knife contest

Hello all,

I placed the below post in another thread but I thought I would start a new one to get some additional ideas. Frank made the comment in another post to give him an idea for a knife giveaway, here is mine. Please feel free to add or tweak on it as you like. I just thought it was a decent idea. Here is the original post that was buried pretty deep in another thread.

Hi Frank,

Perhaps I can be of assistance with an idea for the knife promo/giveaway....

Why not offer a free knife along these lines-

On this site an the others that you work with offer a free knife to the person that comes up with the best improvement or addition to one of your knives....

Then go a step further (if you want) - Have the winner's design improvement incorporated into a limited run where they get to choose the designation of the knife. i.e.- If I come up with a way to incorporate some extremely cool feature into say, the Doberman, and I win. Then the production run would use the name I designate after the model name ( I have a Doberman Pinscher and work with them so let's say I want to name the knife after my dog, Baron. The knife would be the K1 Doberman "Baron" or whatever the winner chooses )

Here is what you get- TONS of people giving your knives a good, long look. TONS of feedback regarding your knife designs and what people do and do not like about them as well as what they would improve upon.

This gives you great market awareness and allows you to tap into the cumulative hundreds of years of experience of the good folks on this and other boards. That will allow you to sell more knives and with the input make better knives.

And what does it cost?

A knife. Well, OK, better make that 2 'cause I will be happy to trade you the above idea for a Harpoon F with the camo finish. ;)

Todd

If we had enough interest, we might be able to do a passaround for one of the ER knives. Steven Roos is the pro at it, but the basics are having about 10 people sign up and each pay x amount of dollars to cover the purchase of the knife (one person must be trusted enough for everyone to send their money to and initially purchase the knife). The knife is passed to each person for one week, and when it's done a raffle, or some contest lands the knife in one of the contestant's hands.

name the new ER knife giveaway. Best name for a new model wins it. Saves ya from having to employ marketing to name it.:)

Or, there's the old raffle method. either pay to get a chance, or if the raffle is free, everyone jsut posts replies to the "Win an ER knife" thread.

Keith

Passarounds are definitely one of the best ways to let people experience your knife first hand. It's a great idea that folks really pick up on. It can be handled carefully and done right in a safe and secure way. Just depends on who's doing it.

my 0.02

If we had enough interest, we might be able to do a passaround for one of the ER knives

I have spoke to Frank and plans are in the works ;) Stand by for a thread in the near future.

Originally posted by TheBadGuy
I have spoke to Frank and plans are in the works ;) Stand by for a thread in the near future.

You've already got one in the works? If you wouldn't mind, could you shoot me an email with the details?

Sorry guys, the Freebie ER passarounds are not going to happen as Frank has chosen not to sponsor them. However I believe Steve Roos has a Passaround raffle sign up in the passaround forum for those interested ;)

i would be interested in getting one of these knives ,but to be honest i would prefer to handle one in a passaround that way i can compare it to my SOG vision .JMO

Back