Kitchen knife cut me, advise please

Got cut by a carbon steel kitchen knife which dropped and tapped on my finger. I am surprised that a 4 inch fall would result in a cut as long as where the edge touches my finger. The knife is a little patinated.

So guys, is there a need to see a doc for a tetanus jab or none at all. I am asking because this is a carbon steel knife. thanks all

First off I'd like to comment that the knife didn't cut you. You cut you.

I would be a good idea to get the tetanus shot if not just because. Otherwise I don't really see a problem.

Got cut by a carbon steel kitchen knife which dropped and tapped on my finger. I am surprised that a 4 inch fall would result in a cut as long as where the edge touches my finger. The knife is a little patinated.

So guys, is there a need to see a doc for a tetanus jab or none at all. I am asking because this is a carbon steel knife. thanks all

Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, or have had at least 3 booster shots in your lifetime? If so, you're fine. Also, tetanus has nothing to do with rust itself, it's caused by anaerobic bacteria. Rust is just a good place for them to hide away. Seeing that it's a kitchen knife that you presumably detergent, rinse, and keep clean (don't you? :eek:), there is nothing much to worry about.

But it probably never hurts to get a booster shot if you wanted to.

I wouldn't worry about it if its a small cut and you didn't need any stitches. Pour some Scotch on the wound, and into the glass. The Scotch on the wound should kill off bacteria and clean the wound from the alcohol. The Scotch in the glass is for you to enjoy and take your mind off of the pain so the healin can begin.

Great advise here. I hope it heals quickly.

We all need to be reminded from time to time that these tools are capable of making us very uncomfortable for a while or worse when we get a little complacent.

I did plenty of "self mutililation" :eek: in my youth :D. A couple of dumb incidents where stitches were necessary and a side of a fingertip that is numb.

After that stunt with my fingertip and the appropriate amount of thought, I decided to take on the mindset of firearm handling that was ingrained by father and uncle at a very, very early age whenever I have an exposed blade around.

I was plinking with .22's just about every weekend at age 4 under very serious supervision. Every move made or more often moves about to be made with that rifle under any condition was scrutinized and corrected on the spot when needed. The result of that instruction was 46 years of shooting without one hint of mishandling. To this day, I still remember the talks stressing that there are no "accidents" possible with a firearm when it is handled correctly.

In adult hindsight I now understand why they took on such a serious tone when they were teaching me, but then I did not really understand why these kind and quiet men were so serious and strict at that time. To this day, if I accepted a firearm from my dad without checking the chamber my 80 year old dad might just bend me over his knee, give me an embarrassing whack across my rear end and say " I taught you better than that" :D.

Anyway back to knives; it may sound odd, but I have not nicked myself ever since I took on the same mindset when I had a knife around me. Three rules work for me.

1. Know where the edge of a blade (or blade) is at all times. If it is not in your hands it is someplace stable and you can reach it easily. Focus on where that edge is when you lay a knife down. That eliminates the chance of what I did two times unsuccessfully. (Reaching quickly for a knife while not looking and slicing a finger to the bone :eek: )

2. Cut only when you "have a target". Focus on and control that puppy at all times when it is in your hand.

3. Make sure any thing that you do not want cut, especially the personal fleshy stuff, is not in the path of the knife. That path needs to consider blade length, force, gravity, and some portion of the length of the appendage holding the knife. Watch out for fleshy things (especially kids, dogs, cats or goats) that may be below a knife. (force and gravity part) I am sure most of us would rather cut our selves on purpose than harm a precious fleshy thing. Trouble is we only get that choice in hindsight after the precious fleshy thing has been hurt.

The whole thing may sound nerdy or stupid, but it now comes naturally and it works for me. YMMV.

I'm not sure but digesting the tetanus bacteria would probably make you sick since it's a kitchen knife I'm would guess that you aren't going to get tetanus.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a flash disinfectant. Use a little of that after thoroughly washing with soap. Then put Neosporin or equivalent into a bandage and you're good to go. Keeping the nasties out of the wound will let it heal faster with less scarring that bandages alone.

Keeping your tetanus up to date isn't a bad idea, regardless, but I doubt there's any urgency here. I presume you cleaned the wound, from the bleeding if nothing else. Tetanus likes punctures more than cuts.

As far as stitches go, I believe that after 6 hours, the docs don't like to suture unless the wound is really severe.

Bufford had the right idea on the Scotch, except that I'd reserve the whole shot for the glass. Bottoms up!

Back