Knife carry law reform in North Carolina

My suggested language. Comments welcome:

(d) This section does not apply to any knife or tool with a blade length of five inches or less carried or used for lawful purposes. Blade length shall be measured

from a straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

My suggested language. Comments welcome:

(d) This section does not apply to any knife or tool with a blade length of five inches or less carried or used for lawful purposes. Blade length shall be measured

from a straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

I understand that they're trying to see what they can get passed vs what we really want. If I had my way, the section would say "This section does not apply to any knife." And stop there. But that may not be realistic.
One suggestion for your wording is that the "carried or used for lawful purposes" be rephrased to specify that the burden of proof lies with the state, not the defendant, that a knife is carried with unlawful intent or purpose.
Some other jurisdictions with intent provisions have had issues were unlawful intent is simply presumed automatically, or is inferred by the design of the knife itself.

I have already gotten a few replies back opposing any changes to knife carry.

I did get some supporting it but nobody has agreed to pursue the issue.

I am guessing any changes would need support of both political parties in the state?

I don't want to get political, just legally carry my knife.

I don't think anyone wants to legalize the concealed carry of combat and "Rambo" type knives right now.

Last edited:
I’m a lifetime NC resident. I am friends with a local sheriff’s deputy who is also a knife guy, and we have discussed knife laws a bit.

According to him, almost any officer isn’t going to do anything about your concealed knife, regardless of its size, unless it’s somehow involved in a potentially criminal situation. And yes, he says that if any portion of a clip is visible, that means that it’s not concealed, according to his understanding.

Now if you go carrying an unsheathed sword into the grocery store, expect the worst. And don’t go into a biker bar with a switchblade boot knife and get into a fight. If the law gets called, even if you never pull the knife, it’s at least likely to be confiscated.

Also, always inform the officer that you have a knife in your possession or on your person if being questioned. They are much more likely to respond negatively if you lie - duh.

But for the most part, you’re probably totally fine carrying around a concealed XL Espada every day, and you’ll never have to deal with any issues.

Just don’t be stupid.

Monday the 23rd I'm scheduled to leave San Juan and I get to Charlotte in the evening. Then I got to drive to Hendersonville. I'm going home for medical reasons. I haven't been there in quite a while. The only question I have is a self-assisted knife legal or illegal. The gun laws I understand completely. But I've heard conflicting stories on knives. So would a 3.25 in self-assisted knife legal? The last thing I need is to run a foul of the law. But I really need my knife, I use it for many daily chores. I'm only talking about a Kershaw self-assisted knife. Thank you in advance gentleman

Monday the 23rd I'm scheduled to leave San Juan and I get to Charlotte in the evening. Then I got to drive to Hendersonville. I'm going home for medical reasons. I haven't been there in quite a while. The only question I have is a self-assisted knife legal or illegal. The gun laws I understand completely. But I've heard conflicting stories on knives. So would a 3.25 in self-assisted knife legal? The last thing I need is to run a foul of the law. But I really need my knife, I use it for many daily chores. I'm only talking about a Kershaw self-assisted knife. Thank you in advance gentleman
no problem, have a good trip.

I would say that it is highly unlikely that an LEO will be checking your pockets to begin with. If you are concerned about that, don't have the pocket clip showing.

The laws are confusing even to law enforcement because many of the terms are not clearly defined...and thus can be argued either way.

Critter Critter would be a good source of any further available info...

I would say that it is highly unlikely that an LEO will be checking your pockets to begin with. If you are concerned about that, don't have the pocket clip showing.

The laws are confusing even to law enforcement because many of the terms are not clearly defined...and thus can be argued either way.

I sent critter a message hopefully he gets back with me, thank you Blues.

I sent critter a message hopefully he gets back with me, thank you Blues.
You're welcome. Please come back and let us know if he provides any additional insight.

If these legislators can please tell us which knives open using explosives I'd like to see them.
Laws are hard to figure out. But if I was a gambling Man on the Mississippi river boat I would have to put my bet that they're talking about ballistic knives. But of course I do not know what I'm talking about just guessing

A critter said he couldn't give me any legal information. I guess he doesn't want to steer me in the wrong direction. All I need is something to open packages with so I'm going to take a manual flipper with a 3.2 inch blade. I am in no condition to break a law. If I have any police contact which I seriously doubt I'll just explain and tell the truth like I always do and the police usually understand. I did call Hendersonville Police department. The person I talked to told me that with open carry gun laws that they have now the last thing they're worried about is a knife. He wished me the best and was a very nice man. His name was Ron he told me if I have any problems call him. Thanks blues I think everything will be okay

I have heard from only a few law enforcement officers that said they would never charge anyone with carring a knife, unless they were being a-holes and were being charged with something else.

Back