Kevlar thread for stitching sheaths

OK I thought I was being clever and got some 50 pound test SpiderWire to stitch sheaths with.

It actually is made of Dyneema which is stronger than Kevlar, but Kevlar is what people are familiar with.

Your average run of the mill knife? You have to work at cutting through the SpiderWire.

My knives? They cut through SpiderWire like it was cotton thread. No protection at all. None. Zip Zero Nada. :(

So what next? Steel guitar string for stitching sheaths? :confused:

OK so I MUST glue my welt. Period.

Yes, you should always glue the welt, and if you want an extra layer of protection, just before you join the two halves or make the fold on a pouch run bead of something like JB Weld on the inner boundaries of the and then finish your glue up and stitch. I use the JB Weld KWIK (sets in 5 minutes).

Paul

I've made scandi sheaths with Dyneema fishing wire.(it cuts in to your fingers while stiching)
But it is no compensation for not glueing properly

If you are cutting your stitching its sheath design, construction or both. Not the knife or the thread.
No I didn't cut the stitching on a sheath. I just cut a piece of line as a test. With a not-so-sharp knife I had to saw on it for a while. With a sharp knife it sliced right through with no effort. In fact, I didn't even have to hold the line taut.

OK I thought I was being clever and got some 50 pound test SpiderWire to stitch sheaths with.

It actually is made of Dyneema which is stronger than Kevlar, but Kevlar is what people are familiar with.

Your average run of the mill knife? You have to work at cutting through the SpiderWire.

My knives? They cut through SpiderWire like it was cotton thread. No protection at all. None. Zip Zero Nada. :(

So what next? Steel guitar string for stitching sheaths? :confused:

OK so I MUST glue my welt. Period.
Maybe try the guitar string and keep us posted on what you come up with.

I want to saddle stitch a cue case with picture hanging wire, think fire line braid but made with wire and 1/8" thick, for a while now. It would be ugly and ouchie to do but would probably look great.
I've used braided fishing line to fix stuff and it seems like that it is so thin it wants to cut into the leather.

It'll cut your hands like a steak knife if you're not careful. Hung up a lure once and put a nice cut in a leather work glove when I was trying to get the lure free and the line slid in my hand.

Why do you want to use those different kinds of thread that are not made for stiching?
Normal thread is strong enough

Why do you want to use those different kinds of thread that are not made for stiching?
Normal thread is strong enough

Well, I thought it would be obvious, but if I really have to explain...

It is a fallback in the event that the edge somehow slips around the welt. I've never had it happen...but then I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Well, I thought it would be obvious, but if I really have to explain...

It is a fallback in the event that the edge somehow slips around the welt. I've never had it happen...but then I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
If you glue the welt in properly then this would never be an issue

A good glue joint does not come lose.
New leather shoe soles can be glued on without stiching, they don't come off and endure a lot more stress.

You're not asking about a belt and suspenders, you're asking if you can hold up your pants with a metal chain because you don't know to properly use a belt

And for the record, knives go thru kevlar vests quite well.
:D :D :D

Then your shoemaker didn't do a good job
Rough up the leather, apply glue to both sides, let it dry, apply glue a second time, let it dry again, apply a bit of heat with a paint stripper, press together and tap it with a hammer.
It won't come lose

Back