kitchen knives

i am getting married in the spring and am in the process of regestering for things. One thing i really need is a set of kitchen knives. I am regestered at target and they have chicago cutlery and henkles. I like the looks of both but which set would be better. Should i stay away from these and just buy a set on my own. These should be fine for a few years until i can buy a nice set of my own. I do a lot go cooking but really dont expect a lot from my knives(ex. super knives to cut steel or something) I can sharpen them when needed. what do you guys think.

See if you can find a deal on a set of Henkles Four Star kitchen knives. From what I've seen at Target they carry the lower end series of knives. Try looking at department stores like Macys or Strawbridges for the Four Star. Also places like Bed Bath and Beyond, kitchen supply stores, and Cutlery Shops should carry these. If you come across Global brand kitchen knives be sure to check them out, but they will probably be more expensive.

I would not do the Chicago cutlery thing, I had bad luck with them.

I have the Henkle Five Stars, great knifes! You can get a small 3 piece starter set for not too much from Amazon, then ask for a few others that you need as gifts if the price is an issue.

I would never again buy cheap kitchen knives. You'll use them much more then most things to go cheap.

Watch on the Henkles though, several of the lines are made in China and are not very good. Pick a line that you like, 4 or 5 star and go with it. Biggest difference I think between those 2 are the handles.

I´ve been trying to do a search for "kitchen knives" because I remember a couple of good threads about it, but something is not working, I suggest you try, plenty of comments and suggestions to be found.

Spyderco is apparently still making kitchen knives - superior steel from a company well-regarded here. Search on Google of other engine: "Spyderco" + "kitchen." Reasonable price and superior quality.

Forschner (by Victorinox) is another brand to consider.

Good hunting.

Chicago Cutlery was once America's favorite kitchen cutlery. Sadly, they stopped U.S. production completely about 3 years ago and now every one of their products is made in Red China. That may not bother you but the quality would bother you if you compared them to the Chicago Cutlery of yore. I would steer away from them without looking back.

My personal experience with kitchen knives from sporting knife companies like Spyderco, Cold Steel and others is uniformly poor. There is little thought given at all to things that are important to me like balance or ergonomics or even designing blade profiles for an appropriate kitchen use. I hate saying that because I like the sporting knives these companies produce and I'm even a collector of Spyderco knives personally.

Henckels would be my choice of those brands mentioned above. Even their relatively inexpensive International Classic series is good. They are Spanish forged kitchen knives that work just fine and feel good in the process. Take care.

If you're registered at Target then go with the Henckels. They're good knives and will do the job. Since these are likely to be a gift, you've got nothing to lose. They'll certainly perform well for a couple of years (as you said in your post). By that time you will probably have stronger opinions about what you like and dislike. Then you can buy what suits you best.

www.agrussell.com Check out his kitchen knives. Excellent quaity at affordable prices. The catalog does not specify steel type, but I believe it is AUS8A, a great choice for kitchen knives IMHO.

I've never really seen the point of the big sets with umpteen knives. Take that money and get a really good 8-9" chefs knife and a smaller paring knife. I've been very happy with Global although I recently got a couple of knives from Murray Carter and those are currently my fave.

Back