Knife Cleaners

My E-Mail for Advice

To Whome it may concerns,

I need advice on cleaning an old rusted Stainless steel blade and I know that who ever owned it last cleaned it with Alcohol which is the reason the blade is rusted. But I've heard of a cleaner called SilverMate, made by StainlessMate, which will restore the shine and take off the rust, but is it safe to use on the blade? Will it turn the steel yellow, like ammonia? Will it eat through my priceless blade? I just need an answer.

how badly rusted is it? if it's just a few spots, then a little metal poish normally does the trick.

But if you're talking about a fine dusting all over the blade, you should look at starting with steel wool and then silicon carbide paper to smoothen it out. Work thru the grades of paper, from 400, 800, 1500/2000. You should get a decent satin finish.

To lube the paper, you can use baby oil (it's really just mineral oil) or any off the shelf gun lube. I have heard of odourless kerosene and that seemed to work well for someone.

Be prepared for some serious elbow grease tho... take a few hours or so. Then top of with a polishing paste to bring out a matt shine.

If you have deep pits... hmmm that's really nasty... you'll have to sand/grind down to the level of the pit to get it out... and that could be detrimental to your blade. I'd personally just use the above method and leave the blade black. The patina (which is the colouring left on the metal from the oxidation process of rusting) adds character.

hope that helps.

Back