Kizer Splinter Mod

Got a Kizer Splinter recently (the anodized blue version), and liked it, but found myself still grabbing the zt0450 instead of it whenever I wanted that size knife. Also being a mod fiend, I just got ancy to fuck with a knife again, to be honest. So here we go: 1. chopped off 1/4" for a sheepsfoot shape to the blade (was tiring of the overly stabby profile of the original) 2. rounded the blade spine (for elegance) 3. ground off some of the handle pattern (got tired of the 'dragon scale' vibe) 4. flame anodized the handles a subtle bronze (aesthetics)
A main worry was losing the awesome blade:handle ration, but I think it was worth it. Blade is just over 3", and the handle is at 4.25".

Update: wasn't too happy with the handles, so kept grinding off the texture, then hit it with a torch for a bronzed hue (lockside also got a lil hint of purple)

might continue grinding off the texture altogether, and contouring the handles even more.
Update2: Zapped the texture altogether, and contoured the handles. Used oxiclean to darken, done.
mvueMfu.jpg

PHNAgqq.jpg

uqbiZMl.jpg

VTI09M1.jpg

QV3pgzK.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up zapping out the texturing, and contouring the scales. Finished w/ oxiclean to darken. Done, finally. Updated the pics above...

Agartha:

That looks nice! great work! as a wharnie fan, I'm loving the blade shape.

Quick question: have you thought about polishing the handle?

Agartha:

That looks nice! great work! as a wharnie fan, I'm loving the blade shape.

Quick question: have you thought about polishing the handle?

Thanks Kizer! Yeah, I first polished the handle (only to ~1000 grit) before zapping it w/ the oxiclean, but felt it was a little too 'blingy'. The oxiclean dulled and darkened the ti in a way that I prefer. I had also messed around w/ flame anodizing a dark bronze, but again felt it was a little too garish/blingy. Thanks for your feedback!

Agartha:

Thank YOU for this mod, I really like the wharnie blade as I feel this is a under-appreciated blade shape.

I do feel you on the handle colors, it is a very personal thing whether it is just right or over the top. maybe we'll do a version with an blank aluminum handle for the utmost in anodizing DIY finish platform, :)

Back