Khyber

I think we should go with about a 15" blade. Maybe less. Maybe say 13". Bill how would that effect weight? No doubt a wood or horn handle. We are open to either or here. I would guess it depends on what is available. What about a thickness of say 5/16? I am plaaning on buying one and so is my friend so I can find a home here for two. what should the sheath be made out of?

Regards,

Tom Carey

Tom , I don't think the Kami's will want to go that thin, but 3/8's is right there also. My BAS is 15 inches overall length, has 3/8 inch blade and is extremely fast handling. I just looked up in Atlanta cutlery for the cheap ones they sell and there is one at 15 inches total length and one at 22 inches total length. No thickness is given but probably less than 3/16.

No that is not what I am talking about. It is not a true Kyhber. For one the blade is the wrong shape for the most part and two the handle is also the wrong shape. Hollywood at work on the one heh.

Regards,

Tom Carey

As Mick might say, "That's not a knife."

Cobalt is right. 3/8 is the minimum we would go with on this effort. Length, handle material, etc. is still open.

Bill

I was affraid that would be to thin. I think 3/8 is the way to go. I think the thing to know is figure out how with the constraints of the shape and such of a Kyhber to make it light and fast with good balance. For instance would horn or wood be lighter?

Regards,

Tom Carey

Before you all go and order the khyber, can someone dig up a picture of a sword used by the Janissaries?

Jannissaries were the elite Christian slave soldiers of the Ottoman Empire from 16th to 19th century. I saw a picture of this lengendary sword once in a National Geographics mag. Looks like a good cross between the khukuri and the khyber.

The Indian model should be at the Post Office in Reno this PM for Bill, as mail sent down here in Hawthorne is canceled in Reno. That is a thin blade as Bill will see, blade cross -section like a straight razor with the T spine to give strength.

------------------
Russ S

Keep posting and we'll keep working. Yangdu is on her errands for the day and should be back this Pm with the khyber if it arrived today. Mail is sometimes a bit slow here in the outback of America.

Bill

The only way to keep weight down will be to keep it short. I think it is safe to assume that this knife will be similar to a sirupati in weight at the same given lengths. My 20 inch Sirupati is quite controllable for it's intended use of power chops or slices. A knife that heavy as a thrusting weapon may be too heavy, maybe. I dont have a 15 inch sirupati on hand, but figure that it is not much different in heft to the BAS, so this range may be it.

Tom, I think that you, your friend, Rusty, and Suttcliff will need to decide on a length for keeping the weight down. Anything over 20 inches is going to feel like a broad sword and be slow and heavy in the thrusting mode.

If you guys go for a 15 incher or less, I may go for one, especially if it comes with the khukuri style horn handle. Over 15 inches in my opinion and you get to heavy for a stabbing type weapon which needs to be lighter. Although a big 20+ incher sounds scary looking.

Bill, if this continues, you may need to take a head count after the final decision since, these will not be khukuri's and may not sell if not previously agreed to be purchased. IMHO

I've got a counter-proposal...what about THIS critter:

<a href="http://swordforum.com/swords/historical/falcata.html">Link to an ancestor of the Khukuri complete with pics</a>

Jim March

An interesting request, Jim. The kamis certainly have experience with this blade shape. They may be able to draw on their experience and traditions to create a truly functional and unique interpretation of a falcatta.

Bill, what kind of experience do the kamis have? Do they traditionally forge other items or knives besides khukuris? It seems to make sense to utilize their specialized knowledge and traditions. In what areas would you say their experience and traditional lore is deepest?

[This message has been edited by Howard Wallace (edited 11 March 1999).]

Jim,

That is a very interesting idea. In fact I have seen that picture before on another site and considered it. I really like the pointy and vicious shape of the Khyber. I like the one you are suggesting as well. Dare I ask how hard it would be to duplicate the brass handle? As far as the khyber goes. My friend and I would like a horn handle. I also think a 15" blade is the way to go. I am interested in what Bill has to say about the other knife.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Yes, that sword design was in another post in here somewere. I think that it is one heck of a design and more efficient thatn just a straight sword, but this one is big. It looks to be a good 26 inches long. It will be heavy, but should be efficient.

I think the Khyber at 15 inches like Tom mentioned is still a good Idea as a sleeker version of the Bowie with a much thicker blade.

Yes, DC posted that pix somewhere in the forum.

Howard, the kamis make various knives and swords besides the khukuri and also farm implements. But they do best with the khukuri. They can get us a decent Khyber but it will not be up to the khukuri standards.

I received the Khyber from Rusty yesterday PM and looked it over and from what I could tell without using it the knife is pretty good. It is straight and has a strong handle. I could not tell for sure but the blade may be chrome plated which I personally do not like. It is thinner bladed than the kamis will want to make. Blade is stamped "India" both sides. The blade does not show the tell tale signs of forging and I think the knife may be factory made. Finish is smooth.

The knife is 24 inches overall, with 18.5 blade and 5.5 handle and weighs 1 lb 14 oz.

I did not want to take Rusty's knife out and start chopping with it or see how much the blade would bend --if at all. The knife is not mine.

If the knife sells for less than a hundred bucks it might be smart to get one. For us it is a starting point.

Comments?

Bill

Bill, an overall length of 15 inches would probably keep the weight to the range of the one you received due to the thicker blade. What do you think.

Bill, sharpen the thing a bit and then take it out and use it. If it breaks, bends, or can't keep an edge, so be it. If it holds up within reason, let us know. Bought the thing a year ago and it isn't listed now but have emailed the place asking if it is still available even though not catalogued. Was $30 marked down from $38 at the time. Will advise of their response.

------------------
Russ S

Bill,

You may be rite. It may be too short. Maybe 18" would be more like it. I agree. I do not like chrome plateing either.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Back