KFU Classic

Spotted this knife when Chris posted it on the exchange, couldn't resist!

What I like about it is it emulates the typical Scandinavian style of knife, drop point with a relatively flat sided handle. However, unlike most Scandi knives Chris has put a high convex grind on this one. A winner in my book:)

Another thing that drew me to Chris' knife is the way the cutting edge is in line with the bottom of the handle where your fingers grip. Again a Scandi trait and something that gives you greater control over the knife with wood working for example. It is an interesting balance on a fixed blade with geometry compromises between grind thickness, cutting edge position and depth from spine to edge. I think Chris has got this spot on.

The handle is impeccably finished and contoured. Comfortable in all grips, the flatter sides offer confidence when working the knife hard.

Turns out on my way home there was a small tree down over the trail. I clear quite a few trails at work and normally carry a range of cutting tools up to winches and chainsaw. As it was the weekend I just had Chris' knife

It did admirably well, cutting enough to enable me to break the tree out of the way.

The covers of the knife are stabilized Eucalyptus over orange G10. I'm not sure if Chris heat treated the 1085 but I'm really impressed. I've worked the knife hard with wood and it's come back with just a strop.

A quick note on the sheath which was made for Chris by JDO Custom sheaths. Again, impressive work. Nice, tough leather. Tidy work and a snug knife.

In summary I'd say this is the closest I've found to an all round, utility knife. Happy with Bushcraft tasks but wouldn't think twice about dressing game before chopping some carrots to go with it:)

Sam

Last edited:
dude. that things is awesome. congrats. thanks for the pics.

nice score - Chris does good work, glad to see that one go to someone who will appreciate it with plenty of use!

Another Bowden spin on a classic that is sure to become a classic in it's own right!!!

Congrat's on the knife avoidspam and great job once again Chris!!!

thanks for the review and the pics!!!

Thanks Sam, Im glad you like it. Its my favorite pattern! Thanks for sharing.

Back