Kershaw 1776 Aluminum Question

I would like to purchase the Kershaw 1776 aluminum knife with the etched American flag and Kershaw etched pocket clip but it looks like all the new ones don’t have those two one them, just some on eBay have them both. Does anyone know the reasoning for this? Thank you

Last edited:
f5ef998a-d599-4f42-8ac3-ee9cf111241d

I am not a kershaw guy and my knowledge of the link is very limited. I do know that the HOB Blue and Red S35VN and Black M390 had the laser engraved flag and Kershaw script on the clip. The Olive Green 20CV does not have the laser engraved flag, but does have Kershaw script on the clip. I have no idea what they do on the 420HC knives. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the link can chime in?

JonesE

As far as i know they changed the design of the aluminum as the earlier models were slick to some people (not me, they are fine to me). The new ones are textured as you can see. I have a few links in the earlier aluminum as well as a dividend in the new aluminum. I like both.

I can’t seem to find the source now but I think I read somewhere that the only Link still in production is the 20CV model; the rest were discontinued.

You might try reaching out to Kershawguy. He might know the specifics. He also has some blem Links available.

You might try reaching out to Kershawguy. He might know the specifics. He also has some blem Links available.

This is where I would go as well.

There are laser engravers out there if you are just wanting a flag etched.

So, I did a quick look and saw that the base model of the dividend is also discontinued as well. Looks like the composite blade olive model is still available. Does anyone know if Kershaw is killing off the 1776 and 1812? I hope they stick around and upgrade the base model to something with a better steel than 420HC.

JonesE

Kershaw did say they will be releasing their usa made knives later this year as they are behind. I hope that to include updated 1776 and 1812

If that is the case. Fingers crossed for an updated 1776 and 1812.

JonesE

Kershaw has committed the bulk of their domestic production capacity to the Launch autos. The last new USA release was the Bareknuckle while the Skyline, some Blurs, most Links and the Dividend have been discontinued.

I don’t think they have the production capacity for new USA made knives with one or more new Launch releases per year.

Well, if that is the case. I guess that is the end for me and Kershaw. I only have a hand full of links and a couple of dividends. Autos are illegal in my state and I am not interested in the Chinese made knives.

JonesE

Autos are illegal in my state too. I get that they are making good money and its takes a lot of their resources but links and blurs have always seemed to sell extremely well. Perhaps they will limit those sells to “sprint” releases like the recent m4 blur.

I received my new Kershaw 1776 Aluminum, it does have the flag and the Kershaw on the clip, this knife is sweet and smooth operation, the best knife I have ever owned so far.

Back