Kitchen Design ive been working on

Hey guys,
I've been thinking about making kitchen knives for a little while but i didnt want to just remake the same chefs knife ive seen over and over. So I started looking around at other cultures and what they use in the kitchen. I recently saw a video and the cook was using a sort of chefs knife cleaver combo and i loved the idea, not only was he slicing and chopping with it but that he turned it sideways and slapped a clove of garlic with the flat of the blade and popped off the skin.
Anyways heres what ive come up with im open to any constructive criticism.
the blade is about 9.3 inches long from tip to handle and a hair over 2 inches wide at the widest. The stock id be using would probably be 1/8th thick nitro v i know its a little thick but i figure a full flat grind on a 2 inch wide blade would compensate for the extra thickness.

n7zt9Ui.png

don't compensate for thickness by adding more work. think weight also. 3/32" 52100 or O1 will be fine, temper for Rc63-65, no sub zero, no cryo, 1 hour at 325 then 1 hour at 300. I guess blade shape may work but it will be a PITA to keep the rounded end sharp. go with a straight or slightly tapered handle, handle shown forces my hand into too small an area. shoot for total weight of 4 ounces.

the handle should work better. you can try different woods to shift balance point. maple and walnut light weight; dogwood, honey locust, bubinga very heavy. i suggested 52100 or O1 because they have a very simple DIY heat treat, with an electric kiln, start to finish in 4 hours or less. once you adjust and prove design, then go to fancy steels that either take all day or have to shipped to HT

ive got a heat treater pretty close to me and im really liking the corrosion resistance og Nitro-V

4 ounces for a 9 inch long by 2 inch tall blade with full tang handle from 3/32" stock seems unrealistic.

It looks like a machete. You may find that the blade profile is not ideal of food prep.

I like larger knives for food prep and it will absolutely weigh more than 4 ounces but im thinking of using even thinner stock maybe 1/16. When i do start this project ill make a test one and see how i like it and how some people i know that work with food like it and ill move on from there.

I named 4 ounces as a target not an absolute. at 3/32 you have a 'heavy use' and chopping prep knife. 1/16" will give you at better slicer. as I said, you can use different woods to change your total weight and balance point.

Back