kitchen knife

Hi,
I'd like to know that what companies of kitchen knife manufacuring are famous and big around the world?
In addition, what kinds of materials are coated normally on edge of kitchen knives?

Thanks for readings....

I am a bit of a chef, 1968 to present :)

Old makes:

Sabatier (French)
Gustav Emilern (Swiss)
Granton (British - they are the scalloped edge knives)
Victorinox (Swiss)

More modern:
Swibo (colour coded plastic handles)

Modern Day:

Global (Japanese one piece knife. Very hard steel)
Porsche (Similar to Global, but German and 'designer' shaped)
Wustoff (German - hollow ground blades)
Kai (Japanese, also made<?> marketed by Kershaw USA) Damascus steel.

I have examples of all of the above apart from Porsche and Wusthoff. My absolute favourites are my Kai Santoku, 12" carbon steel Sabatier, 18" Granton slicer, and Global fish filleting knife.

Not sure what you mean by 'what kinds of materials are coated normally on edge of kitchen knives'? Kitchen knives don't have coated blades. They need to be sharpened on a regular basis with a stone and a sharpening steel to maintain the sharp edge required, so any coating would come off. If anything did come off the blade, that would be considered a health hazard.

Hope that helps. Why do you ask?

Edited to add, why do I have this feeling that there are going to be knives coming from Korea marked 'Porsche' or 'Global'.

nothing like a little market research eh??

I am still chuckling on your last comment.

Yes indeedy, and as 3 months have elapsed I expect they have been researched, designed, made by the thousands, badged, packaged and are sitting in a warehouse by now, ready to be sold by market and street traders in the Spring :)

BTW, I have a Buck knife, Mr Buck, it was my first lockback purchased in 1980. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Mr. Buck,
I would like to tell you about my most recent experience with your company.
I bought several Commemorative 110s at Walmart this last Christmas. 2 of them went to my nephews in the Navy. They were thrilled. I was going through Post Falls January 2nd and stopped by the Buck retail store and dropped off a 110 for the Custom Shop to put a BG42 blade in. Mr Houser's crew did a GREAT job. I had the knife back in about 10 days. It is wonderful! I am extremely pleased. Your crew did an outstanding job! You have a new fan. Mostly I collect Schrade and some older knives. It is nice to know that there are still a few good American made knives. I was disappointed to see Chinese made Buck slip joints at Walmart, but I suppose that was necessary given the current market conditions. Even Les De Asis has some made in Taiwan.
My main complaint is with knives made in China. As a Vietnam veteran I think we dodged enough Chinese made steel in Vietnam, I personally won't buy knives made in china. I do not have problem buying from other countries, such as Taiwan and Japan, but not China or Pakistan. With China it is a political issue, with Pakistan it is a quality issue.
I much prefer to buy knives made in the good old USA, like your 110.

Thank you,
Dale Vincent
dalervincent@comcast.net

Back