Khukuri or ?

In trying to sort out the utility of a khukuri like a 15in village or service model I'll guess that they probably do better at chopping than a small hatchet, the common 1 1/4 lb short handled models for instance, maybe not as well as a long handled 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 lb hatchet, but not as well as a 2 1/4 lb ax in chopping or splitting. Do they slice well enough to replace the utility of a short machete on brush ? Or a large 'camp' knife or machete on something like a watermelon ? Or the back of a hatchet for driving stakes ?

Do you people that use them find that they replace other common tools or does it end up being just another tool to have around ?

Like any tool khukuris are a compromise. I find that my GH Bhojpure chops woods better than a good mid size hatchet,slices and cuts better of course,and it`ll hammer tent stakes in with it`s spine or the flats of the blade but it`s not ideal for such things. I`m sure it`ll slice watermelon but it`s grind is wedgie for it. It`s kinda heavy for clearing light brush but it cut`s through it with alomb. Basically treat em like you would any big thick camp knife in these regards. FWIW you can also go lighter and longer (suripati) or thicker and heavier (20"-22" Ang kola) to cover bases from machette almost to full sized axe. They`re very good tools you just have to decide if they fit your intended niche. Marcus

There are also regional variations. Chainpuri cho'd blades conform to the Sirupati shape but are slightly thinner in spine and much more heavily fullered, thus looking similar but in fact much lighter. A 20" Sirupati could be about 2 pounds weight ( plus or minus 2 or 3 ounces ), a 20 Chainpuri from one and an eigth pounds to one and five eigths pounds. A 20" Ang Khola weighs maybe three and one half pounds and up. And I'm noticing no matter what style or weight blade the 18" seems to be very well liked.

Johno :

Do they slice well enough to replace the utility of a short machete on brush ?

They are more powerful choppers so on heavier branches I would prefer a khukuri. On lighter vegetation this is no advantage and the heavier khukuri just causes fatigue faster.

Or a large 'camp' knife or machete on something like a watermelon ?

They are usually a minimum of 3/8" thick with a saber convex grind. Slicing through the watermelon would probably be hard, chopping it in half would not be overly difficult.

Or the back of a hatchet for driving stakes ?

The back of the khukuris is a bit rounded. You could file it flat I supposed. It tends to go that way with a lot of pounding anyway though.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 13 August 1999).]

If you do a lot of pounding with the back of the blade, you may experience slight irregularities which will develop as a result of the zone-hardening (the back of the blade is purposely a bit softer than the edge).

I'd agree with Rusty on the 18 inch being very popular. I just got back from a trip where I used a WW that measured long (at just about 18 inches) that did some good brush clearing for me. I did wonder how a sirupati would have handled the job, and might like to take one to the field on my next trip. For a comparison of lengths, widths, and sizes, look at the thread called GH All-star lineup - it gives a good comparison.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Thanks for the replies. As has been mentioned the 18 inch models do seem popular, and I'm getting the impression that although the heavier models are initially impressive regarding chopping power there seems to be more and more interest in some of the lighter ones. I'll guess that swinging 1 1/2 lbs and up for long periods is tiring for most people, and that 1 lb to 1 1/4 lb with a 5 inch handle and 10 to 12 inch blade might be a good compromise between reach and light weight for clearing brush, and yet enough heft for light to medium chopping.

Since the blades seem to have had a lot of development in terms of edge holding, chopping, sharpness, materials, hardening, etc., would it make sense to try to use a shorter, more robust blade with a longer handle in order to obtain more reach while also minimizing weight ? Although it might push the design too much a long handle would also allow the ability to use it with two hands like a standrd 3/4 or Hudson Bay ax, and yet retain the reach of a machete for clearing brush. Having a changable handle would be even better, as the short handle would ofer more control for trying to slice watermelons :^)

A longer handle might also allow a thinner blade to be used while retaining reach, I guess it'd have to be thicker and thus not saving much weight, but it might slice better. I guess there are good reasons why longer handles aren't used though.

