Kitchen Knife(s) for Chef

Let me save you a few hundred dollars.

I cook, a lot. A whole lot.

If you are going to make the purchase, you don't need to spend a million dollars. Yes, the high end Chef's knives are trendy, forged, and, usually, nice to look at. But, I'm here to tell you, you do not need to spend more than about $30-50 for one of the best Chef's knives available. I've been using it for two years, and it cuts and handles better than much more expensive knives I've owned.

Victorinox Forschner makes a Chef's knife, with a food safe Fibrox handle, that can be washed in the dishwasher, with no ill effect, and it hones to a razor sharp edge and holds it. It does everything a $250 knife does. This knife consistently wins Cooks Illustrated's Chef's knife competition.

If you have to have it, they do make versions with wooden handles.

Follow this link.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/chefs-knife-p1755

That said, buying a Chef a Chef's knife is usually a bad idea. You have to be familiar with her knife preferences, length, weight, knife technique, etc. Just buying her a knife, and spending a ton of money on it, might not work out in the end.

Tell her your plan and get her input. You can get her a knife she'll be happy to use.

Last edited:
Let me save you a few hundred dollars.

I cook, a lot. A whole lot.

Yes, the high end Chef's knives are trendy, forged, and, usually, nice to look at. But, I'm here to tell you, you do not need to spend more than about $30-50 for one of the best Chef's knives available.

Victorinox Forschner makes a Chef's knife, with a food safe Fibrox handle, that can be washed in the dishwasher, with no ill effect and it hones to a razor sharp edge. And, it does everything a $250 knife does.

If you have to have it, they do make versions with wooden handles.

Follow this link.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/chefs-knife-p1755
That's the consensus with quite a number of Chefs. More than a few have stated that they tend to use/go back to the Forschner more often than their HIGH-END kitchen cutlery, even after having attained their status. Something about the now Victorinox/Forschner knives, just have to try them out.

That's the consensus with quite a number of Chefs. More than a few have stated that they tend to use/go back to the Forschner more often than their HIGH-END kitchen cutlery, even after having attained their status. Something about the now Victorinox/Forschner knives, just have to try them out.

Victorinox kitchen knives are good bang/buck and can tackle lots of tough edge killer tasks without going to chip heaven. That said, these knives are soft - 56-57hrc, so expect edge roll & poor retention. One should try/touch at least some high-end knives, you might get addicted and likekly gain new sharpen skills, beware of the knut world.

Victorinox kitchen knives are good bang/buck and can tackle lots of tough edge killer tasks without going to chip heaven. That said, these knives are soft - 56-57hrc, so expect edge roll & poor retention. One should try/touch at least some high-end knives, you might get addicted and likekly gain new sharpen skills, beware of the knut world.
Well I'd say!

Please be aware you may get technically excellent J-knives at a reasonable price as well, think between $75-150. Examples: Fujiwara, JCK Kagayaki, Hiromoto. The price difference with the Victorinox is due to the far better steels, and somewhat better F&F.
The Victorinox are nice knives but have to be steeled in permanence. They are simply worn out within one or two years in a pro kitchen.

There's a limit to how hard you want a commercially used, or even frequently used for home use, knife to be. When I pick up any of my kitchen knives, most often they'll get a quick honing before use. Not so much because they need it, but because a sharper knife is a safer knife. As far as edge roll and poor edge retention, I have not experienced that.

There's a limit to how hard you want a commercially used, or even frequently used for home use, knife to be. When I pick up any of my kitchen knives, most often they'll get a quick honing before use. Not so much because they need it, but because a sharper knife is a safer knife. As far as edge roll and poor edge retention, I have not experienced that.

I hasn't played around with newer Victorinox kitchen knives, only experienced with an old Forschner 14" Cimeter(could be a Butcher). Well, it gets dull in 5 minutes from cutting boneless pork shoulder(40* inclusive, 1K finished). I wonder if the newer crop has better HT, thus perform better? Hopefully I get to sharpen a newer one for some body, otherwise I might pickup a chef knife to test & give away.

What you describe is perfectly normal with soft steel. In my country almost all butchers use them, and steel before every task. By the way, a typical Victorinox chef's knife angle will mesure 35-40 degree, a Japanese some 25-30 degree inclusive.

Last edited:
I would avoid buying any higher end knives from any walk in stores. You will pay a big time premium there. Go into those stores just to look and see what you like, then order the knives online!

