khukuri magic

Last weekend I gave my mother-in-law a khukuri for her birthday. She is not into knives at all but is, for want of a better word, a very spiritual person. She has travelled to ancient and holy places in other parts of the world; she has stood between the paws of the Sphinx and been inside the Great Pyramid of Cheops. When I handed it to her she said "What is this? It feels like a holy thing." I asked if she had any other impressions and she said she could feel "blood and sacrifice" on it. Then I told her what it was and how to pronounce it, and explained Himalayan Imports and Birgorkha to her. She had never heard of khukuris and didn't know where they came from! Pretty interesting, to me at least. I thought some others here might appreciate the story. Sorry if I have offended or alarmed anyone.

Pat Mc

I certainly do not know the woman he speaks of but I believe what he says. One of my dogs is a hybrid and part wolf. She never howls at night unless coyotes or people are about. Going out at night with the BAS in hand brings a very worm feeling to the body and spirit.

I hope I'm not just plain crazy.:D

Great story, Pat. Reminds me of the "firewire connection" (I think it was Rusty who coined that term) that you can feel to the blade's origin and the kamis who made it. I get that feeling every time I handle a new HI khuk for the first time.

If that makes me crazy, I'm willing to accept the label. :)

Back