Knife hobby and our perceptions of materials

You should google "the hedonic tredmill" I think this is probably the root of your problem. It applies to alot of areas in life. No matter what knife, steel, handle you get eventually it won't satify you anymore. It's probably best to try to find contentment with what you have. I think most guys here have this problem including me.
I have worried about this sort of thing and have for the most part managed to avoid it. I used to be more snobbish about blade steels but pared that attitude back and two of my most recent purchases include ‘lowly’ RWL-34 blades. A year ago I foolishly passed them up for that very reason but this year I came to my senses and chose overall aesthetics and action above raw materials, and have been very satisfied, though my wheelhouse is still titanium and carbon fiber when it comes to frames/scales/inlays.

There are knives I handle and carry less and that genuinely lose their original spark, and I do try to recognize that in time and sell them off to pass the joy along to others who may appreciate them more but for the greater part I keep them because they’re simply marvels of engineering and craftsmanship so beyond my current capabilities (and possibly even understanding) that they don’t really go ‘stale’ on me. All it takes is a couple seconds of handling and a few flips for me to recall why I’ve kept each one and I do not guilt myself for not carrying each one every single day. I also have a couple of really nice suits I basically don’t break out ever except for funerals and job interviews and I never really analyze their place my life either.

I think if you can put a knife away for a year, take it out, still feel most if not all the joy you felt the day you got it, that’s perfectly fine. I don’t think there is (or should be) a schedule or hourly minimum requirement to how people as individuals should enjoy or use their knives in this hobby but their should definitely be enough regularity to just check-in, make sure you’re still feeling great about a particular piece, and if not, consider moving it along. Just don’t make any rash judgements in either direction that lead to regret—don’t buy or sell on a whim. If you know what you like but are also willing to try out new things based on either trusted recommendations or a sense of adventure, do the research, then make the choice.

And definitely, definitely don’t get hung up on blade steels. We truly do live in an age of ‘super steels’ where nearly every blade produced today will out perform those of 20+ years ago by an order of magnitude in categories like stainlessness and edge retention. Even if they’re using a 20-year old formula! Because manufacturing and quality control processes have improved, as have fundamental blade smithing techniques. For me now it’s become about finding that like-a-glove fit of the perfect midtech with an eye popping design and giggle-inducing sure-fire action without going full custom. And as another cliché reminds us: it’s about the journey, not the destination.

Last edited:
I think I've become too concerned about steel and handle materials to a point the hobby has become less fun for me.

Do you consume a lot of knife content on youtube? Most of it is essentially just advertising and hype. The scale material and knife steel is just a bullet point and something to yak about to try and sell you on the knife or just to fill up time to make the video longer. Being overly concerned about it is probably not normal, but it might seem normal if you consume a lot of that content because what else are they going to talk about?

Doing an actual in depth review of a knife takes a lot of effort. It's easier to just talk about the simple details and move on to the next video. Youtubers are trying to make money, and spending too much time on a single video isn't cost effective for most of them. To actually use the knife and give you a detailed review takes a lot of time. It might also get them in trouble with knife companies who will be less willing to send them knives to review in the future, and so they're purposely trying not to be too honest or critical. Talking about things like knife steel and handle material isn't likely to upset the manufacturer.

Do you consume a lot of knife content on youtube? Most of it is essentially just advertising and hype. The scale material and knife steel is just a bullet point and something to yak about to try and sell you on the knife or just to fill up time to make the video longer. Being overly concerned about it is probably not normal, but it might seem normal if you consume a lot of that content because what else are they going to talk about?

Doing an actual in depth review of a knife takes a lot of effort. It's easier to just talk about the simple details and move on to the next video. Youtubers are trying to make money, and spending too much time on a single video isn't cost effective for most of them. To actually use the knife and give you a detailed review takes a lot of time. It might also get them in trouble with knife companies who will be less willing to send them knives to review in the future, and so they're purposely trying not to be too honest or critical. Talking about things like knife steel and handle material isn't likely to upset the manufacturer.
Yes I do take in a lot of knife content in general across different platforms.

