Khukuri Collectibles

There are numerous types and models of khukuris but what are the real khukuri collectibles?

The museums around the world have their khukuris from the bygone eras. Does this mean that what is ancient is collectible? Or should a collector look at other factors like engravings, quality of workmanship and materials used?

Who knows betters?

One answer to your question is: Collect what you think is worth collecting. I collect modern military kukris and WWII models. I tend to stay away from Civilian versions and the "special" modern kukri variants made in the USA. But that is just the way I am...every one is different....Cheers! Pipey

Golok and Pipeycain, me ol' matey Lt. Dan has shown us just how it is with collections. He, for instance, has decided he wants to concentrate on wooden-handled khuks. To the detriment of horn-handled ones. And that's fine. Exactly how you go about putting your collection together is a personal thing. All right, you can obtain advice, and even follow it. But in the end your choice of items satisfy you and you alone. And not only the oldies and ancient khuks are collectible. The new ones made in Nepal to the original pattern and made by traditional means, are fine. And maybe it's a fine idea also to separate civilian khuks and military ones.

I still need someone to explain to me how you can make tourist khuks into a collection....!? Good gracious, CAN you??? :eek:

Back