Kershaw Ken Onion designed Boa!!!

Dexter,

My "Power Knives" special issue of Blade lists the Boa as having a 3.375(?) blade a closed length of approximately 4 inches. Is this right?! If so that's an incredible ratio. PLEASE tell me it's not a misprint.

Jon

Just a note. I spoke to someone at Kershaw yesterday, who said that the Boa's debut would be delayed a month or so while they put a safety catch on the release. She didn't have any details about how it would work. But they are quite right in wanting to prevent pocket openings.

Justin - I think tepstein answered that one! Then it does sound like they probably won't be shipping until Blade Show time or shortly thereafter. They were scheduled to go into full production next month.

tepstein - thanks for the additional info. Glad to hear they are putting a safety on, but bummed to hear of the delayed release
frown.gif

Ghecko - believe it! It's got good blade/handle ratio. The trick is the reverse curve, deep belly drop point - makes it a powerful cutter with a short blade length.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
AKTI Member # A000005

Living life "on the edge"

[This message has been edited by Dexter Ewing (edited 03-24-2000).]

What a nice looking piece. Yo Dexter, if the knife opens in your right pocket to threaten the family jewels TWICE in one week, I'd say that's not rare!

------------------
Alan L. Burnham
BCC #863

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww a 'safety catch' on the release? Granted that none of us want a knife that opens by itself in the pocket, but I myself also don't want a knife that's a hassle to open. I some ways that kind of defeats fo purpose of even having the flipper in the first place. I'd like some clairification on what they mean by 'safety catch' Maybe I'll give Kershaw a call or if we get lucky, Ken Onion will chime in here
smile.gif

I don't think Kershaw has any plans currently to do the baby....maybe they will depending on sales of the biggie combined with the demand for the small one.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
AKTI Member # A000005

Time for an update on the Boa's production. Spoke with a rep from Kershaw yesterday and he did confirm that they are putting a safety on the knife, as tepstein had reported. This safety will be situated on the handle spine, in the area between where the handle spacer ends and where the index trigger protrudes (knife closed). This is an inobtrusive slide switch type safety, and a notch with be cut into the index trigger. Slide the switch up, the safety engages the notch, preventing unwanted opening. Slide the switch back and hit the trigger instantaneously. If you don't want to use the safety at all, just don't engage it.

The pricing of $185 list is not affected by the addition of the safety.

However, delivery schedules have been modified. Look for the Boa to be shipped in modest quantities starting later next month and continuing through May. The reason for this is that they want to make sure they can monitor QC closely, with the safety and the action. It is Kershaw's goal to begin shipping them in larger quantities in June (hopefully Blade Show time)

Time frames are by no means "etched in stone" and are subject to change.

FYI.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
AKTI Member # A000005

[This message has been edited by Dexter Ewing (edited 03-30-2000).]

Dex,

About the blade length: Is that measurement from the base of the handle straight across to the tip, or is it 3.5" along the recurve edge?

Also, do you know if there is any chance that they might do other colors? I don't want to spend that kind of $ on another black anodized knife. The pattern and brightness of the colored one is fine, but the colors aren't my preference.

Thanks

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword let him sell his garment and buy one." --Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36) See John 3:15- 18

Equalizer - Kershaw measures the blade length from the tip to where the cutting edge stops.

As to other colors, no others are planned to my knowledge other than the multi-color and black. Hope this helps!

------------------
Dexter Ewing
AKTI Member # A000005

I think the color is awsome on this knife. Have they been releasing any yet? If so, where can i get one?

jarlrask - welcome to the forums! Hope you like what you see here. Last I spoke with a Kershaw rep, they said that the Boas will be produced and shipped in limited quantities so they can really pay attention to the QC processes. Around June-July they will begin shipping in large numbers. I'm sure 1StopKnifeShop will have them, as will KnifeCenter, Knife Outlet, Chai Cutlery, and others. Hope this info helps.

------------------
AKTI Member # A000005

Mr. Ewing, How is the lockup on this knife? I have a Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout and the lock gives out with moderate pressure or moderate whacks on the spine. If I invest, 185 on the Boa, I want the lock to be rock solid.

Thanks for giving us shots of both sides, Mr. Ewing. I've lost count of the times a knife's obverse is shown in a magazine but never the reverse. This is a shortcoming in my eyes, as seeing the clip can drastically alter my impression of the knife.

This is a gorgeous knife, though the flash of colors we're starting to see in new knives, well, it's taking me some time to get used to them.

I wonder how the flipper extension will be received by the scared-of-knives sheeple? Being a non-LEO, non-industry KnifeNut, I wouldn't want to whip this one out and hit that extension fast enough that someone near me might mistake it for a switchblade - especially a PC LEO. The motion appears to be exactly the smae as that of pressing a button. I really like this idea, but how will it be perceived by the non-enthusiast?

How is the overall handling? Was it relatively easy and natural to pick up on the new mechanism? Well, I guess that's moot since a safety is being added.

Any idea when they'll add the "I can sense that you have a good enough grasp to not lose me when I open, so I'll open for you (and close later) automatically" sensor? Well, on second thought, I've not sure I want a knife that can read my mind!

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 04-23-2000).]

Isn't a flipper release and a thumbstud a little redundant? And then adding a release safety? Any idea why they didn't just shorten the flipper by about 1/8 inch? That should have eliminated the protuding flipper, the uncommanded openings, and the safety. You would still have an awesome finger guard, a thumbstud, and no safety to worry about.
Also, speaking of finger guard... this should ease a lot of the concerns about the liner-lock, since your finger will be pushing on the guard to keep the blade open during a thrust.

------------------
iktomi

I have 3 Ken Onion knives (not the Kershaw models) and think that it's a shame that they're putting a "safety" on the knife. I've carried my customs and they've never fired in the pocket nor coming out of the pocket.

I understand the manufacturers concerns with safety and lawsuits!

Anyway.......does anyone have an update on the release of the Kershaw Onion Boa?

------------------
GigOne
"Livin' Life - Full Throttle"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Back