Killa Zilla II vs Battle Mistress?

Seems like the replies are split about chopping...but what about overall practicality?

Thanks!

The Mistress is way more practical than a Zilla. A Zilla is strictly limited to chopping.

Mistress is a lot more practical in my opinion. The straight cutting edge offer's more option's for use.

The problem with the mistress, is the handle gets in the way when you cut on a flat surface. So it’s hard to use a cutting board or process food with it.
You still end up having to draw cut like Zilla, and the choil snags on fabrics.
The recurve actually helps when cutting a fabric like a tshirt in half.
And the straight blade, that long, is harder on your wrist when you’re trying to do more aggressive work.
And when you bring the mistress back and getting ready for a chop the point is pointing more at you, which is more dangerous. It could catch a leg or shoulder if not careful. The Zilla is safer, and has more power in its chop.

Last edited:
The problem with the mistress, is the handle gets in the way when you cut on a flat surface. So it’s hard to use a cutting board or process food with it.
And the straight blade, that long, is harder on your wrist when you’re trying to do more aggressive work.
And when you bring the mistress back and getting ready for a chop the point is pointing more at you, which is more dangerous. It could catch a leg or shoulder if not careful. The Zilla is safer, and has more power in its chop.

That's an interesting assessment. I've never held any of the Busse kuk's or Mistresses so I have no frame of reference. But I can understand the points you're making. I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about the whole...cutting a t-shirt in half part. Unless I'm strapping a victim down, I'm not sure why I'd be using a kukri to remove their t-shirt.

That's an interesting assessment. I've never held any of the Busse kuk's or Mistresses so I have no frame of reference. But I can understand the points you're making. I have to admit, I'm a bit confused about the whole...cutting a t-shirt in half part. Unless I'm strapping a victim down, I'm not sure why I'd be using a kukri to remove their t-shirt.

I've cut up shirts for fabric. Cloth strips for various uses, including makeshift bandages. I've also done it fo make cut offs for my kids out camping when weather turned hot, and they wanted a pair of pants made into shorts.

The WTF blade is tall enough, the end of the handle clears the cutting board.

I've cut up shirts for fabric. Cloth strips for various uses, including makeshift bandages. I've also done it fo make cut offs for my kids out camping when weather turned hot, and they wanted a pair of pants made into shorts.

Wouldn't a $4 set of trauma shears come in far more handy for those tasks? In 20 years of EMS, I can't say I ever thought to myself, "gee, I wish I had a kukri to cut up some cravats or get someone's clothes off quickly." But, too each his own.

As for the WTF, while I guess it could grow on my in the future, right now it looks way to big, bulky and heavy.

Thanks though!

Last edited:
The mistress will sell for more money when you want to get rid of it, so that’s a plus.:p
Don’t get me wrong, I love em both but the KZII has a special place in my line up, as I have used both extensively, and had more close calls with my mistresses than the zilla.
Just my real world experience.

The mistress will sell for more money when you want to get rid of it, so that’s a plus.:p
Don’t get me wrong, I love em both but the KZII has a special place in my line up, as I have used both extensively, and had more close calls with my mistresses than the zilla.
Just my real world experience.

See I usually counsel men that choose a mistress, just not the ones made by Busse.

I also had a moabolo which was manly but I just couldn’t justify keeping it. I’d rather have a straight blade.

I’d honestly grab my pocket knife way before I use a 10” knife to cut some cloth

That wasn’t an option lol
Mistress vs KZII

Flame me for cutting a rag with a 12” zilla, its ok i can take it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a $4 set of trauma shears come in far more handy for those tasks? In 20 years of EMS, I can't say I ever thought to myself, "gee, I wish I had a kukri to cut up some cravats or get someone's clothes off quickly." But, too each his own.

As for the WTF, while I guess it could grow on my in the future, right now it looks way to big, bulky and heavy.

Thanks though!

As a non EMT knife nut, I've looked at an item countless times and thought, sure, I could go get my fabric scissors.....but I got this sweet khukri (or battle mistress, or 16 inch butcher knife, or machete, or tomahawk, or tanto, or kwaiken, or battle axe), and thought I should cut the crap out of that item!!!!!!!

I've only had to remove clothing for an emergency fast once, qand I did not bother cutting all 4 layers off, just peeled them up, to see if the bullet penetrated his lung or heart....

I've had to look at injuries on people (my kids, or my self, or scouts) but never in a way I had to cut their clothing. I've made strips out of a shirt that no one was wearing before. (Used a very sharp Opinel)

I'm a knife nut, not a scissors nut!!!

As a non EMT knife nut, I've looked at an item countless times and thought, sure, I could go get my fabric scissors.....but I got this sweet khukri (or battle mistress, or 16 inch butcher knife, or machete, or tomahawk, or tanto, or kwaiken, or battle axe), and thought I should cut the crap out of that item!!!!!!!

I've only had to remove clothing for an emergency fast once, qand I did not bother cutting all 4 layers off, just peeled them up, to see if the bullet penetrated his lung or heart....

I've had to look at injuries on people (my kids, or my self, or scouts) but never in a way I had to cut their clothing. I've made strips out of a shirt that no one was wearing before. (Used a very sharp Opinel)

I'm a knife nut, not a scissors nut!!!

Peeling to remove is fine if possible but to do any real work quickly you need to remove/cut. And I'm a gun/knife nut...doesn't mean I don't want the most appropriate tool for a given task even if it doesn't mean using a gun or knife.

FWIW,BMs have a more controllable and versatile balance that could be safer easier for camp chores while KZ dedicate to chopping. I cut food on a wood block outdoor so the Fusion handle didn't bother a lot.And My aged bronze CGFBM work well in the kitchen cutting meat ,where I may use a kitchen knife more often.
I also love to use a silent knight for cooking.the only problem is I need a hip flask when sharpen it.

Last edited:

Not a zilla but you’ll get the idea.
kukris can do more than chop.
Im not making this up :)

FWIW,BMs have a more controllable and versatile balance that could be safer easier for camp chores while KZ dedicate to chopping. I cut food on a wood block outdoor so the Fusion handle didn't bother a lot.And My aged bronze CGFBM work well in the kitchen cutting meat ,where I may use a kitchen knife more often.
I also love to use a silent knight for cooking.the only problem is I need a hip flask when sharpen it.

Last edited:
Back