1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kershaw Link

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Zosonte, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Zosonte

Zosonte

Mar 30, 2016
    I think I've found it - the highest value USA made folder. It's model number is even 1776. At $38 at a major online retailer, $4 cheaper than the Leek, the Link absolutely blew me away when I received it. I thought it would feel terrible in the hand, but it doesn't. Dmitry Sinkevich designed, it's easily worth twice its price. The edge wasn't hair whittling sharp out of the box and the centering is off to the right, but that's it, and I'm willing to forgive both for the price. The grind looks thick but it cuts steak just as well as any pocket knife I've had. After carrying a Sebenza, I thought I'd never love again. But I do love this knife. Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

2. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
  3. smith357

smith357

Feb 19, 2005
    I picked up a Link the other day, the plastic handled one and really like it, the edge was not up to my standards but that was an easy fix. but a USA made knife at such a low price, I think I might need to get one of the aluminum ones just because.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tbenedict

tbenedict

Feb 9, 2010
    How heavy does it feel? I avoided many heavy knives, but I noticed a dealer exclusive of this model with S35V...which caught my attention.

5. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    The Link is an in house deisgn, not SiDiS

6. Kataphraktos

Kataphraktos

Jan 1, 2016
    I was just about to gripe about how disappointed I was in the Link that now sits in the dishonorable discharge spot in my car's glove compartment . . . but then saw the S35VN version you mentioned, and--wow, that's quite a deal.

That said, there are things about the base model I dislike in addition to the 420HC (though that's certainly what I dislike most about it, even though I'm certainly no steel snob and have Sandvik and 8Cr13MoV knives I like just fine for their purposes). To your question, the Link is kind of a pocket hog for what it is--thick handle and fairly heavy, but the rather slick handle isn't all that long. I wear only large size gloves but can't comfortably get four fingers on it without a lanyard. I really wanted to like it for a host of reasons, but I have other, cheaper knives--even cheaper Kershaws, like the Thermite--that I like a lot better, though sadly they're not made in the USA.

7. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Nice! The Link is just a great knife and made in USA.

It's not a Sinkevich design, as Scurvy pointed out, but it's a great design just the same!

best

mqqn

8. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    That same Link 1776 was the 2nd "real knife" I bought, the first being a Kershaw Nerve on a closeout sale when they discontinued it. What an upgrade that was, and I blame that knife for making me realize that by spending a bit more money, you can get a lot more quality. You are not wrong about it being one of the best value knives around.

9. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Congrats on your Link! It's such a great overall package.

That hollow grind makes this bad boy a wicked cutter, and the Blackwash just adds a touch of cool ;)

10. the_Marshall

the_Marshall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    One of my favorite Kershaw knives, can't say enough good things about it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    It's a great knife, I have one in my pocket right now :)

12. Elsilrac1

Elsilrac1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    May have to break down and get a couple for Xmas gifts...nice knife.

13. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33

Jul 26, 2012
    I wish those exclusives weren't in the bright red and blue aluminum, with the bright backspacer as well. Deep carry clip and upgraded steel are tempting though

14. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    I like the colors on the recent two Links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CascadianAaron

CascadianAaron

Mar 6, 2016
    I just ordered one of the blue special editions, US made, deep carry clip, and S35vn for under $80! Holy shit that is a great deal

16. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    It's a nice knife, but for someone who doesn't give a crap about where a knife is made as long as the quality holds up, I don't find it better than many of Kershaw's China made knives...when it comes to carry and ergos, I actually prefer several of them.

17. msass74

msass74 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I have the blue version and already sold the 420hc one this is now a perfect match for my needs

18. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Eddie loves his. You can tell by how happy he looks.

[​IMG]

19. ericnpeterson

ericnpeterson

Nov 18, 2013
    Just got mine today, and took it to work for the first time for a TON of cutting.
    I absolutely LOVE this knife and I can't find anything disappointing about it. Nothing.
    I got the one with the black handle and I'm so glad I did, love the grip and the look.
    I like the look so much better than the smooth aluminum.
    I'm so happy with this knife, really a joy to work with.
    Great satisfaction all around.