Recommendation? Kershaw Shallot hinge screw tightness with no AO spring

I removed the spring from a Kershaw Shallot, I didn't like having an AO knife. I applied superlube to the assembly and I reassembled the knife so that it still had the tension bar's sheetmetal liner guide piece but I left the tension spring out. Blue loctite was applied to all the torx screws.

First of all, I am not sure if that was a good idea to keep the guide in or if I should have left it out. Will the additional tightness kill the paper-thin sheet metal guide over time?
Secondly, What is an appropriate amount of torque for the hinge? If its too tight will it gradually wear the bead blast finish down excessively? I want things to be fully reversible in case I sell it later. Thanks.

You have nothing to worry about. The sheet metal needs to go back in as it provides a wear plate of sorts for one of the the washers to ride on instead of the handle scale itself. As for the bead blast finish adjusting the pivot tighter will have no effect on the finish of the bead blast. The only areas that touch are the washers and the washers on the liners. But the blade doesn't rub on the handle nor the handle on the blade. As long as you assembled the knife properly and only removed the torsion bar you should be fine. Running the pivot tight may have the contact areas where the washers sit polish out over time but no failure is going to occur and that wear will only be visible when the knife is disassembled.

Thanks that answers my questions perfectly :). Did likewise with my leek just now. Much easier to clean these to just take them apart, past couple years I had been dripping oil into the leek and all that did was gum it up. Soap and water on all component parts, towel dry, reassembly with superlube on all wear surfaces and a dab of blue loctite on all threads. Very simple, and worth the effort.

Last edited:
Back