Knife confiscated in club help!

Hi,
I’m a F18 UK Uni student. I recently went out to a club wearing a coat in which I carry my knife in (UK legal under 3 inches blade) However stupidly I forgot to take it out of this coat as i usually wear it when i need to walk alone at night & carry it to feel safer.
Anyway, as i approached to get searched I obviously let them know i had the item on me and specified why I carry it. Security took it off me and asked me to leave which I did.
Obviously I was quite annoyed they took this off me as it was a present from a family member however i’m more anxious about police being called on me/telling my Uni? What can they legally do if they just asked me to leave the premises & took my blade. Thanks x

I think you'll be better served to contact a solicitor for advice as they will be able to address specific UK laws and precedent.

I would be surprised if you suffered any legal consequences from this: you were searched by a bouncer at a club who seized your knife and told you to leave. It's not exactly a clear chain of control of evidence. Also, if it truly is legal to carry a knife with a blade shorter than 3 inches then you were doing nothing illegal.

Again, this does not constitute legal advice and you should contact a solicitor. I don't normally say this, but perhaps you should avoid carrying a knife for a while, especially if you believe you may enter a restricted area where you'll be subject to searches. It's a weird world these days and there's no need to bring unnecessary trouble at such a young age.

Hi,
I’m a F18 UK Uni student. I recently went out to a club wearing a coat in which I carry my knife in (UK legal under 3 inches blade) However stupidly I forgot to take it out of this coat as i usually wear it when i need to walk alone at night & carry it to feel safer.
Anyway, as i approached to get searched I obviously let them know i had the item on me and specified why I carry it. Security took it off me and asked me to leave which I did.
Obviously I was quite annoyed they took this off me as it was a present from a family member however i’m more anxious about police being called on me/telling my Uni? What can they legally do if they just asked me to leave the premises & took my blade. Thanks x
What knife was it? Even if the cutting edge is under 3 inches, depending on whether it "locks" or not, it may not be legal to carry.
"are not lock knives (they do not have a button, spring or catch that you have to use to fold the knife)"
As for any legal ramifications from this incident as others suggest you should ask a solicitor. But offhand,
did the club bouncer take look at your ID, take your name, address, etc? If not I don't see what exactly they are going to report to the
police or school that can come back to you.

And why didn't you ask for it back when they told you to leave? Sounds like this bouncer must be building a collection.
I once knew a guy who was a bouncer in springfield. he would have kept the knife too.....

Where we have check points for NPA they just ask you not to bring it IN..... If they find it on you.

So you take it back to your car, or stash it in a bush or something. If you cant do that or won't, Then they take it. and you lose it.

I Would Not have left without it...... Think about it, if it was illegal for (you) to have, it's illegal for him too. ?

If it was a matter of private property and owners descretion..... then it wouldn't/Should not have been confiscated. You just don't get in.

Side story.... Many years ago I've been to clubs in Chicago before any carry rights. Everything was illegal then/there. Nobody could leagally carry then.
They had check-ins so you could leave your guns at the door, safely. (for the hood rats)
Rough area..... was Stupid, and Young.

Love these kinds of posts where the OP makes a provocative post and then just disappears.

Did they confront the bouncer and get beaten into a coma? Did they get arrested for illegal carry and as a result is currently serving a life sentence? Maybe they just bought another knife and went on with life. Bladeforums may never know...

I wouldn’t have let him take it if he asked me to leave and I did. I’d say “I’ll leave, but with my property”.

If you didn’t tell them your name or anything why worry? I wouldn’t worry even if they saw your ID, etc. They see thousands of em and won’t remember you unless they wrote down your info.

took it off me
Yeah...nope !

I'd maybe show it, but there's no reason to hand it over , IMO .

And if you're being turned away , why leave without your knife ?

I can't imagine a legal justification for this unless you were menacing or fighting on premises .

Even so , even the real cops can't normally just keep your property , legally that is .

Written laws are one thing ...Law of the Jungle , quite another .

Just as a practical matter , this is another good reason not to carry anything you can't bear to lose .

Yikes, that sucks! I can't live without my long knives, so I don't know how you guys do it.

If I lived in the UK I would only carry a high-power tactical flashlight for self-defense.

What bullshit these days!! Never had this search crap back in the early 70s when I was hittin the single bars. Always packed a folder in my pocket and no one knew. Seems today ya need some kind of protection more than ever.

It is from what I read. Never say that it’s for defense you will admit to weapon possession by intent.

People can sit on their armchair and tell you you should not allow it but they won’t be there to bail you out of jail.

It may be wrong it may be unfair but I am glad the police were not called. I believe Britain requires what they would consider a good reason for having it ??? (Trade that requires type of knife etc..)

Self defense would not be considered a lawful purposes for carrying a knife. I read Britain is very strict about cutlery. There is even a store/chain that has pledged to sell only blunt tip kitchen knives. The hysteria is off the wall over there.

Last edited:
Back