Kershaw Strata pre release. Hit or miss?

Kershaw Strata series. Hit or miss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just as the opening header says. Hit or miss? These have been late in their release date.
Kershaw Strata XL Frame Lock Knife Black G-10 (5.4" Bead Blast) The Strata Large is approximately 1 inch shorter in blade and handle length. Let's see some votes.
  • Overall Length:12.00".
  • Blade Length:5.40".
  • Cutting Edge:-.4-5 depending on choice
  • Blade Width:-.
  • Blade Thickness:-.
  • Blade Material:D2
  • Hardness:-. IDK
  • Blade Style:Clip Point.
  • Blade Grind:-.
  • Finish:Bead Blast.
    Lock type:Frame lock
16012f962f2462.jpg

Blade of that size on a folder I'd really prefer a back lock. If it must be a frame or liner lock, you gotta do better than Kershaw's Chinese OEM. I've never advocated for secondary locking devices on liner/frame locks, but this is one case I'd like to see one.

Blade of that size on a folder I'd really prefer a back lock. If it must be a frame or liner lock, you gotta do better than Kershaw's Chinese OEM. I've never advocated for secondary locking devices on liner/frame locks, but this is one case I'd like to see one.
You bring up a very good point on a secondary lock for a blade this size on a Frame lock.

I have no idea what your poll is trying to ask but I’m definitely going to pick up a Strata when I can!
I am new to the forums and apologize if I made a confusing poll.
I was trying to ask in simpler terms if the Kershaw Strata would be a hit as in worth purchasing.
A miss as not worth purchasing.
Or undecided as in unsure if it is a good knife or not.
I hope I clarified things a bit better.

I really liked the design, but when I saw where it was made I lost interest. Too bad, I probably would have gotten both had they been US made.
I would have considered it myself even if it was made in Taiwan. As they are at least our allies. And in general truthful about their steels. But yeah I have to agree with you on the origin being a deal breaker.
To me it is not necessarily the country but their constant blatant lying of the steels they use. Like their over hardening of 8cr steel claiming it to be D2.

Although I have generally written off Chinese Kershaws due to so many bad experiences with them, I still am tempted to get the smaller Strata, if only to have it to compare to some of my other big folders.

it does look like a cold steel voyager xl, you might as well go with that
https://pics.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/coldsteel/images/CS29AXCn.jpg
CS29AXCn.jpg

I only own 2 of their products. A Dragon walking stick and a Vintage first year production Bushman.
I am not much of a fan of Cold Steel anymore. Aside for some of their older vintage stuff or canes.

I had 2 of their newer voyagers in AUS10 I paid a total of $110 for. One being fully serrated. The other plain edge.
The handle is much too aggressive on pockets and torn callouses from my hands.
The serrated version snapped teeth from cutting down cardboard boxes at work.

I sold them both for $10 to get rid of them ASAP. And started buying USA and Italian made knives even if the cost was higher than I liked.
I have not considered any more of their products in over 4 years.
But I will admit the AUS10 upgrade was a nice touch to their Counter points and Voyager models.

Let's hope GSM does not decide to downgrade all their blade steels to 4034 and 7 or 8 CRMOV class. And can somehow take Cold Steel into the future as a viable product. For I do realize many people like and use their products.

But I am not counting on GSM to do so.

I would have considered it myself even if it was made in Taiwan. As they are at least our allies. And in general truthful about their steels. But yeah I have to agree with you on the origin being a deal breaker.
To me it is not necessarily the country but their constant blatant lying of the steels they use. Like their over hardening of 8cr steel claiming it to be D2.
Yeah, pretty much any place but China and I'd consider it. I'm pretty sure Kershaw only makes them here or China. I don't think they have factories anywhere else.

5.4 inches of D2 for $70 street price?

The knife carries well and is not as heavy as one would think - carries MUCH better than the Voyager and the handle is a lot more comfortable.

As to the lock, it is sufficient; it's not meant to be a chopper or an axe nor a substitute, it's a knife and a fun one in my experience after only one day of being able to handle one.

It is a big one!
20210414_172544.jpg

Too bad the poll closed before people who actually HAVE one could vote...

best

mqqn

I’m certainly in the market for one or both, and I’m looking forward to putting that design through some work.

5.4 inches of D2 for $70 street price?

The knife carries well and is not as heavy as one would think - carries MUCH better than the Voyager and the handle is a lot more comfortable.

As to the lock, it is sufficient; it's not meant to be a chopper or an axe nor a substitute, it's a knife and a fun one in my experience after only one day of being able to handle one.

It is a big one!
20210414_172544.jpg

Too bad the poll closed before people who actually HAVE one could vote...

best

mqqn
I dig it. Light, thin folders with long blades are a little unusual and I like that KAI seems to have stepped out of their comfort zone a bit with this one. I think I'll pick up the regular for novelty and to encourage them to try more fun designs, though I suspect I'll carry and use it a fair amount as well.

Nice to see Kershaw break out the 4" blade max limit that most companies impose on themselves. I'll definitely be getting the XL strata. It reminds me of the original Cold Steel Vaquero Grande.

I would have voted "Miss".

Easy pass for me. I generally carry a big blade (3.5"-4") but this is too big for my liking. Even the Large doesn't interest me.

I'm also not a fan of the design. Just not my style. YMMV.

I don't have any real use for a knife this size, not even on the weekends. Given that I have multiple Cold Steel knives in this size range, I don't really see a need for the Strata and won't be purchasing any. I can't recall the last time I purchased a Chinese-made Kershaw, it's been several years at least. No reason for that to change now.

It's big and looks pretty slicey...I'll probably snag the first one I see on the exchange;)

Back