Khukri Tactics

O.K.,I couldn't stand it.I just ordered my first "real" khukri from GH.Now, how does one carry a Service model on his person for defensive purposes, and how does one draw it without losing any body parts which may be dear to him?Any advice for a tenderfoot?

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

The best people to ask that question are Bando practitioners. They, I believe, have the best (or, most easily accessible) information on fighting with a khukuri. I met with an ABA guy yesterday for lunch. If you're interested, I can email him your address and he can contact you. He said he had lots of good books on the subject. I hope this helps.

Craig.

Craig, I would love to find a simple book on the topic of carrying, etc., especially if it could be purchased on the internet.While I am no knife fighter (I'll take a gun to a knife fight!), I would be interested in learning a few basic khukri facts.I would welcome an Email.Thanks!

------------------

When my new friend returns from his Bando retreat this weekend (and returns or brings money for the 10 or so World Wars he took with him), I'll give him your email. I'm sure he has a book that'll be perfect for you. Heck, I might even start offering them on the website (I have had many requests, but until recently, had no idea where to find such a book).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig, I just looked up Bando, and think that's not what I'm looking for. I just wanted suggestions on how to carry a khukri unobtrusively,if possible, and how to safely draw it.A shoulder rig has been suggested,and I would welcome any alternatives, as wearing a jacket in our heat is not possible.Maybe this type of carry (semiconcealed) is not possible with a khukri.Any opinions will be appreciated.

------------------

I only carry my khukuri on my backpack - it wedges quite nicely into a strap on ALICE packs. I am, hopefully, getting a kydex sheath prototype (keep being patient, springercop, it'll come someday
smile.gif
), which will be designed to accomodate several models of khukuri and severl carrying scenarios. I'll check on the status of the project on Monday - otherwise, keep on the lookout for a post about it.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Thanks, Craig.I'll be on the lookout.

------------------

AlaChoctaw,

Unless you're one big dude, I think you'll find that carrying a full sized Khukuri for defense is going to be a difficult proposition unless you plan on having it in open view. 15-18 inches of blade and handle is a lot to work with.

However, that Mini you just ordered will conceal very well with the right sheath/harness combination. It would tuck neatly under the arm in the inverted (handle down) position or a number of other positions according to your preference. I'll be making another sheath for mine that will attach to my present harness.

In my past life I carried either an 8" Bowie, a USMC Ka-Bar, a Puma White Hunter or a hachet when the situation required. They all carried comfortably and invisibly under my left arm using the same harness with modified sheaths.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

AlaChoctaw,

Forgot to mention, E-mail me if you want some info on the rig I use. Simple really, just a few basic componants.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

There might be a field manual on the use of the khukhuri, after all it is standard British issue. If anyone finds one I would be interested in a copy. Bill (H.I.) looked for one a while back but could not locate one.

Will

I'll be going to a Bando khukuri camp taught by Dr. Gyi in October. Hopefully, I'll pick up some fighting techniques, and maybe spot some sort of fighting manual that I can bring back. If there's one that's any good, I'll let y'all know.

Back