Kitchen knife

I finally realized that the kitchen is where nearly everyone uses knives the most. That is certainly true at our house. And furthermore, I'll admit that the knives which inhabit our kitchen are crap. They form an eclectic assembly of dissimilar stuff, accumulated over time, with no logic and zip for quality, with the exception of a big Chicago chefs knife. In order to begin correcting this I ordered a Spyderco 2" paring knife. The price is right, the size is about right, and Spyderco kitchen knives get rave reviews. Time to find out.

After having used if for several days I've got some observations:
1. The size is incredible. When I first looked at it, I thought, "boy, that's kind of small." It is, but that's the whole idea! Many kitchen tasks call for a knife blade that is shorter than your finger. For opening plastic bags, severing celery stalks from their buddies, clipping the ends off potatos before nuking them, and so on.
2. The handle is large enough to provide a secure hold and material itself provides a sticky, no slip surface.
3. The knife came quite sharp and it was immediately put into action. After several days it did not appear to have dulled at all from use on a poly cutting board. Nevertheless, being a "knife guy" I had to monkey around with it (of course). Using my Spyderco ceramic sharpener, I put a hair popping edge on it with ease.

My wife loves it. It gets used more than all the other knives put together. I'm going to add in a larger paring knife ASAP and keeping adding until we've got everything we need. These are great knives!

I do have a couple of questions. Are they full tang, and are the handles okay in the dishwasher? Thanks, Jack

Jack, I agreee the paring knife is one of the most used knives in our kitchen. However can I recommend that the next knife you buy should be the Santoku. It is, with out a doubt, the best knife I've ever used for "slicing and dicing". My wife really likes the Santoku also because I've spent heaps more time in the kitchen since I bought it
biggrin.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Back