Khukuri vs jambiya

One of the rarest forms of the Arab Jambiya is the Gusbi from Hadramaut, an arid coastal area in the south of Yemen along the Arabian sea. Although the blade and handle are similar to those on common Arab Jambiya, the Gusbi is characterized by the considerably up-curving scabbard tip, with the chape (scabbard tip) higher than the pommel. Here is such a Gusbi. 8 inches curved blade of good quality steel. I shaped grip of Rhino horn set with silver rosettes. The wood scabbard is covered with leather and mounted with silver locket and chape set with Carnelian, Coral and Agate. Late 19th Century.

:eek:

That is really something! Sure didn't see anything like that shape on the news story about Yemen. Some tribal leaders did have some with similarily impressive scabbard decorations though.

Wonderful.

The bin Laden clan hails from a remote valley in Yemen, called Wadi Doan. Nestled between the Arabian Sea and Yemeni mountains, it is the legendary land of the Queen of Sheba, fabled for the gold and frankincense and myrrh that the Wise Men carried to the manger where Jesus was born. Osama bin Laden's native village, Al-Rubat, "the tent," is in Hadhramaut, a province in eastern Yemen. Muhammad bin Laden, Osama's father, migrated from Al-Rubat to Saudi Arabia in the 1950s. He soon formed close ties with the ruling Saud dynasty and accumulated a billion-dollar fortune building roads and palaces and trading real estate. Though Osama bin Laden never lived in Wadi Doan, he absorbed his fundamentalist views on Islam from the strict Wahhabi form of Muslim beliefs prevalent in this region. Wadi Doan is part of Yemen's remote hinterland that has been a stronghold of Muslim militants for some time. On occasion bin Laden still wears traditional Hadhrami dress, with a curved dagger at his belt. He married a girl from a prominent Hadhramaut family.
Bin Laden often uses his setting and dress to signal his intentions. Prior to the attack on the U.S.S. Cole, bin Laden appeared in a video wearing a traditional Yemeni dagger in his belt as he declared that he would strike out at the United States. This setting hinted at his intent, which only became clear after the attack. Al Qaeda boasts in a recruitment videotape that its followers bombed the USS Cole in Yemen's Aden harbor. The video, circulating among Muslim militants, represents the clearest link yet between bin Laden and the Oct. 12 attack that killed 17 American sailors and wounded 39. At the start of the 100-minute tape, bin Laden, wearing a traditional Yemeni dagger on a belt around his waist, recites a poem that includes these lines:
"And in Aden, they charged and destroyed a destroyer that fearsome people fear, one that evokes horror when it docks and when it sails." Although the poem does not name the Cole, it is followed by the image of a fiery explosion. Superimposed on the picture in red script are the words, in Arabic, "the destruction of the American Destroyer Cole." Footage of the bombed vessel follows.

1. Bill,

Very nice piece! The rhino horn, as you probably know, was thought to confer healing/sexual powers on the owner, which has sadly fueled the poaching of rhinos worldwide.

I have an Omani janbiyya of the royal al-Bu Saidi style, also with an old rhino hilt:
albuhilt.jpg

albuunsheathed.jpg

Nice metalwork on the mounts, but the blade's nothing special. Sounds like your blade steel is better than mine.

2. Firkin,

Apparently in Arabic janbiyya 'side[arm]' and khanjar 'knife' are interchangeable. Stone's Glossary, sv. "Jambiya," says the Persians and Indians just call them "khanjars."

However, in practice, I've observed that collectors call the single-curved, double-edged ones "jambiyas," and the double-curved, double-edged ones (like the one below) "khanjars."

biharkhanjar1.jpg

3. Johan,

Forgive my rudeness for forgetting to ask: May we see pix of your new jambiya as well? :D :cool: ;)

Thanks for the compliments. This is my first Jambiya. I also have a neat Sumatra execution keris. Used to off convicted criminals.

My primary area of collection is Qing Dynasty Chinese swords, armor and maces. I'll be posting some pictures soon.

You mean one of those long ones -- the keris panjang? I've got one too; fun pieces. :D (No pix though...:( )

Wow, Chinese swords -- that's an expensive game! I have what I think are late Qing/Warlord period double short jian, but they're poor quality. The good stuff is outta my league...:(

Looking forward to your pix. :cool:

Thank you Ruel. You have some wonderful knives.

I will be getting together some pictures of a Chinese Jian -- a scholar's or gentleman's weapon. Jian = a double edged sword.

Here is a teaser

Very nice; looks like a damascus blade. My jian is Tang style; it's a custom replica, though, not an antique:

1_big.JPG

2_big.JPG

5_big.JPG

I don't actually have it yet; I'm still paying it off. One of the many reasons I'm broke...!:( :eek: :eek:

Ruel:

Just looked at this thread. Your jambiya hilt looks to me like it's covered with the type of decoration called "khatam khoury" by the Iranians. (I'm probably butchering the term in transliteration.)

I don't know how it was done at the time your blade was hilted. According to my Iranian source, these days, the inlay is actually done on strips of base material (often plastic) and then the base material is glued to the surface to be decorated. Looking at your picture, I'd guess yours may have been done on a metal sheet, as you mentioned.

S.

PS. How was the wedding reception?

Bill,

The Tang replica is from Cicada Forge. The double short jian I got from a dealer in Hong Kong some years ago. (I'm actually thinking of selling these in order to pay off debt, so if you looking...:D :eek: :eek: )

Spence,

Thanks for the info. Not being "crafty" myself, I just figured it'd be easier to assemble alot of small pieces before, rather than after, putting them in their final setting. ;)

Aiyiyii!!!!!

What am I doing "co-moderating" a forum with lurkers and occassional posters out there that are way, way out of my league? I think I'm getting to know them and they turn out to be collectors, if not of the first water, at least of the second rinse cycle.

You think you're starting to learn something, relax for a bit, and awesomely knowlegeable folks crawl out of the woodwork.

We are all learning, and growing together.

I am amazed by the Khukuris. I had only seen these knives at stores like Pier One and those did not qualify for serious attention.

A world-class expert, John Powell, introduced me to khukris in March and told me about this forum.

Along with learning about the Khuks I am excited, happy and pleased to be a part of a diverse group of warm, caring and interesting people from all walks of life, coming together to share a common bond.

I belong to several forums, and this is the only one I have seen with the level of mutual support, rallying to help a comrade with financial problems -- and no flaming at all.

I think its kinda neat.

Yeh, Ruel. Open this link, an' you'll see a jambiya that's a spittin' image of the one I've got:

http://www.antiqueswords.com/ah4.htm

Know why you asked the question. (Imagine smirking smiley.) You wanted me to go the whole hog of mailing photos again! No ways this time, bud!

On second thoughts, mine (although also Kurdish) may just be a little bit more battered around the edges...

Nice, Johan. :cool: I can't remember if it was you I mentioned it to, but when I was in Durban back in December I saw an Arabian jambiya for sale at the "Tourist Junction" mall. I couldn't afford it, so I let it pass. But if you're looking to expand your j- collection, you might want to make a trip to the coast...:D

Rusty,

"if not of the first water, at least of the second rinse cycle."

I tend to get drenched and hung out on a line, myself... :eek: ;)

Back