Kershaw Natrix - Don't buy.

Mo2

7007_profile_1020x400.png

so i got a kershaw natrix. i will say the guy i bought it from had the fastest delivery time i have ever had on any knife ever. shipped that day and got to me way sooner than the ETA they gave me.... after that it just goes down hill.

here is a 1min overview of the problems and its only 1 min i didnt get to add more....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnexfYA9tf/

uploaded to Youtube to embed...

on top of the warped blade there are still rough machining marks in the blade fuller/blood groove. There is very little room to put your thumb on the subfram lockbar to release the blade from open (its also not comfortable at all). the stop pin is simply put, shit.

it has 4 washers on one side, 3 of those washers are some kind of very thin steel with PB next to the blade side. the other side is just 1 pb washer, again very small. the steel is crap, 8cr13mov which wont retain an edge at all, 440c, even as soft as it is in a ganzo is better choice of crap steel and that crap never costs more than $20 and those have steel liners and g10.

if you didnt or cant watch the video... the blade is warped, not straight. it touches the g10. the tolerances are very bad. speed safe is not something i like at all. you cannot de-assist because there is virtually no detent at all. it has a back spacer but the screws on each side screw into a single cylindrical spacer that has locktite. so if you try and unscrew them they just spin. you have to use two screwdrivers and something else for the loctite.

this knife is not worth $40 at all. dont support this kind of crap. $20 max is as much as i would pay. i bought this knife for two reasons.
1. its the mass production version of the 0777
2. Microtech copied the 0777 and called it the matrix... this is the natrix, they took the design back.

they didnt do right by the 0777 and made it a POS. i would have paid more for something better quality, or even a USA version of this knife with better quality.

so save yourself the 40$ and whatever shipping costs and get a ZT 0770cf, zt 0770, Kershaw Link, Kershaw DIVIDEND, or even a Kershaw Skyline.

Last edited:
Would evening out the washers (you said one side had 3steel/1PB washers and the other side had 1PB washer) make the blade center more correctly?. Since there are 5 total, you might would have to just toss one of the thin steel washers, then use 1steel/1PB washers per side. But that may cause unacceptable blade play. That's just one maybe/maybe not fix for a myriad of problems, tho.

sad to see this, I had a very different experience with mine...so far. I assume we got them from the same dealer, because there is only one guy with magic shipping elves that fast:)

My blade is centered and straight, shave sharp as I have come to expect. I agree that the lockbar cutout isn't the most comfortable, but its not a deal breaker for me. The action on mine was a bit stiff at first and felt a little gritty, but 2 drops of nano oil seemed to help a lot. The only tooling mark visible on mine is in the steel lockbar, there are some marks around the edge of the cutout. Loctite is a problem on all knives these days it seems...but I just heat up the screws for a min with a soldering iron to break the bond....no problem. I also wish this was a standard flipper... I'm not a fan of speedsafe myself, but still not a deal breaker for me.
20065628_101337030519071_3838652644574887936_n.jpg

Sorry to hear yours fell short on so many levels...hopefully one bad blade doesn't define a batch.

Yup, same guy shipped mine. i didnt want to include his name in the bad review because it was great shipping.

.but I just heat up the screws for a min with a soldering iron to break the bond....no problem
Same here.

tbo if my major issues were fixed, this is still not a $40 knife at all.

Would evening out the washers (you said one side had 3steel/1PB washers and the other side had 1PB washer) make the blade center more correctly?. Since there are 5 total, you might would have to just toss one of the thin steel washers, then use 1steel/1PB washers per side. But that may cause unacceptable blade play. That's just one maybe/maybe not fix for a myriad of problems, tho.
I dunno for sure if they added the extra washers because the blade was warped or if thats by design, or what.

The blade on the one I received is sharp, centered, straight and no rub, smooth action for a $40 knife

Lemons slip through with all companies. Send it back to the dealer for a replacement.

Lemons slip through with all companies. Send it back to the dealer for a replacement.
I think it was not a lemon because there are 4 washers on one side and 1 on the other. It appears this was done because of the bend in the blade. If the washers we're even on both sides it wouldn't even be able to open due to the bend in the blade. It would then be pressing into Instead of just touching the g10.

So it appears to have been deliberately made like this imho.

I'll see if I can exchange it. From a dealers perspective is it better to go through the dealer for exchange or through Kershaw.

If you send it to Kershaw they take care of it quickly but if you want your money back, you can get it from either one. I would assume that the vendor will give you your money back. Kershaw will give you a credit for the full MSRP and you can apply that credit towards any knife in stock. If the knife you picked is more you can just add the difference. Thats how I got my Blur S30V. Good luck

Reactions: Mo2
Sounds to me like you got a dud. I would send it back for another one before I posted up a thread like this, but that's just me. I'll carry for a while and see how it holds up, but so far I like it.....

Could this knife be de-assisted?
no it cannot. there is no detent hole in the blade and the detent ball that is on the scales is way to small and not raised enough to be a detent. if you were able to push a new detent ball into it and create a hole in the blade in the correct spot, you could potentially do it. but even then it may not work well.

Im kinda confused. It sounds like you hated this knife before you bought it. I mean you hate speedsafe and you hate the steel. So y you dont like the action or materials and you still buy it? Did you do this just to be able to complain about it?

I mean these are all things that are posted when you buy it and on the KAI website. Im in agreement before coming here and bashing the knife saying they are all garbage how bout sending it back and seeing if you got a dud? Or in your case just getting a refund? Because its pretty clear you hated this knife before you bought it.

no it cannot. there is no detent hole in the blade and the detent ball that is on the scales is way to small and not raised enough to be a detent. if you were able to push a new detent ball into it and create a hole in the blade in the correct spot, you could potentially do it. but even then it may not work well.
Ok, thanks!

Just got mine, not from KershawGuy as he was sold out (and would probably inspect the knife before sending it) but from a non BF sponsor dealer. The blade is literally curved 1/8" easily to the right side, its laughable. I've requested a replacement from dealer if they have ones that aren't junk, how this made it past QC I cannot fathom. Each time you open it the stop pin behind the pivot gets pulled out of the G10 almost to the point of falling out. Terrible QC and very unsafe, pics to follow later.

I have a feeling we might see a recall on this model.

Reactions: Mo2
Here's another review of someone else that explains it way better

I just received my Natrix from member "bigolegator" and I will say this, if the one I received is a good representation of the model, then the majority of Natrix buyers are going to be well pleased. This one is spot on as far as blade centering and overall fit and finish. The action is a bit stiff but still opens well and locks up solid. The blade looks perfectly straight and the grinds appear to be even on both sides. The edge is well finished , evenly cut, and will shave arm hair. For the price it appears to be great quality knife. I am well pleased with it and it's going straight into my daily rotation. It is a very pretty and stylish knife which I will use and display proudly.

Last edited:
Back