Keto dieting for weight loss- Anyone else?

BFS

Gold Member
Most of my life I was in pretty good shape. As I've gotten older I've put on a lot of extra pounds. Three weeks ago I was 6'3" and 300 lbs. I started the Keto diet then as a lifestyle change and I'm honestly trying to lose 100 lbs.

I'm eating around 150 gms of fat, 75 gms of protein and 20 gms of carbs per day for around 1800 calories. Most of my fat comes from grassfed butter, coconut oil, heavy cream, bacon, sausage, cheese, walnuts and red meat. Carbs are from veggies. No starch, sugar or fruits.

In three weeks, I've dropped 10.5 lbs. I'm taking multi vitamins and lots of extra electrolytes since I'm prone to cramping anyway. I also started light weight training. I'll go heavier once my body starts to get accustomed to it.

I've gone thru the lethargy part, but I can't shake this constant nagging low grade headache. A really foggy feeling everyday, all day. I'm drinking at least a gallon of water a day and urinate frequently, so I know I'm not dehydrated.

The diet is working as planned, but the headaches suck. F asking a doc, so I'll ask the Keto veterans here. Any tips about the headaches and how has your long term dieting worked for you? Thanks for any help

Not a keto guy, but most diets eliminate sodas as well. If you were drinking caffeinated sodas and cut them out, that could be the source of your headaches.

The headaches are probably from your body detoxifying, make sure your getting adequate salt. I do ketogenic diets on and off. Have great success. You can have coffee but what I did was use stevia sweetener, tablespoon of coconut oil, and a tablespoon of whole fat butter. In my coffee.

The constant urinaranition is normal after about 4 days. Your body hits ketosis, thats when I cut out breakfast, the next week or two cut out both breakfast and lunch, and just eat a big dinner. Your body is used to burning fats, so when you aren't eating it burns stored body fat. Obviously you should consult a physician before this.

I was drinking a few diet sodas a week before I started the diet, but I stopped using all artificial sweeteners except for Stevia. I'm still drinking my coffee including a cup of Bulletproof coffee in the mornings. This past week, I'm only having the coffee in the morning and dinner. I didn't consult a Dr. but I didn't have any other health issues.

Thank you guys for the help.

Bulletproof Coffee recipe:
2 Tbsp Kellygold butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp MCT oil
1 Tbsp cream
Dash of vanilla extract
All blended into 12 oz of coffee.

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot the heavy cream. Lol. Today I ate 2 eggs. Lunch chicken thigh with cheddar cheese, dinner a big salad with raw onions, fresh chopped garlic, and tomatoes. Whole chicken breast.

I usually cheat with zevia soda, it's about the best carbonated soft drink imho.

Sounds like Keto Flu. Considered normal part of the carb withdrawal process.

Careful tho. That diet is like everything else: NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE.

I did it and felt amazing for months. Then got exhaustion, fainting, and CONSTANT heart palpitations (talking fish flopping in chest) until I started back on the carbs. I'm actually wondering if I had some mild heart attacks, as I was experiencing terrifyingly identical symptoms. No I didn't go to the doctor, because I am too stupid.

I regret that decision tho, because Ive had palpitations ever since. I really wonder if I might have damaged my heart permanently.

Point being, BE CAREFUL. It isn't a magic, one size fits all bullet. Just be aware that there are some people out there who did it correctly and still had very bad problems.

Good luck to you and take care.

Thx.

Thanks JB. I've always had bad leg cramps. With this diet, I was getting them in weird places like my sides and back. It made me wonder since my heart is a muscle, what if it cramps? So I started taking potassium, magnesium and calcium twice a day. Now I get an occasional twinge but no full on cramp.

I think us men avoid doctors because they kill a few hundred thousand people a year with crappy care and mis-diagnosis. My wife is a dietician and this diet goes against everything she was taught. It's a whole new learning experience for her.

I'll try to find the stevia soda Krav. Hope they make it in root beer flavor.

Yes they have ginger root beer. 👍 I also take Tangy Tangerine as my vitamin. Or optimen. Intermittent fasting is a good healthy thing. Just take it easy and follow what your body is telling you.

Tangy tangerine...drool. My favorite part of the day is when I get to eat my fruit flavored Tums for my calcium. As good as a peanut M&M could ever be.

I cheated and had a ripe fig off the tree today. I don't remember honey being any sweeter. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever tasted.

Headache is not unusual with a change to a low carb diet, but usually eases up. 20 grams a day is pretty low, have generally not tried to go that low with it myself.

Headache is not unusual with a change to a low carb diet, but usually eases up. 20 grams a day is pretty low, have generally not tried to go that low with it myself.

I've been fantasizing about blueberry pancakes with a pecan/maple syrup. I guess I'll settle for some pork rinds.

Tonight I made a Father's smoked ham and sausage patty smothered in grated sharp cheddar, topped with a easy over fried egg covered in a roasted garlic Hollandaise. It was pretty good.

e7yy3p.jpg

I can help you out if you wish. Lose weight none of those headaches lol

And no not selling anything; I've met some Amazing people on here and would love to genuinely help. Shoot me an email if you wish.
Most I've gotten someone to lose was 89lbs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to knivesandreels for the private help.

The carb craving got to me the other night. I give my dog a pill by covering it in honey, putting it into her mouth and letting her lick the rest of the honey off my fingers. She didn't get to lick the honey that time. Dog mouth and honey tastes awesome BTW.

You have to have a system that works for YOU !! Not anyone else .not some "by the numbers Doc " And things will change as you proceed.

I'd be careful, with your gall-bladder, as well. My wife's best friend, and her mother both had to have them removed, due to gall stones, both within a year of each other, due to the Atkins diet.

Still have mild headaches after six+ weeks and it's wearing on me. Lost 14 lbs. and still craving sugar. Dieting is friggin hard. It was much easier having no discipline and being a fat ass. Only 86 pounds to go. Ugh.

You don't have to stick with Keto... you can change the content of your diet as much as you want, as long as you keep to the same number of cals/day you'll continue losing weight at the same rate. In people with normal genetics taking in less calories than you burn is really all there is to weight loss.

I admire your discipline, keep up the good work! It's tough to stick with a calorie deficit, and it's tougher when there are other restrictions thrown in as well.

Last edited:
Do you guys use this diet just for weight loss or for any other reasons as well? I only know it since I am epileptic and this is being used as a treatment for epilepsy. (also considering trying it out)
Don't think I would lose much weight, just managed to get from just over 200 lbs to just under at 6' 4" or 5" (I'm used to metric) Living in the Netherlands we are also more used to less sugar and smaller meals, I usually gain weight when I'm stateside. ;)
How long do people here usually do this diet for?

Back