Kitchen Ultility

I don't see much discussion about the Spyderco Kitchen Utility knives.

I brought one home (non serrated) from the shop a few weeks ago and WOW! That knife makes my Victorinox knives seen like butter spreaders.
My wife absolutely loves it, too.

If you don't have one, get one. You won't be disappointed.

The PE is our most used kitchen knife, and the SE gets lots of use too. We're exceptionally impressed with them, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone to buy one. MBS 26 is holding it's edge very nicely too.

The K04's are great knives, but I prefer a shorter blade for most of what I do in the kitchen. My old K05 was my most used kitchen knife until Araneae modded one of the new K04's into a "mini santoku" for me. Sal has indicated that more of the older models will be brought back, and I will be getting at least one of all that are.

I'd really like several paring knives.
Have to say that, as much as I like the rest of Spyderco's older Kitchen knives, I find the handle of the K09 Paring Knife too small for comfort. If they reissue the K05 Small Utiilty I may get one cut down to 3.5".

I "think" Sal said more Spyderco kitchen knives will be on the way.

Ive often wondered how how the mule would fare as a utility knife. Im guessing it would be excellent for procesing whole birds.

Ive often wondered how how the mule would fare as a utility knife. Im guessing it would be excellent for procesing whole birds.
As well as any fixed blade knife with under 3.5" of cutting edge and a 3mm thick blade would. IMHO, that makes it too short to be a good cleaver and too thick to be much good for anything else, except in a pinch. However, as with most things in life, YMMV.

I keep a mule in the kitchen knife rack at all times. The ergonomics of the handle appeal to me and I use it for trimming meat and vegetables and any small task, especially anytime I'm in a hurry and I'm concerned that I might drop the knife. I have other knives for slicing and chopping, but I find the handles on most of the smaller kitchen knives too small for my safety so I've gotten used to using largish knives to do most kitchen tasks.

Stick around this forum long enough and you'll hear tales, and see pictures of different Spyderco Folders being used for food prep. I prefer the kitchen utility knives for kitchen work. If I'm in a restaurant and the steak knife is duller than the butter knife I'll sometimes use the Spyderco in my pocket to accomplish the task. In that task I've only used my Stretch, OD Goddard, and CruWear Millie, but I keep them sharp and they did exceptionally. If the steak knife is even half sharp though I'll use it because it gets fewer funny looks haha.

Back