Kershaw has requested closure of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't message you, so sent you a regular email. I think the parent company executives have more to do with this move than most people realize. Kai took a big risk using Elmax for a number of high-value ZTs (and one Kershaw) and they seem to have hit some production snags. I don't think internet forums are *that* easy to run, from my experience and in my professional opinion as a political sociologist. But obviously some companies are doing it. The Southard is still my favorite knife, but I'm reluctant to buy more Spydercos because their leaf blade "type" doesn't appeal to me, and because they have a ridiculous "official" warranty policy that *they* don't even bother to observe.

Apart from the renewed concerns about Elmax, though, they (ZT) make very desirable knives. I expect that Elmax will probably go out of fashion as a blade steel now, unless there was just some quirky issue that they can address pretty readily. They might even delay the release of the 566 and do some additional quality control, for the sake of prudence.
Why are we talking about ELMAX right now? There's a thread in Knife Reviews & Testing for that.

Most of the people who have posted in this thread hardly ever participate any other time.
Despite the fact that I have purchased a bunch of KAI products, I am not a fanboy of Kershaw or any other knife company.
After visiting BF on almost a daily basis for the past 3 years or so, I tend not comment unless I think I have something interesting or unique to offer.
This doesn't mean I don't visit the Kershaw sub-forum on a regular basis.

Why are we talking about ELMAX right now? There's a thread in Knife Reviews & Testing for that.

Oh quit. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but it's fairly obvious what precipitated this and I'm just expressing my concern as a knife-buyer. I'm not in the tank for anyone. Somebody's going to discuss Elmax somewhere, that's for sure! And a lot more now than would have been the case before. Look up the thread aways and see if I'm the only one mentioning the secret word.

I still can't message you, so sent you a regular email. I think the parent company executives have more to do with this move than most people realize. Kai took a big risk using Elmax for a number of high-value ZTs (and one Kershaw) and they seem to have hit some production snags. I don't think internet forums are *that* easy to run, from my experience and in my professional opinion as a political sociologist. But obviously some companies are doing it. The Southard is still my favorite knife, but I'm reluctant to buy more Spydercos because their leaf blade "type" doesn't appeal to me, and because they have a ridiculous "official" warranty policy that *they* don't even bother to observe.

Apart from the renewed concerns about Elmax, though, they (ZT) make very desirable knives. I expect that Elmax will probably go out of fashion as a blade steel now, unless there was just some quirky issue that they can address pretty readily. They might even delay the release of the 566 and do some additional quality control, for the sake of prudence.
Not to drift here, but we're not really concerned about Elmax. In fact we love it. Haven't seen 1 come to the factory complaining of performance issues. The handful of posts on them not performing...not sure what to say without seeing and evaluating them. Someone with a problem send us one, we'll post about it. Burnt edges, we addressed that months ago, and put assurances in place to keep that from happening on all our knives. I know the HT and hardness we run Elmax, we've tested it, it performs well, and am not thinking there is a widespread problem.

Anyway back to more fun here. :)

Oh quit. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but it's fairly obvious what precipitated this and I'm just expressing my concern as a knife-buyer. I'm not in the tank for anyone. Somebody's going to discuss Elmax somewhere, that's for sure! And a lot more now than would have been the case before. Look up the thread aways and see if I'm the only one mentioning the secret word.
I wasn't offended. ELMAX isn't the topic of discussion right now, so there's no need for it to be brought up.

This sucks for the Order of KAI guys and I do hope y'all carve out your own little territory somewhere on here. As for KAI, well, this move does little to impress me, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll probably continue to use Kershaws as my go-to inexpensive gift knives, but without the prodding of the threads I doubt the higher end stuff will tempt me quite so much.

TL; DR: Ambivalence rules my heart.

I love Kershaw knives, I love Shun knives, I love ZT knives. I guess I love Kai knives in total. So they will not lose my business. My only issue since joining this forum is with Kai Corp (moderator). I just think he/she is a condescending dick with a shit elitist attitude so I think them backing out from this site will only benefit my opinion of the company....I have been wanting to say that for awhile.

This sucks for the Order of KAI guys and I do hope y'all carve out your own little territory somewhere on here. As for KAI, well, this move does little to impress me, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll probably continue to use Kershaws as my go-to inexpensive gift knives, but without the prodding of the threads I doubt the higher end stuff will tempt me quite so much.

TL; DR: Ambivalence rules my heart.
I appreciate the kind words :). Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

The Kershaw/ZT subforum got me into knives and this forum. I know that its not the end of the world, but im sad to see it go. see all you KAI lovers around!

Not to drift here, but we're not really concerned about Elmax. In fact we love it. Haven't seen 1 come to the factory complaining of performance issues. The handful of posts on them not performing...not sure what to say without seeing and evaluating them. Someone with a problem send us one, we'll post about it. Burnt edges, we addressed that months ago, and put assurances in place to keep that from happening on all our knives. I know the HT and hardness we run Elmax, we've tested it, it performs well, and am not thinking there is a widespread problem.

Anyway back to more fun here. :)

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I wasn't really discussing it as a material, just as the focus of this "social phenomenon," which is sort of my field. I'm glad I'm off-target bringing it up, actually. Just coincidence I guess.

I have been involved in moderating some pretty intense forums. Much more intense than this one, specifically involving religious cults. I know how tough they are to run.

I love Kershaw knives, I love Shun knives, I love ZT knives. I guess I love Kai knives in total. So they will not lose my business. My only issue since joining this forum is with Kai Corp (moderator). I just think he/she is a condescending ---- with a ---- elitist attitude so I think them backing out from this site will only benefit my opinion of the company....I have been wanting to say that for awhile.
You're gonna want to edit out the swear words. You'll get dinged for it.

Man are there some "interesting" posts in here by a few familiar faces and a few not even remotely familiar. Definetly been an eye opener.

Last edited:
LOOK, considering the situation, I'm trying to be tolerant here, but this is not a place or thread to Sass, cuss, and get personal.

KNOCK IT OFF already!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back