Knife advice

Hi, I am looking for an affordable kitchen knife. I want to have a good kitchen knife that makes cutting enjoyable. Until today, I only had cheap knives that aren't fun to use. My budget is at most 100€. Additionally, I would like to buy a whetstone, but just like with the knife, I am inexperienced in this area. I've searched through the entire internet and found many good-looking knives with positive reviews, but somehow they seem too advanced for me or are very expensive. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really know much about knives, and the appearance alone can't tell me if it's good or bad.

Hopefully, you can help me find a good knife for enjoyable cutting and cooking.

Enjoyable is subjective.

I like modified cleavers because it makes me feel like a big man when I cook.

I have an off grid grizzly that I enjoy cooking with a lot more than I probably should.

And a dalstrong shogun something.

I have no idea what 100€ is in real money. So I couldn't tell you if the price is comparable.

Last edited:
K kolobokln Victorinox, the company that makes Swiss Army Knives, also makes great kitchen knives. They are comfortable and pleasant to use, easy to maintain, and designed for use by cooks at any level of experience. You should be able to buy 3 or more such knives for 100 euros and maybe have some leftover for a simple sharpening stone. I would suggest getting a basic set including an 8 inch chef's knife, a paring knife (serrated or plain edge), and an offset sandwich knife (a serrated bread knife that gives you better leverage).

As for sharpening, there are hundreds of videos on YouTube, but here's a couple. Note the first guy uses a diamond stone, which I recommend, however the technique applies to most whetstones.

Here's some info regarding honing:

Just be sure to avoid pull through sharpeners and glass/marble cutting boards. They seem convenient but they usually cause more damage than good.

Wakui Hamono gyuto is right about that price range, it would be a revelation for you. Might have to shop around as I think prices are rising pretty fast on them.

Robert Herder are also right about that price point in Europe.

Fujiwara FKH are good knives and with thinning can be really pretty good, regardless they are likely better than anything you have used and are a good first step. Their gyutos were for right handers last I knew.

I'm sure there are many others.

Back