Kesar Lal & Bookie's Big Gold Expedition, Part 1

b.JPG a.JPG bb.JPG c.JPG d.JPG e.JPG f.JPG g.JPG h.JPG Namaste! These past few days, my faithful companion Kesar Lal and I took my Grandsons out to Northern California in search of that elusive yellow stuff. Not going into a lot of details, but Kesar definitely made the trip easier on all of us as we all put him through his paces at one time or another and iron clad-confirmed that Mrs. Martino provides one helluva dependable khukuri. At the end of the trip there were a few small nicks just above the sweet spot. Ol' Kesar is one well built khuk and tough as nails, but even he cain't always eat his way through rocks. The following pics are of Day 1 of our outing and will give you a taste of the terrain and physical ordeal. Steep and rocky country, fellers. Oh. There was a Griz bear (bit completely through Jim's large 9 volt lantern battery) and a bob cat that was hangin' around while we was chillin'. But Bookie was on the alert and Kesar was gettin' ready to open a can of nastiness if he had to. Yeah, Bawanna. Ol' Kesar eat his way through that little stump so's we could pass by. The pic of the gold is just the first sample pan taken to decide if I should stay or should I move on. What do you think? Later, and in Part 2 of this, you'll see a pic of all the gold I wound up with.
a.JPG View attachment 756900 bb.JPG c.JPG d.JPG e.JPG f.JPG g.JPG h.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a great time and some pretty country. Glad ole Kesar came through for you. I had no doubt he wouldn't let you down.

It was beautiful, Bawanna. Hot, but beautiful. Panning out the black sand concentrates and the yellow stuff is beginning to accumulate!

Looks like a great time, that khuk and rig are still looking good man and the yellow stuff looks even better. So cool to do it and even better getting results if even flakes it will add up quickly. Glad to see you out and about brother.

Pugs, amigo, let me tell you....your pair of pants kept ol' Kesar snug! The terrain was just plain nasty and admittedly I took several falls. (Ever seen an old pilot fly without his chopper?) The khuk's blade was held secure even though the snap was not closed. That fact was a great relief to know after rolling downhill for about 40 feet. The leather does not show it in the photo, but we took a serious dunking in ye swimming hole....and had to force myself to stay in and try it out for a few minutes. Great fun. Do believe after the sheath got wet, and since it didn't shrink on me, the sheath became more form fitted to the blade and extraction is smoother and faster. Still, you can hold it upside down and the khuk will not fall out. Love it, love it, love it. I am still impressed with your killer craftsmanship and will recommend your sheaths to anyone and at anytime.

Pugs, amigo, let me tell you....your pair of pants kept ol' Kesar snug! The terrain was just plain nasty and admittedly I took several falls. (Ever seen an old pilot fly without his chopper?) The khuk's blade was held secure even though the snap was not closed. That fact was a great relief to know after rolling downhill for about 40 feet. The leather does not show it in the photo, but we took a serious dunking in ye swimming hole....and had to force myself to stay in and try it out for a few minutes. Great fun. Do believe after the sheath got wet, and since it didn't shrink on me, the sheath became more form fitted to the blade and extraction is smoother and faster. Still, you can hold it upside down and the khuk will not fall out. Love it, love it, love it. I am still impressed with your killer craftsmanship and will recommend your sheaths to anyone and at anytime.

Good looking sheath, good looking family.

Great times Doc! Id have to stay there for a while yella or no yella! Thats some nice country! Love the little sluices:thumbsup:

It was cool, Kamidog, to say the least. We only parked 3/4 mile from the stream, but seems there were a little over 2,000,000 feet of elevation difference in the middle. If Angus joins the forum, he'll tell you about the trip, too. Sent you a PM.

Back