri for a few years now. I blued the blade of one of my Swedish Mora knives and it looks great.

I don't blame you for loving that little Chief's Special. I've always liked the J frame. A J frame with a good trigger job is a great personal defense tool. Simple, reliable, and accurate. I have a Taurus 85 CH that I carry sometimes. I carry Cor-Bon and +P Silvertips in it. Probably going to switch to Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP +P. I also have carried a Kel-Tec P3AT I bought it for my wife, she loved it, until we got home with it. Then she decided she didn't like it and she gave it to me. WTH?????
I've carried a Taurus Millenium 9mm at times too. It's a 1999 model and has NEVER jammed on me, even when full of pocket lint.

I'd really like to have a Smith Centennial with the steel frame. Maybe a Taurus CIA. But, the Charter with .38 snub weight and .44 punch does just fine for me. Steel frame, Pachmayr Compac grips, Fantastic trigger (as hard as that may be to believe) and more accurate than me. I've owned 7 Charter Bulldogs in my life and haven't had a single one fail me. Shoulda kept the 3 I sold.

Anyhoo, LOVE the bluing on the 'bit. I told auntie that I want a C bit. Just gotta sell some more toys.

Last edited:
P.S. For a short barrel and long grip, IMO nothing beats the grip of the new 3.8 inch barrel XD(m) with 19 rounds of 9mm, or 16 rounds of .40 s&w.

Here's another vote for the Springfield XD or XD(m) line of guns. Great products that are much better designed than Glocks.

How well does that C bit work as a regular knife, using a conventional grip? The design looks like it would lend itself well to holding it with your index finger through the pommel hole like a traditional 'bit, and by holding it with your pinky through the hole to use it like a regular knife.

I could be pretty happy with an XD 19 shot 9mm, but I'd rather have a .45. I'm a big bore fan. I don't own any .40s. I have 9mm and .45, so I've got my bases covered. Wasn't any point in further complicating my ammo buying/reloading issues. I must admit, a .357 SIG version of the 16 shot .40 would be fun.

Interesting. ;) I blued my k-bit, too. You don't want it to flash in the moonlight ...

Nice review. The Cs are curvy suckers.

Mike

How well does that C bit work as a regular knife, using a conventional grip? The design looks like it would lend itself well to holding it with your index finger through the pommel hole like a traditional 'bit, and by holding it with your pinky through the hole to use it like a regular knife.

It works great as a regular knife:) I rarely use the ring myself. It does do a nice job of balancing the blade. It's a little chunky for an EDC utility knife. A JKM-1 or Sarge or any of the little R series are better suited for that. However, the bit does just fine with the chores. lol, just kinda like using a 2lb sledge to drive in a brad:p

The k-bit was my 3rd HI blade. The blade shape is awsome, like a mini kuk. I couldn't help myself and just had to put a micarta handle on mine along with a kydex sheath. The whole time I was worried that I might mess this allready perfect blade up but I'm very happy with the end results. I also couldn't resist blueing it.

Attachments

• IMG00001-20100221-1201.jpg
    IMG00001-20100221-1201.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 87
Back