Kershaw pico

I have been looking at the Pico with a 2.9 inch blade. No-one here where I live stocks them. I really like the design and the blade shape. Does anyone have or had one of these,if so what are your thoughts. I am needing a couple less expensive knives for work. I'm getting s tenacious and want a couple more. Had to sell most of my knives due to sickness I've finally been able to get to work

Don’t know about that but the Kershaw Fraxion is stocked at a lot of places that have Kershaws $24 and you can check them out before buying. Not normally in to this price range but this little guy is fantastic light good kvt action and detent. Looks cool as well

Big fan of Les George and I can see why you'd be attracted to his design.
You might try Kershaw Guy, who is, or at least used to be, a member-advertiser here.

I'm not a big fan of assisted folders or steel bodies, although the Pico specs say it's not that heavy.

I second the recommendation for the Fraxion, which is a decent, inexpensive, light-weight, manual (non-assisted) folder.

The Fraxion is light enough that I can pocket-carry in running shorts while I walk the dogs. And cheap enough that if I break or lose it, I won't cry.

But if you're attracted to Les's Pico design without being able to handle it, you should be able to find it online.

I have a Pico (3470) It's part of my Les George Kershaw collection. It's fine. Nothing to really distinguish it other than it was made by George and reminds you of his diminutive ZT0900, which I also have.

It is also very similar to RJ Martin's Kershaw Zing (1730SS). The Zing weighs 1oz less and uses a unique scooped out hollow grind on the blade which is probably what mainly accounts for the lighter weight but at only an ounce I really don't find that weight difference significant. I would likewise compare the Pico to Ken Onion's Leek (1660) which is similiar in size but also an ounce lighter like the Zing. The other obvious difference between the Pico, Zing and Leek is the blade design, which is a drop point, spear point and wharncliffe, respectively. So, if you like the look of these small 3" silver bodied knives, I'd say that apart from price, the choice really comes down to what weight and blade shape you would prefer more. You can find them all on eBay.

I own them all and I don't think you can go wrong w/any of them. Personally, I prefer more "heft" in my knives. So, I lean towards the Pico but there's nothing wrong w/the Zing or Leek either. Just comes down to personal preference.

PS: I also own Anso's Kersahw Fraxion (1160) and Method (1170) knives. I bought them because I like the design of the knives. They are very light and have very pointy blades but I like knives w/more mass and am not sure they would hold up to heavy use as an EDC. IMO, the Pico, Zing or Leek would be a better choice in this regard.

Last edited:
Not totally related to the topic, but I'd recommend holding off on the Tenacious if you've already got a Raven 2.
As I see it, the only reasons to get a Tenacious over a Raven 2 is if you really need longer blade edge or if that point on the lock bar bothers you. Other than those 2 factors, and they can definitely be deal breakers, I think the Raven 2 meets or exceeds the Tenacious in just about every way (assuming you get a decent QC'd one but that's a risk with both).

Great ergos for the size, and incredible deals to be had (I bought two a while back for $12 each). I think the Pico is a gem for the money, and a great gift.

Not totally related to the topic, but I'd recommend holding off on the Tenacious if you've already got a Raven 2.
As I see it, the only reasons to get a Tenacious over a Raven 2 is if you really need longer blade edge or if that point on the lock bar bothers you. Other than those 2 factors, and they can definitely be deal breakers, I think the Raven 2 meets or exceeds the Tenacious in just about every way (assuming you get a decent QC'd one but that's a risk with both).

FWIW, I don't think that the Raven 2 "exceeds the Tenacious in just about every way."

Apart from the ergonomics, the main difference is the blade steel -- CTS BD1 vs 8Cr13MoV in the Raven 2 and Tenacious -- which is the main advantage that the Raven 2 has over the Tenacious. Otherwise, the blade & handle length are essentially the same, they both use a liner lock and handle material is also G10 for both. So, there really isn't any other significant difference between the 2, except for the use of the teardrop vs Spydie hole in the blade.

So, if the knife is going to be a heavy "user" and you can get both knives for the same price (which you can), then the Raven 2 would be the better buy. However, if you don't plan to use the knife for more than cutting open a few letters or boxes, it really doesn't matter which you choose.

On the other hand, there is the generally negative "stigma" associated w/the Byrd line, as just cheaply made Chinese products to fill the lower priced knife market (which it is). In Spyderco's words, the Raven 2 was produced in order to "usher in a new era for the byrd line" but why buy a knife with such negative brand connotations, if you can buy a knife that doesn't suffer from such stigma, even if the knife "rocks" in other ways?

If you don't care what other people think, then it doesn't matter. If you own a lot of other knives and this is just one of them, it also doesn't matter. But, for someone who cares what others think, only has enough $ to buy a few "good" knives and doesn't plan to use the knife for more than cutting paper and cardboard, the Tenacious would probably be the better choice.

I'm not saying that the Raven 2 isn't worth buying, it is, but there are other things to consider when buying anything (knife or otherwise) and for the OP to stick with his choice to buy a Tenacious. Or better yet, bite the bullet and buy a Para Military 2 or Para 3 instead which also arguably far exceed the Raven 2 "in just about every way." ;)

Last edited:
FWIW, I don't think that the Raven 2 "exceeds the Tenacious in just about every way."

Apart from the ergonomics, the main difference is the blade steel -- CTS BD1 vs 8Cr13MoV in the Raven 2 and Tenacious -- which is the main advantage that the Raven 2 has over the Tenacious. Otherwise, the blade & handle length are essentially the same, they both use a liner lock and handle material is also G10 for both. So, there really isn't any other significant difference between the 2, except for the use of the teardrop vs Spydie hole in the blade.

So, if the knife is going to be a heavy "user" and you can get both knives for the same price (which you can), then the Raven 2 would be the better buy. However, if you don't plan to use the knife for more than cutting open a few letters or boxes, it really doesn't matter which you choose.

On the other hand, there is the generally negative "stigma" associated w/the Byrd line, as just cheaply made Chinese products to fill the lower priced knife market (which it is). In Spyderco's words, the Raven 2 was produced in order to "usher in a new era for the byrd line" but why buy a knife with such negative brand connotations, if you can buy a knife that doesn't suffer from such stigma, even if the knife "rocks" in other ways?

If you don't care what other people think, then it doesn't matter. If you own a lot of other knives and this is just one of them, it also doesn't matter. But, for someone who cares what others think, only has enough $ to buy a few "good" knives and doesn't plan to use the knife for cut more than paper and cardboard, the Tenacious would probably be the better choice.

I'm not saying that the Raven 2 isn't worth buying, it is, but there are other things to consider when buying anything (knife or otherwise) and for the OP to stick with his choice to buy a Tenacious instead. Or better yet, bite the bullet and buy a Para Military 2 or Para 3 instead which also arguably far exceed the Raven 2 "in just about every way." ;)
I've looked at the para 2 alot. I've also looked at the manix 2. The manix 2 is one that I will be getting soon hopefully but in the mean time I need what many call a beater knife. One where if I roll the edge by hitting metal or something then it can be reproduced if need be fairly easily. The raven 2 is great but I am looking at the tenacious because of the usable blade on it. The longer reach will come in hamdy. Spyderco and kershaw are 2 of my favorite modern folders.

I also have a pico and zt0900. They are both great knives with quality and performance appropriate for the price. The pico assisted opening is super snappy.

Back