Kershaw Autos: which is most comfortable?

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Kershaw Launch autos but I will have to do it by mail. There are several variants and I'm not sure which would be most comfortable. Anyone have any wisdom to impart?

It's really going to depend on your preference. I have the Launch 2 and Launch 6. I prefer the 6, but it has more to do with blade shape and the coffin handle.

That said, keep in mind that the Launch series is a bit finicky when it comes to lock up. There is a good bit of blade bounce, so they sometimes will rebound off the stop pin. It can be a bit annoying, but for a $100 auto it's tolerable. I have found adjusting the tension of the blade and keeping the springs changed helps.

D82FCA37-F775-4B11-A3E1-809A245F98EF.jpeg I had 2 of them........a 1 and a 3. Neither would lock up unless blade spine was facing up when firing........ever. Both springs broke without much use. Kershaw never addressed the issue.
A Pro Tech is such a better auto. I’d try a TR3. Not much more expensive and they are extremely reliable.

I also have a 6, have used it for a little over a year now and love it. The only blade bounce I get is if I am opening the blade upside down (arm lowered at my side, blade facing down). The CPM154 steel is well heat treated, holds a keen edge, and strops p very nicely...I regularly use it for my go to around the house working blade.

Only Kershaw auto I have and have owned is the long discontinued Kershaw Breakout 7000CKT. It is one of the hardest firing autos I have owned, and I really like the scale pattern. I’d post a picture but I’m at work. If you could even find one now I would highly recommend it. I have not tried any of the new Launches or anything else.

#6 has been the best for me. Blade bounce can be fixed by adjusting the pivot. Also not holding down the firing button when opening will defeat blade bounce. Button just needs to be pressed, not held down. For the price I really like mine and have had no problems except for minor tweaks.

I have a 7, a couple 4’s and a couple 3’s. I think the Launch 7 has the best grip, with the launch 3 coming in at a close second place. Never had a 6 tho... and out of all my Kershaw autos I only had a little trouble with one of the 3s not locking up. I just kept opening/closing it probly a hundred times and it works much better now, probly just had to break in.

#6 has been the best for me. Blade bounce can be fixed by adjusting the pivot. Also not holding down the firing button when opening will defeat blade bounce. Button just needs to be pressed, not held down. For the price I really like mine and have had no problems except for minor tweaks.

You make a good point. There is a sweet spot on the pivot where the blade will deploy yet not over shoot and rebound off the stop pin. I have also found that if you kinda slide your thumb across the button in a sweeping motion it works very well to fire the blade. If you hold it down, it will bounce a good amount of the time. I'm guessing this was the designed way to open the knife as the crown around the button opens toward the back spacers to give your thumb a natural path.

I need to find my 6. I can't remember where I left it.

Back