Kershaw Multi tool

Hi guys
Ok I am new to this forum and I would really appreciate some help.

I am a police officer who is looking for a multi tool to carry on duty.
I am not bothered by the size and weight of a multi tool and wont really need it for heavy duty engineering work.
After a lengthy search on the net, I have decided to go for the Kershaw multi tool. My decision was purely based on the fact that the kershaw has a full sized locking blade that can be opened one handed.
has anyone had aany experiance with the kershaw? Is there anything else out there which would be a better choice?

Cheers for any help

If you're looking for a big strong multi-tool, I'd go with one of a SOG PowerLock, SwissTool, or Leatherman SuperTool 200 (not in any particular order). None of those have a one-handed opening knife, but I since you aren't bothered by weight, I'd carry an extra one-handed opening knife as a primary blade instead. The Spyderco Chiinook would be my recommendation based on the assumption that you are looking for simple, strong and strong.

Thanks for the advice. I already carry a S&W 1st response knife and just wanted my Multi tool as a back up to that.
Any reasons not to go for the Kershaw? The SOG power lock was actually my second choice due to the fact I like the idea of one handed opening on a multi tool ( the Kershaw got round that by not having the pliers fold at all).

Oh and as an aside, is the Harley davidson tool made by SOG or just a cheap knock off? I only ask because I live in the UK and I can get the Harley tool for half the price :D

I've have the locking plier Kershaw multi tool for a few years now. I've had very good results with it. Pliers work well and the blade is good. It see quite a bit of use as a small clamp or vise when soldering leads on to small connectors and such. It also got me home on Christmas eve a couple of years ago. I worked the Christmas eve show and headed home about 6 or 7 in the evening. I was about 25 miles from home heading down a ramp to the highway when something hit my ankel and the engine in the truck droped to idle. The throttle cable broke. I got off the road and figured out what happened. I used the Kershaw multi tool to break open the covering of the cable and get to the control wire inside. I fished the wire through the firewall and clamped the plier to it. I tied a dropcord to the tool and used it as a hand throttle to get home. Quite a mess but I made it home.

Leatherman Wave is my option ..... or the new version with clip ....

I have the old one and I love it.

Roloss_valdes

Go with the Kershaw. I got one for my Dad and have wanted one myself ever since. He loves it too--a lot more than the Gerber he lost.

I am on my second Kershaw Multi tool, (the first one my friend conned me out of) and it's the best IMHO. I have had one about five years. I really can't live without it. I solder a lot of wires and it's a neccesity. I had the nylon sheath the first time, but this time I opted for the leather sheath. I replaced the back piece of leather and "lowered" the clip, - it rides lower on my belt. If I lose this one, I will get another. The one hand blade opening is lightening fast and all the tools are replacable. Sears Craftsman was selling these under their name for a while and you can get their replacement parts for cheap. The lengthwise groove in the nose of the locking needle nostrils are perfect for grasping wire and such for soldering or what have you. I never use the little hook deal to lock the tools, I just tighten the vise grips and it's locked good and tight. It's the best on the market, I have used the Leather man crunch and hated it. The vise gripping action makes it a winner!

Personally I EDC a Gerber 800 Legend. I was a service technician, and used it all the time. I still haven't managed to dent the sintered wire cutter, but if I ever do, I love being able to just move it around to a new cutting edge. The file is pretty good, all the tools lock (& sometimes as important, are easily unlocked one handed with a little practice!) Both the scissors (which aren't well designed to be honest - Victorinox are still the best imho) and the knife blade open one handed. Afaik, the tool is only available in this configuration with a part serrated blade, but for police use I'd think that would be a plus. (I'd prefer a plain blade & keep it sharp for my 'use profile'! :D ) I swapped the general purpose saw blade for a hacksaw blade - much better for my purposes.
Now, I can't resist - what's your reason for having an offensive weapon on your person, officer?
Actually, a bit off topic here, but as a police officer, what's your & your force's take on carrying of a lock knife, now that it has to be justified in the same way as if you were carrying a fixed blade?

I forgot to mention one of the best features of the Kershaw. The hacksaw blade... With the jaws of the needle nose open and the hacksaw blade fully extended, you have a very comfortable pistol grip for real sawing. I have sawed bicycle handle bars in half in just about the same time as any hacksaw would and in comfort!

Leatherman WAVE 2004 will be my recomendation for you. is only $60 on www.cheaperthandirt.com
One hand open blades, plus the real tools that you may need. You wont need any more, and if you need more bits you can buy those for $20.
Plus you can buy the pocket clip and the lanyard ring for $5 give it a try and you will see for your self.

Or check www.moontrail.com they have the black oxide version of the wave wich is the coolest tool that I ever see.

Tango44

Back