Kitchen knife for mom

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
So I started making some Christmas gifts. I wanted to make a kitchen knife for my mom and decided on a small chefs/paring knife. Will it work out ok.
4.5" handle
4" blade
007.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, I can already see the tomato & potato pieces flying in a pot and heaven help that roast that is about to be diced and sliced . . . . . :eek:
Nice design, now what about the handles ???
Be safe.

I was kinda worried about the belly. After looking at it Im thinking maybe taking out the belly and making the choil deeper so there will be more of a guard. My mom had tiny elf like hands

Alright, I changed it up. It was too thick in the handle for her little hands and I took out the belly and straightened the spine.
010.jpg

The change up was nice, it will be easierto grind that way too

I like the deeper notch & thinner handle profile, but preferred it with the wider belly.

Vik, I actually just put a little more roundness on the edge so you can roll it more and shortened the handle 1/2". I really like it now! Im thinking about doing some stabilized York gum burl for it. I wish I could do bolsters as this knife is begging for them

Im also going to do a full round handle if I can pull it off with some 1/2" scales

Ok, Im done! It looks different but I think for her hand size it will feel great. It puts your hand higher so you can roll the blade more.
013.jpg

The round handle sounds pretty good, The new shape is
more applicable for pairing usage, I've done some pairing and
the belly might have defeated the whole idea of a pairer.
IMHO

Made into an animation, makes it easier to see the progression:

007-19.gif

Im sure Ill change it again!
I can add it to the animation. Only takes a few minutes. I like the latest. Seems more like a knife for a woman. Slimmer, etc.

I just drew out another one at work! Its wicked! I gotta wait till sunday when I get my 1/8L stock but Ill post pics of the drawing tonight when I get home.

Back