Knee reconstruction today AHHHH!

This is the day Ive been worried about. At 10:30 this morning I go under the knife (no not my knife) for surgery. Dr Willard will drill fron the top and the bottom and pull in a piece of my own grafted ham string to act as a new Anterior Cruciate Legament. 4 more weeks off and not in the shop much. What is your favorite soap opera?

good luck Bruce, Just take it easy and don't rush getting back on your feet. This would be a great time to practice silver inlay.

Take care

Bill

Good luck on the procedure.
time to get out the cad program.
I can see enough new designs to keep you busy for a while.
TJ

My ham string was cut 1989 due sport injuries.
Took me 8 months to be able to run again and ended my Karate practice for an year. Bummer man...

Juha

wishing you the best, and do take it easy when you get back. i hear there is a whole channel just for cartoons :D

Thanks fellas. I want to try silver casting next. I have some wax and an unfinished dagger. After a few weeks of remelting I should be able to make wax originals of the pommel and guard parts for casting. Maybe I can finish the web site info Ive been putting off too. I buy antique firearms books but dont have time to read them. Maybe now is the time.

good luck Bruce
you could take one of your own
and tell him you hope that it turns out very well :eek: :) :footinmou

Good luck Bruce, hope everything goes well for you.

As far as the soaps go; there are some pretty nice looking women on some of them, but Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, Judge Joe Browne, etc. are much more entertaining.:D

I could send you some blades that need hand sanding, if you get borded.;)

Bruce, Wish you a speedy recovery! Nothing worse than waiting for things to heal.... You just going in for day surgery?

Good luck, and get well soon. I guess I ought to send some of my stuff in for some handsanding too, as long as you're doing it. :D

Best wishes from down in Dixie.... needlestitch? I did some while I was recovering from surgery. Pretty tough to do well and it's fairly cheap. :p

Good luck on your surgery, Bruce. We could strap some boards and wheels on you and wheel you into your shop. Maybe even install a motor so you can get out of the house. Then maybe some headlights and a horn, and....... . Maybe try some of IG's hot relish. you won't even notice your knee bothering you, then! Get well soon, guy.

Good luck and speedy recovery Bruce. I bet you find a way back into the shop before 4 weeks are up...

good luck with the surgery. Follow your rehab schedule to a T or do even more. Hope it went well today.

Here's some advice for ya Bruce...
1. Bring foam ear plugs for the hospital stay. You may just end up with a sleep apnea snorer in the bed next to you. I guarantee you will not sleep a wink.
2. If you are taller than 5'10", ask for the bed extender for your hospital bed.
3. Make sure you have trusted family members keeping an eye on you in the hospital. The nurses are overworked and understaffed. They will not pay you the attention you deserve.
4. Be nice to your nurses. Believe me, it doesn't take much to turn one into "Nurse Ratchet"

Now for when you get home...
5. Stay away from Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, and any other daytime talk show. They WILL ROT YOUR BRAIN! I lived for the news.
6. Buy a play station. I mastered "Medal of Honor" Much more fun than watching the above crap.
7. DO NOT EAT CHILI UNTIL YOU ARE CAPABLE OF WIPING YOUR OWN BUTT! (this bit of advice is from my wife!:D )
8. Slip on shoes are best, I like the Merrill jungle mocs. You will also live in sweat pants.
9. Make sure you have lots of visitors, when you are ready of course.
10. And most important of all: Do all of your rehab exercises. Do more than what the docs ask for and do them everyday without fail.

I had a total hip replacement in 2000 and was home for 8 long weeks. At least I know what to expect if I gotta do the other side someday. Best of luck with your surgery, things will go fine.
Mongo

Take it easy and enjoy the downtime. OK I know thats what everyone says and it is begining to drive you crazy but considering that there is nothing else that you can do afterwards why not enjoy it.

I can appeciate your situation, I am going under the knife in three weeks and am expecting a three month recovery period....it's going to drive me nuts!

Maybe try some of IG's hot relish. you won't even notice your knee bothering you, then! Get well soon, guy.
John: You should of thought of that earlier. It would of killed it or cured it.

Back