Knife for Hog Hunting and Dispatching…What Would You Choose?

Whatever knife you use, just be careful. I've seen some pretty nasty damage on dogs and people who got caught.

A local hunter sent the guy I go pig hunting with a pic, and he sent it onto me. It's the result of his encounter with a boar a few months ago. I think he probably needed some stitches.

Resized-20221204-075808.jpg

That's gonna leave a mark for sure!
A whole lot of necrotized tissue around that wound. Pigs must have a mouth that's a filthy as a bear's.

I read this thread yesterday I’m from east Texas there have always been hogs in the pineywoods. Hog dogs and hunters I knew never heard them using a knife. But after thinking about it and knowing you’re supposed to set the knife point and push into the heart and or lung. I can see that being a little awkward gripping a knife by a standard handle. Stay with me now a handle like on the push dagger only much longer say at least 10 inches would keep the handle from slipping and you could put some weight your weight behind the blade
this would be a custom knife far sure. Not much use else where.

It's just like bowhunting: you have to know where to put the hole...
Only a lot more stressful!

Wasn’t there a pretty good movie out a while ago. Called “No country for old men”
hog hunting with knives isn’t for old men and it would apply to me for sure. I was stressed out real good once and I had an auto shotgun loaded with buckshot but I was only about 16 years old and not an old man.

Wasn’t there a pretty good movie out a while ago. Called “No country for old men”
hog hunting with knives isn’t for old men and it would apply to me for sure. I was stressed out real good once and I had an auto shotgun loaded with buckshot but I was only about 16 years old and not an old man.
Great movie! 😎👍

I read this thread yesterday I’m from east Texas there have always been hogs in the pineywoods. Hog dogs and hunters I knew never heard them using a knife. But after thinking about it and knowing you’re supposed to set the knife point and push into the heart and or lung. I can see that being a little awkward gripping a knife by a standard handle. Stay with me now a handle like on the push dagger only much longer say at least 10 inches would keep the handle from slipping and you could put some weight your weight behind the blade
this would be a custom knife far sure. Not much use else where.
I blade and bow hunted hogs in south TX. My favorite blade was a Cris Reeve Project 1 which had knurled handle and a lanyard. I always grabbed the right rear leg to get positioned to stab with my right hand aiming just a few inches up the chest behind the shoulder. With the commotion happening it is not a delicate placement.

I got into blade hunting for them after a girlfriend was trying to arrow a nice pig. The hog got ahold of a dog and was swinging and tossing it trying to slice the dog with tusks/tushes. Dog owner yelled for me to ‘save the dog, grab the pig’. Next thing I had both back legs off the ground like a bucking wheelbarrow. They got the dog loose and the hog turned attention towards me. My girlfriend arrowed it and the handler said ‘you really gotta try it with a knife. The next week I stabbed 3 and was hooked.

Back