More and more, I am taking a World War to the field, and am enjoying the versatility it provides. No, it's not as heavy as a Bhojpure or Panawal (so not as brutal a chopper), but more agile. In fact, took one to Assategue Island camping this weekend and it worked out very nicely. Of course, I "blessed" it with my finger.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

John :

would it make sense to try to use a shorter, more robust blade with a longer handle in order to obtain more reach while also minimizing weight

Handle / blade ratios are set so as to provide the correct balance which is necessary to enhance the blade curvatures cutting power. If you took a standard khukuri and just gave it a longer handle its performance would suffer significantly.

-Cliff

Johno,

If you go over to the Knife Reviews Forum you'll see that Jeff Randall is planning a trip into the Peruvian jungle and is asking forumites which knives they would like to see tested.
www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000755.html

Some of us have already requested that he take a Khukuri or 2 along. I'd be interested to see how a Sirupati would stack up against a machete for all around utility in the jungle. Maybe if enough of us request it, Jeff will take one along.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

I've especially appreciated the testing done by Randall and company along with Cliff, and will also be interested to see how a khukuri would fare. I was looking for a Boy Scout handbook for my kids this weekend, I didn't find any, but I did find a survival book written by a gentleman who was in the SAS for almost three decades. He mentions that a knife is the most important survival tool, and that for wilderness trips a Malayan parang (?) is works well for slicing and chopping, with about a 12in blade that doesn't weigh more than about 1 1/2 lbs.

I wrote Jeff Randall and offered a sirupati for use and testing in Peru. I took Blackdog's advice for this one, as I think the Sirupati could easily become the favorite for machette work. When it comes back, maybe I'll auction it off on the GH website.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I have handled 6 different types of khukuris so far. And I have to say the 18" type really does something for me. When I swing a 15" khukuri, I can feel I'm not putting as much power as I could with one arm. The longer 18" khukuris really feel perfect.

It really says something about the WW2 that Craig picked it over all his other khukuris for camping. Bill Martino also said the 18" WW2 was his favorite. So there you go, the WW2 is personal favorite for two of two American khukuri dealers.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 19 August 1999).]

TWG,have you had any experience with Krss cutlery products? The prices seem too good to be true! They claim all their products are 5160 with sharp edges. If they`re anywhere near decent using knives I can see I`m gonna own a few in a hurry.
wink.gif
Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 19 August 1999).]

Tallwinged: wow. That's a knife. And yes, I am hard fast becoming a believer in the World War version. They actually measure in at about 17 inches, but I'm a short, stocky guy, so that's perfect for me. That being said, I really can't wait to get the sirupatis in tomorrow.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

The Malayan parang previously mentioned looks kind of like a Scagel bowie that I've seen, with a handle kind of up high on the spine and a blade that is well rounded. Kind of like a slim cleaver with rounded ends.

Marcus,

I've never had first-hand experience with Kris Cutlery. But their Japanese katanas come highly recommended from martial artists. The sword at least, have a reputation for being very strong and sharp -- if not very traditional looking. The katana is the only blade they have with differential temper.

I imagine their knives to be of good quality. I'm especially attracted to those $35 deals. Damn!

The barong and sundang are $120. The Matulis with a 15" blade at $35.oo and the matulis with a 20" blade at $39.oo are interesting to me.

I've got an atlanta cutlery khyber knife (no longer listed in their catalog ) with a reasonably similar 15" blade shape, and though the handle looks atrocious, it's a nice blade. May have to rehandle with stag. Too big to slip into the suitcase, though.

The sirupati works well for clearing light brush.If you have an old back, a machete will please you more at days end.

------------------

I agree with Ghost six on that one - however, my back is still young, so I do enjoy swinging the sirupati. Of course, the only sirupatis I have right now are 15 inchers, so I don't think those would do.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back