Kershaw Blur in S30v?

Browsing Amazon for a potential new EDC, I came across a Kershaw Blur in s30v steel. I already carry a Kershaw Clash, and I must say it is an outstanding knife for the price IMHO. Has anyone carried this knife before to see if the S30v is the real deal or should I look for a different knife?

Most are Sandvik 14C28N stainless.

That would be an upgrade for sure, although the 14C28N has its fans.

Last edited:
if the S30v is the real deal
If by "real deal" you mean "it's actually S30V," I wouldn't worry about any Kershaw on that front. If you mean is it a solid steel, absolutely. The Blur's handle shape, weight, and overall form factor make it a great EDC choice, too -- and nice medium all-rounder.

My only sticking point with the Blur is its grippy bits: They protrude above the rest of the handle, which means every time it goes in/out of my pocket it's a pain in the butt. I sold mine for that reason.

If by "real deal" you mean "it's actually S30V," I wouldn't worry about any Kershaw on that front. If you mean is it a solid steel, absolutely. The Blur's handle shape, weight, and overall form factor make it a great EDC choice, too -- and nice medium all-rounder.

My only sticking point with the Blur is its grippy bits: They protrude above the rest of the handle, which means every time it goes in/out of my pocket it's a pain in the butt. I sold mine for that reason.
What are the "grippy bits" of the Blur? The handle was stated to be just aluminum and nothing mentions the filling in the middle.

What are the "grippy bits" of the Blur? The handle was stated to be just aluminum and nothing mentions the filling in the middle.
I believe they're rubber (Kershaw calls it "Trac-Tek"), kind of like skateboard grip tape but not abrasive. Very grippy.

If they were inlaid below the level of the rest of the handle (like Microtech does on the Socom Elite, say), they'd be awesome.

I have one and it's real. The Sankvik is no slouch either, and I think is actually a little tougher than the S30V.

You can occasionally find them for sale for around 60-70. You cant go wrong with a blur, they're one of the most solid knives. I've owned 3 myself and given away maybe 6 and havent heard a bad thing about them (other than the assist scaring some sheeples).

They also made a versions of the Blur using CPM154 and M4.

But if you want a Kershaw using even better steel, you should consider a Knockout, Dividend or Link with M390. Pretty sure the M390 versions have been discontinued but {like the Blur 154/M4) you can still find them on the 2ndary market.

I own the M390 Knockout, Dividend & Link as well as two "vintage" Kershaws that also used "premium" steels -- the Shallot S110V and Speedform Elmax.

But if you really like the shape of the Blur and want a knife that uses S30V, I'd recommend "upgrading" your choice to the ZT0350 that I own too.

Last edited:
They also made a versions of the Blur using CPM154 and M4.

But if you want a Kershaw using even better steel, you should consider a Knockout, Dividend or Link with M390. Pretty sure the M390 versions have been discontinued but like the Blur 154/M4 but you can still find them on the 2ndary market.

I own the M390 Knockout, Dividend & Link as well as two "vintage" Kershaws that also used "premium" steels -- the Shallot S110V and Speedform Elmax.

But if you really like the shape of the Blur and want knife that uses S30V, I'd recommend "upgrading" your choice to the ZT0350 that I own too.
Listen to this guy lol. Two of the ones I got were from him šŸ˜†

Blur is a classic and very popular for good reason , IMO .

Yes, the Blur has been one of Kershaws "popular" models but I never liked it myself and I personally do not consider it a "classic."

My favorite Kershaw "classic" from the early 2000's was and still is the Shallot, which is more like the ZT0400 Scavenger (that you included w/your photo above) than the Blur. I own the PE and PS versions of the 0400 too.

KE-1840CKT.jpg

I recently sold the only 2 Blurs that I ever owned to Dergyll Dergyll . On the other hand, I still own 7 variations of the Shallot including the silver/black Damascus variations but still need to find the silver/black composite variations to complete the set.

Last edited:
I love the Blur platform and carry several iterations. It especially comes alive with a deep carry clip.

The S30V version has a flat grind, whole the 14C28n version is a hollow grind.

I find 14C28N to be a better all around choice due to the thinner edge and a smidge better toughness.

It also has a flow through design with stand-off spacers, which makes it easy to clean.

The rubberized inserts add a bit of tactility to the aluminum scales. The assorted color options are nice too.

Personally I think the Blur is a staple of the Kershaw lineup.

Last edited:
Yes, the Blur has been one of Kershaws "popular" models but I never liked it myself and I personally do not consider it a "classic."

My favorite Kershaw "classic" was and still is the Shallot, which is more like the ZT0400 Scavenger (that you included w/your photo above) than the Blur. I own the PE and PS versions of the 0400 too.

proxy-image

I recently sold the only 2 Blurs that I ever owned to Dergyll Dergyll . On the other hand, I still own 6 variations of the Shallot including the silver/black Damascus variations but still need to find the silver/black composite variations to complete the set.
Compared to you , my actual hands on experience with KAI is quite limited . (Much more Spyderco and especially Cold Steel for me .)

So, I'm just gonna have to surrender to your superior knowledge base . ;)

I use to carry the Kershaw Blur in S30V. Excellent knife and would recommend it if you're into assisted open.
I eventually got rid of it because I never really liked the recurve.

Compared to you , my actual hands on experience with KAI is quite limited . (Much more Spyderco and especially Cold Steel for me .)

So, I'm just gonna have to surrender to your superior knowledge base . ;)

Just sold off about 35 Kershaws but still own over 50; mostly "vintage" now.

Not really a Cold Steel fan (only own 4 right now) but I could talk your ears off about the over 130 Spydercos that I still own too.

LOL! šŸ¤£

BTW, not to put too fine a point on it but if you want to talk "classic" Kershaws, you really have to go back to the 1970's.

The fixed blade is the Heavy Duty Field Knife (1035) which was produced w/a series of 6 fixed blades which were the 1st knives ever made/sold by Kershaw starting in 1974. The other is the Field Folder (1050) which has made a bit later. Both of these knives are in my limited collection of vintage Kershaws.

See: https://bladeforums.com/threads/fixed-blade-folder-combo.1717322/page-85#post-20416634

These knives were made in Japan and designed by Ichiro Hattori whose knives are collector items in their own right whether custom made or designed for a specific brand like Kershaw.

MTxkbJr.jpg

Last edited:
Just sold off about 35 Kershaws but still own over 50; mostly "vintage" now.

Not really a Cold Steel fan (only own 4 right now) but I could talk your ears off about the over 130 Spydercos that I still own too.

LOL! šŸ¤£
Understood ! My biggest problem is that I fall in love with almost every decent knife I handle , so I hate to part with them .

But , I still want to try out the new ones . Says every hoarder ! :p

Back