• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knife DLC Coating service!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
very cool. does the surface need any special preparation?

Awesome! I look forward to getting a blade or two done.

very cool. does the surface need any special preparation?

No, although if there are any scratches or anything it will show through the coating. So the 3 different main finishes I will be dealing in will be Bead blasted (satin), sandblasted (matte), and as ground (whether low grit or mirror).

So what kind of price are we looking at, how much for the knife you have done in post 1, minus post and packing to give us an idea.

John.

So what kind of price are we looking at, how much for the knife you have done in post 1, minus post and packing to give us an idea.

John.
Pricing and info are found on my website by clicking on the link in the OP, if you need a specific quote please shoot me an email, josh@razoredgeknives.com

Are you now able to do a Blackwash finish by stonewashing a PVD coating?

Are you now able to do a Blackwash finish by stonewashing a PVD coating?
Have to play around with it more, but I doubt it. On hard coatings like this if stonewashing afterwards it will wear away at the corners and not the flat parts of the sides of the blade - not sure how the manufacturers do it w/ DLC

Have to play around with it more, but I doubt it. On hard coatings like this if stonewashing afterwards it will wear away at the corners and not the flat parts of the sides of the blade - not sure how the manufacturers do it w/ DLC

Please do try! I would send multiple blades over in a second. Maybe try a thin coat or sandblasting it off or both along with stonewashing?

Please do try! I would send multiple blades over in a second. Maybe try a thin coat or sandblasting it off or both along with stonewashing?

Just updated the OP w/ pics of a working finish w/ PVD over top...

Just opened books after closing the PVD I was using and switching over to a true DLC. OP has been updated w/ info, it's just amazing stuff! Here's a ZT 0452 blacked out w/ the new DLC.

i-k3jJzmT-X2.jpg

Hi John,
Are there any issues with sharpening after DLC has been applied? Can you do this to stainless steel?
Thanks,
Brad

Hi John,
Are there any issues with sharpening after DLC has been applied? Can you do this to stainless steel?
Thanks,
Brad

No, no issues at all. And stainless is fine, as long as the steel can handle the 450f temps.

I realize this is an old thread, but I’m curious if you have got processing temps down lower? Under 400 degrees?

Thanks. How long are they kept at 500f ? Obviously, these numbers must be factored into tempering cycles or the steel would drop in HRC. I’m sure you have this all figured out, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around what stage a maker would send you steel. I’m guessing it would have to be after the first tempering cycle is done as most steels I work with recommend tempering right before/after cryo. I’m sure many of us are interested in this topic so thank you for any insight you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back