I bought my Shun Classic chef's knife and utility knife online, and got them for about 60% of what I wouldve paid at Williams-Sonoma. So why buy it there?

Secondly, you simply cant go wrong with the Shun knives. get the higher end model knives though. They make cheaper, moderate quality knives too, but they also make several high end series. The Classic is the entry level high end Shun series. Then there's the Premier, the Kaji, Fuji, Elite, etc. All these are better than pretty much ANY of the German knives..... Japanese knives seem to be better than German knives as a rule these days.

Certainly dont waste your money on the JA Henckels Twin Signature knives. Total junk....... I bought a 7 piece set 3 years ago for $110, and they were truly worse than previous $20 sets we've owned in the past! I know that $110 isnt much money for a 7 piece set, but it certainly should be better than a $20 set!

For a higher end 7 piece set like the Shun Classic expect to pay at least $450, but you need to really look around online and compare prices. You can go on Ebay and find sellers selling these knives on auction and some times they go for 50-70% of retail.

Last edited:
To OP, go hang out on KitchenKnifeForums - alot of very knowledgable ppl about kitchen knives & sharpening there. Keep in mind, that the forum owner seriously dislike CKTG.

For $350, you sure can get a nice starter assemble of jknives: 240mm gyuto white#2, 180mm petty/util blue or white, small cleaver/deba.

I have heard many, many great things about these knives. Excellent performers with a price tag not too high.

<deal spot removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard many, many great things about these knives. Excellent performers with a price tag not too high.

<deal spot link removed>

This <deal spot link removed> is also a good choice - can take a more acute edge.

Off topic: Don, how are your 1080 knives coming along?

Edited - 2 are in the mail - <deal spot link removed> - great introduction into the carbon world for ppl like non-pointed edges. I will force patina them.

Last edited by a moderator:
To OP, go hang out on KitchenKnifeForums - alot of very knowledgable ppl about kitchen knives & sharpening there. Keep in mind, that the forum owner seriously dislike CKTG.

For $350, you sure can get a nice starter assemble of jknives: 240mm gyuto white#2, 180mm petty/util blue or white, small cleaver/deba.

What is CKTG?

We don't need to know that the owner of another forum has a problem with a retail website. We don't do cross-forum drama.

Gentlemen,

Linking to non-paid BF dealers is against the rules. Please no more.

You'll find a link to the FAQ and Exchange rules in my signature.

Thanks

Jason

Could it be that it is less about the steel and blade shape on the Victorinox and more about the handle comfort ? This is just my observation and please chime in here with your opinions but I think most kitchen knives are uncomfortable . Little skinny flat handles that are not designed for the pinch grip most american chefs are taught to use . Very non ergonomic and not very controllable if your hands are slippery . This is one of the major reasons I feel Victorinox cooks knives are a staple for so many cooks. Price aside for a moment . Isn't this the reason or at least a major contributing factor ? I can't for the life of me understand the standard kitchen knife handle design . Seems more about ease of manufacture than ease of use . Am I wrong here ?

Could it be that it is less about the steel and blade shape on the Victorinox and more about the handle comfort ? This is just my observation and please chime in here with your opinions but I think most kitchen knives are uncomfortable . Little skinny flat handles that are not designed for the pinch grip most american chefs are taught to use . Very non ergonomic and not very controllable if your hands are slippery . This is one of the major reasons I feel Victorinox cooks knives are a staple for so many cooks. Price aside for a moment . Isn't this the reason or at least a major contributing factor ? I can't for the life of me understand the standard kitchen knife handle design . Seems more about ease of manufacture than ease of use . Am I wrong here ?
I never thought about that in regards to the Victorinox Forschner knives, since I use the "pinch" method. Again, that's what works for me and I'm not Chef/Cook. Sure would like to hear others comments too.

I agree with Mr.Onion. In my opinion, the handle feel, weight and balance are as important as the kind of steel. You're not going to use an uncomfortable knife. I like Forschner (Victorinox), but at that level, I prefer the Kershaw 9900 series. They have better handles. I almost never use a paring knife, but I do have relatives that never use anything else. I much prefer a boning knife. My current favorite is a Mora Frost - best handle ever and it holds an edge almost as well as my Bob Kramer carbon steel chef's knife.

Back