Kerambits..... What's the big deal?

Walking Man

BANNED
Alrighty then, you get the idea.
I don't unstand this new fascination with a knife that's been around for years, right? AKA Spyderco Merlin.
From what I understand, it's never been all that popular to begin with.
And what's up with the pinkie loop?

Well the pinkie loop adds retention, and the design is very aggresive for defensive purposes.

So are you saying that the design lends itself to defensively holding a knife, rather that offensively engaging an attacker?

So why is any better than a military or CQC9?
BTW I always wanted to see the CQC9 in production.

Kerambits look really cool if nothing else...

I would really like to have one, but they all seem extremely expensive.

the Spyderco Merlin is NOT a karambit...a karambit has several specific design features apart from the blade shape...

Parts-of-a-Karambit.jpg

the "pinkie" ring allows you to spin the knife and hold it in a variety of positions

001.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

check out www.karambit.com for more info.

RL

RL, I know it's not the same thing.
I was refering to the general blade shape.
Duh!!! ;)

While I am it, who invented the Kerambit, or is this a generic name for the shape of the knife?

Originally posted by Walking Man
RL, I know it's not the same thing.
I was refering to the general blade shape.
Duh!!! ;)

I know...and what I am trying to tell you is that it takes more than the blade shape to be a karambit (and not all karambits have a blade like that)

Originally posted by Walking Man
While I am it, who invented the Kerambit, or is this a generic name for the shape of the knife? [/B]

it is generic for a knife that has a front brake, rear brake, safety ring etc.

karambits originated in Indonesia several hundred years ago (11th century, I think)...they were the "Swiss Army knives" of the time...Steve Tarani popularized the modern version and knife designer Liong Mah contributed to their current popularity (I believe he designed at least 5 of the latest ones to hit the market)

RL

On that particular model (Strider?) what is the function of the cut outs on the back. They look a little too agressive for thumb grip. Is the back (outside) edge sharpened?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but does anyone make a decent kerambit for under $100?

Originally posted by PhoulPlae
On that particular model (Strider?) what is the function of the cut outs on the back. They look a little too agressive for thumb grip. Is the back (outside) edge sharpened?

PP, yes, I believe the back edge is sharpened.

You are correct...those cutouts are not a thumbramp...they are flesh rippers!

RL

WalkingMan,

Look at the pic that RL posted. Notice that the butt of the knife (not the ring) tapers before it reaches the ring? And by tapers, I mean in the eidth wise direction (not thickness, I am talkign about height, the view we can see!) Those dips act as brakes as you spin the knife. The knif can be helt in a reverse grip edge down (RL's second pic) and then spun forward to get an extended position (RL's third pic). Withotu those brakes, the spine of the knife can crunch your finger. With those brakes, everything is cozy :) On a side note, the last pic is what most folks think of as a standard knife grip, but for the most part the karambit is held in the other 2 grips. You don't spin the karambit into the saber grip. In fact, I know of no spinning that is done when holding the knife in the forward saber grip. All (most?) of the spinning is done from reverse to extended.

PhoulPlae: Those "serrations", IIRC, are called barbs and they are used for tearing. This Strider/Tarani karambit is double edged as well. Karambits can be found with or withour barbs, single edged, double edged, etc. There are actually a lot of different techniques you can easily do with the karambit, including chopping motions, scraping motions, grinding back and forth with the barbs, etc.

Excellent response Crayola!

As for inexpensive karambits...perhaps you should get in touch with fellow forumite tracer-san...he recently commissioned a custom karambit (actually, he designed it!) from a south American maker who FORGED the knife! I'm not sure whether it was under $100 but I do believe that it was far less than the Strider/Emerson offerings.

(hope it's ok to post this pic ;) )

standard

RL

Aww... thanks RL! Your pics are worth a thousand words! My post was only a 75 or so :)

Do you have any karambits RL? Any trouble with customs? I'd love a karambit (I am getting a trainer in the mail tomorrow) but I am wondering if Canada customs would consider them nuckle duster knives or something super evil and not fit for honest, trustworthy Canadians :(

I'll respond with a pic :)

(Bladerigger/TAD karambit with static cord, Riggercoated sheath)

standard

RL

Those barbs/flesh-rippers/serrations look a little too close to the thumb for comfort. If I was in a situation where I needed to draw my Kerambit quickly without thinking, I would probably rip my own flesh from my thumb first. :eek:

I can't say that I've ever played with one, though, so maybe its not a problem.

Back