Kershaw Onion Scallion and Chive

Haven't seen a review of these little beauties, so though I would add one. I have been a fan on Ken Onion's designs for about a year since my wife got me my first, a whirlwind for a present. As others have noted, Speed Safe opening system is great.

I decided to get a Chive for my father and got the Scallion for my self since the price was so cheap. Each we slightly over $30 at One-Stop. These are very impressive knives. For those of you not familiar with them, the Chive has a SS handle, while the Scallion has black plastic with double SS liners. Both have twin studes that stop the blade, but open with a flicker on the back spine that turns into a lower guard like the Boa. Both offer a blade lock to prevent opening in your pocket.

These are small knives, but feel much bigger than they are. The chive is plain edge with about a 2 1/2" blade, while my Scallion is a combo edge with 2 3/4" blade. The blade shape is excellent, sort of a modified spear point but with lots of belly for cutting. The serrations are different from others I have, being finer than the spider edge style. A very flexable edge and shape.

The Scallion has become my EDC. Really well though out. I found that I can release the safety with my little pinky while holding knife in the opening position. The handle shape is great. There is nice treding on the blade back with a a knotch in the handle that provides for good thumb placement. Though a small handle, it provides very secure purchase.

Definately a good choice for a small knife.

I fell in love with these little knives at Blade Show and ordered 6 Chives and 2 Scallions. I carry the Chive every day, sometimes as a money clip, (if I have any folding money on me). The others I've been giving away as gifts, in fact I gave one away today to my sister-in-laws boyfriend who doesn't own a knife :eek:
I told him everyone should own a knife.

I'm just back from the MILIPOL trade show (Paris, France) and have found my Black Chive at home! Boron Carbide coated version with very smooth satin finish on the handle (polished?), all black excepting the clip.
Cool for gentleman's knife role, please take a long, careful look onto this little one.

Back