KKK knife - Can you believe it?

First off, I would like to say that I am neither affiliated with nor do I endorse the KKK...that said, here's the story on this one.

I was searching for advertising/novelty knives to add to my collection this weekend when I stumbled upon this one. I asked the seller if he had any advertising knives, and he cautiously mentioned he had a KKK knife. I was very surprised, as I am relatively new to collecting novelty knives, and didn't know such a thing existed! I asked him if I could see it and he pulled it out from what seemed to be a hiding place under a display of knives on his table. He said he had this knife, along with other KKK items, at a recent show and the organizers of the event asked him to remove all of the KKK items from his table. He said all he had left was this little knife.

I thought to myself that if I didn't buy it, the chances of finding another one like it would probably be very small. So this little guy in his bed sheets is now a part of my collection. The stamp on the blade reads "U.S.A.". The knife is just under 3" when closed. Would anyone happen to know the maker of this knife?

I feel that I am taking a risk by showing this knife in the gallery, but I am hoping that my fellow knife enthusiasts will see it for what it is, not what it represents. Please be kind to me! :( As I said before, I do not endorse the activities of the KKK. I am merely a collector of what I consider to be unique and interesting knives. Thanks for taking a look!

KKK.jpg

...and welcome to the Forums. Although I can't tell you anything about the lineage of that knife, I have seen a couple before. One about 9 years ago at the Great Western Show when it was still in So Califonia, and one maybe 4 years prior to that in some pawn shop.

No need to worry about "bashing" on here.., personally I'm happy the knife falls totally in the realm of "Novelty", rather than commonplace.

Hope you enjoy looking around on here..., lots of nice people. and great knives!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I don't know anything about this particular knife. KKK memorabilia is quite collectable and some has a fairly high value.

There is also a lot of fake KKK stuff out there. You might want to post this one the Bernard Levine forum. They might be able to help you more over there.

I have seen a few KKK affiliated knifes on ebay within the last couple of years but they were boker top locks with the logo on the scale.

I have seen KKK knives at the gun shows here in Florida. Most of the ones I've seen were popular, older, Case models. I read that Case never produced them, the KKK bought them, then had there "artwork" applied.

Neil

Hi,
I haven't seen the KKK knives for sale in person before, but Shotgun News, the gun magazine has occasionally advertised them. I've also seen KKK presentation swords for sale in there as well. The swords I've also seen advertised on Ebay and in some of the other military collecting journals. I think I even saw ads for some in the back of Military History Quarterly or World War Two magazine. I personally wouldn't own one, but an interesting piece nonetheless.
Good luck in your search for information. Maybe Barlow or Case, just a guess as to who made you specimen. Also, the heydey of the clan came around 1923, I think if my memory serves correctly, and that is probably when a lot of those were made. You may want to start by finding out who was in business then.
Lagarto

Hi,

This style look's similar to the small novelty charm knives, sold by Imperial, and Colonial. Try Bernard Levine's forum for a more precise answer. This style is seen on eBay frequently, for around $10-15.

Hope this helps!!!

I happen to have a KKK Case trapper in the collectors box that I bought from a gentleman in Dallas around 1992. I am a Case Collector and I jumped on this one just because it was different.

This subject pops up from time to time. No big deal,IMHO. People are entitled to believe in what they want to.

There was a maker that died recently, I do not recall his name,but he marked his knives 'KKK'. He and Paul Basch were apparently good friends the way Paul talks about him.
He had a hell of a sense of humor. He was black.

Hi Maurice,

The man's name is Alex Collins, a great guy. I didn't hear that he died recently. He was an exhibitor at Knife Expo 2000, and at the 2001 Las Vegas Classic Knife show. He started making knives in 1969 and went into full-time knife making in 1980. I got one of his "push daggers" (years ago). Very, very cool... with a cast bronze handle by Jody Samson (all skulls, carved in deep relief)... it's one of my favorite skull items. If I could only find where I put it... :(

I certainly hope Alex hasn't died. Alex probably hopes so, too.

Take care,

John

Back