Kids 1st knives

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good day ladies and gents. I'm finally starting to get back to work on some knife projects and designs and I really want to do something for the younger woodsmen and woodswomen (female woodsman?).

I've thought about this for a long time and usually the problem has come to the cost of the knife as many advise getting something that you don't mind losing for the kids, and that's hard to pull off for us. Still, I like to think if I can help get some kids out of the house more and into the woods/fields/hills that I would like to be that enabler.

So, I have a series of questions I would appreciate some help with.
  1. When do you usually let the kids have their own knife?
  2. How big is the handle, or the whole knife, that you consider? Or, what knives do you look at (I feel mora or SAK is the most common I hear about) when searching for an option?
  3. What activities do you allow the kids to partake in?
  4. Any special features that interest you like certain guards, grinds, color (bright colors), blunt tips, or anything else that makes it easier and more enjoyable for the kiddos?
I'm strictly looking at fixed blades at this point but might consider a simple folder later on. I don't think folders are as safe but they're probably more socially acceptable later on if/when they decide to EDC a knife. Might be the groundwork for a later discussion.

What I've seen in my circle of friends and acquaintances over the years is a 2.5-3.25" blade with about a 3.5-4" handle.
(ESEE Izula, Mora 511, or Mora #1 classic w/guard size range)
For kids under 5, tips were rounded and left blunt, and the knife was only allowed to be used in the presence of an adult or significantly older sibling.
In one case, a 3-year old was given a brightly colored Izula with the tip and edge rounded - but her mom was nuts.

My twins had fixed blade knives at about 8 or 9. The carried them under supervision while hiking and camping. Both are Blind Horse Bushcrafters.
They both received a free knife from the good folks at KSF (Buck Bantam I think) they laser engraved their names in the blade too! They used those a couple years earlier but again not unattended by parents.

Neon paracord wrap and constant reminders that when its not in your hand it should be in the sheath on your belt doesnt hurt either with not losing them!!
*adding to my post , I really wanted to let my kid get familiar with edged tools around the house especially her own knife before we went out in the bush. Home is a much more controlled environment and gets any possible early feelings for the blade aside from strictly a tool with purpose when its needed, love seeing her use it for crafts etc as a go to. A good sheat thats easy for them to draw but with good retention(kids end up upside down more than most of us) is also key to a good experience for them ive found. Letting the kid get involved. Mine loves yellow so i did her izula in a neon yellow paracord wrap. I think size of blade is relevant to the size of the kid and be used practicaly

Last edited:
So I'm not there yet (my son turns 4 next month and he thinks my blades are super cool, but I have found that he doesn't listen well enough yet to be handling a knife... Guaranteed that anything I tell him to do, like "don't touch your face until you wash your hands," or "don't drop that!" he will do exactly that in the next moment šŸ¤£) but I will try my best to answer these questions.
  1. When do you usually let the kids have their own knife? I am thinking he might be ready when he turns 6, but that's pending approval from my wife/his mom, so we will have to see...
  2. How big is the handle, or the whole knife, that you consider? Or, what knives do you look at (I feel mora or SAK is the most common I hear about) when searching for an option? I'm definitely thinking he has to start with something classic, like a Victorinox (which is what I started with) but I think I would let him try using something like a Mora or even a small Becker at a campsite. Nothing too modern or tacti-cool looking.
  3. What activities do you allow the kids to partake in? Again, not sure at what age we will start, hopefully by 6, and when we get to that point, I am planning to start really working on my bushcraft/survival skills, like making deadfall traps, etc., so I am intending to have him help me with some of the less complicated aspects of those things... feathersticking, notch carving, etc.
  4. Any special features that interest you like certain guards, grinds, color (bright colors), blunt tips, or anything else that makes it easier and more enjoyable for the kiddos? What an interesting question. I like the idea of blunted tips. I was thinking that a sheepsfoot slipjoint would be a great first pattern for a kid... maybe one with a specialized "safety" tip that has a more pronounced rounded and blunted tip would be ideal.

Might sound harsh or wrong.. but nothing teaches/gives respect for a blade like a close call or a booboo. Better let them get aquainted in a controlled safe environment like home. I gave my daughter a leatherman micra to start with and mostly the scissors got used and second the blade for crafts and art projects. She was maybe 7. Every kid is different, its all about judging their comfort and going off that i think .

Back