Knife friendly pants/shorts?

What is a guy to do?? Any advice?
One option is to use a sheath to hold your knife. There are all kinds of sheath makers that make awesome sheaths for fixed blades and folders.
Some of the friction sheaths for folding knives custom fit, they Rock. I like this cross draw..Screenshot_20190116-210747_Gallery.jpg

I wear Levis and a couple pairs of more pricey jeans and they all show clip wear after 8-12 months, maybe sooner.

Black-Stretch-Walkshort-productpage-1_800x800.jpg
Hello

This might be a really stupid question but I got to ask. Does anyone make a pair of pants or shorts that are knife friendly? I have North Face shorts, Kuhl shorts and some others that are not easy on the wallet. It seems like it doesn’t take long to get that pocket clip fray and then a hole. Maybe I should change my shorts? (Pun intended). I know some knives are easier on the pockets than others. What is a guy to do?? Any advice?

The Tac Shorts from Birdwell can't be beat. They're a real punch in the face at $100 a pair but they'll last forever. They have a lifetime guarantee as rock solid as Buck's and they're made to survive nuclear fallout.

I've only got one pair, but they have mileage on them that would've killed a pair of Dickies 20 times over. They still look fine.

Rothco vintage paratroopers. Bend the clip and sand the g10 lol. It’s not rocket science

You know, I've been carrying a clipped knife since 6th grade or so. 25 years now? Shit...
Anyway, i've never had a pair of pants show this wear. I see it in lots of 'tuff bruh' type pics in ads and on insta, and I dont get it.. Literally never got it- not on jeans, bdus, khaki shorts, anything.. I wear Carhartt logger dungarees for work pants, for years, have worn them clear off myself, back pockets falling off, bottoms shredded, tool pockets pretty used up.. no knife wear on thr rfp at all, even after repairing the pocket itself on some jeans.

I dont get it.

I reckon I can totally recommend carhartt work pants tho. The canvas ones are real nice, not as thick as the denim and maybe tougher. They shed briars great and are cut roomy for plenty of movement.
Carhartts rock. I been buying their pants for a long while and they hold up well. Their shorts as well.

The Tru-Spec Eclipse pants have utility pockets inside each front pocket. Had posted a few photos several months back, but they are discontinued and getting harder to find.

Two other options...

Have been sending my jeans to the local seamstress. She sews in pocket/slips inside each front pocket with matching denim. Knife and flashlight can be clipped inside or simply dropped in. No one sees what's being carried and the clips don't get scratched or scratch other stuff. Fits a single stack pistol mag as well. Leaves room for other stuff (cash, wallet, keys...) in the main pockets.

Jeans1.jpg
Jeams2.jpg

The 5.11 Defender Flex pants have a large utility pocket on the right side. Have had it sewn in half - two sides. One for the folder and the other for a flashlight. Again, keeps everything out of sight and clean.

511a.jpg

511b.jpg

My solution is taken from an old camping book...

I run a vertical seam up the side of my rear pocket and carry my large traditional folders there. Easy to get to. Very comfortable. Very discrete. Less pocket wear.

511 here. Wait til they go on sale or coupon codes are available.

Adjusting the clip tension is important.

Some scales are so aggressive there isn’t much a person can do.

7GNOYQr.jpg

I live in the 5.11 Taclite pants and shorts. There is a slip pocket on the right leg, perfect for the Military that I carry. On the left leg is a flap pocket, I've used it for glasses and now mostly for my iPhone 6S.

One option is to use a sheath to hold your knife. There are all kinds of sheath makers that make awesome sheaths for fixed blades and folders.
Some of the friction sheaths for folding knives custom fit, they Rock. I like this cross draw..View attachment 1055639

I'm with Methuselah, problem solved:

Beltless sheath, can be worn with or without a belt.

GQ9v84u.jpg

Large folder sheath:

mwG20Y7.jpg

Vertical Pancake sheath:

c7jDPMI.jpg

Beltless again.

l4LZDus.jpg

Horizontal Sheath for a Gordo:

Ue8hAcK.jpg

Handy even when things get real busy:

24AmzAi.jpg

hTvoa8w.jpg

For summer/outdoors the Columbia PFG shorts are great, they’re water resistant and come in tons of colors. Provided you don’t have super aggressive scales they slide most knives in and out easily.

There are also 5 pockets that are large enough to be useful (and secure) but don’t turn you into an incel like cargo shorts do!

I use Carhartts, which I can buy for less than $15.

You do know you can stitch a small piece of leather into the area that's wearing and it will outlast the shorts?

Carhartt done me right over the years, and I had some Canyon River(?) that worked well.

If you are a size 34, PM me and I can hook you up with a pair of each.

Back