I have worried about this sort of thing and have for the most managed to avoid it. I used to be more snobbish about blade steels but pared that attitude back and two of my most recent purchases include ‘lowly’ RWL-34 blades. A year ago I foolishly passed them up for that very reason but this year I came to my senses and chose overall aesthetics and action above raw materials, and have been very satisfied, though my wheelhouse is still titanium and carbon fiber when it comes to frames/scales/inlays.

There are knives I handle and carry less and that genuinely lose their original spark, and I do try to recognize that in time and sell them off to pass the joy along to others who may appreciate them more but for the greater part I keep them because they’re simply marvels of engineering and craftsmanship so beyond my current capabilities (and possibly even understanding) that they don’t really go ‘stale’ on me. All it takes is a couple seconds of handling and a few flips for me to recall why I’ve kept each one I do not guilt myself for not carrying each one every single day. I also have a couple of really nice suits I basically don’t break out ever except for funerals and job interviews and I never really analyze their place my life either.

I think if you can put a knife away for a year, take it out, still feel most if not all the joy you felt the day you got it, that’s perfectly fine. I don’t think there is (or should be) a schedule or hourly minimum requirement to how people as individuals should enjoy or use their knives in this hobby but their should definitely be enough regularity to just check-in, make sure you’re still feeling great about a particular piece, and if not, consider moving it along. Just don’t make any rash judgements in either direction that lead to regret—don’t buy or sell on a whim. If you know what you like but are also willing to try out new things based on either trusted recommendations or a sense of adventure, do the research, then make the choice.

And definitely, definitely don’t get hung up on blade steels. We truly do live in an age of ‘super steels’ where nearly every blade produced today will out perform those of 20+ years ago by an order of magnitude in categories like stainlessness and edge retention. Even if they’re using a 20-year old formula! Because manufacturing and quality control processes have improved, as have fundamental blade smithing techniques. For me now it’s become about finding that like-a-glove fit of the perfect midtech with an eye popping design and giggle-inducing sure-fire action without going full custom. And as another cliché reminds us: it’s about the journey, not the destination.
My ZT 0450 cf always puts a smile on my face. That action is just unreal and very snappy. No knife regardless of price point feels better when opening and closing.

I still think of any powder metallurgy steel as being "premium". And while I do appreciate premium handle materials like titanium and carbon fiber, I will admit that titanium can get a little boring after awhile. I like more variety, both in steels and handle materials. A collection dominated by monochromatic M390 and titanium framelocks would bore me. I like G10, micarta, and aluminum just fine. And I even appreciate lowly FRN for several reasons. I have multiple FRN knives and they're great utilitarian pieces.

Eliteone2383 Eliteone2383
I’ve actually moved in the opposite direction as this sickness has progressed. I actually prefer g10 because I think it functions best in actual performance. I literally pay almost no attention to which steel I’m buying because at this point in the game, most knives at a certain price range have a steel thats good enough for me and my uses.

I must admit I have plenty of titanium folders with high end steels but it’s primarily because of the makers I love and support than with the materials I’m getting. For me it’s more about the whole package and functionality is the most important criteria. I actually convert some ti folders to g10 scales because I can’t get knives I love with it.

Congrats on recognizing your dilemma and just try to remember that’s it’s simply about what makes you happy. So much of materialism is about impressing others. Getting to the point of not caring at all what others think can be difficult but recognizing when you’re doing it is key to ending it. Good luck and just enjoy it for your own sake.

I think I've become too concerned about steel and handle materials to a point the hobby has become less fun for me. I think up until recently I took a vacation from the forum for around 2 years. Let me give an example of what I'm talking about. I want a beater paramilitary 2 but look at blade steels like s30v and g10 and just turn my nose up at it. Then I look at 20cv and again immediately think not good enough.
You are definitely way too concerned about blade steels and handle materials. It's good that you recognize this.

The best way to cure yourself of knife snobbery is to actually use and sharpen your knives. That will sober you up right quick.

My EDC knives are a Victorinox Rambler and a vintage Gerber Harsey AirFrame. The Rambler is my most used knife of all, the AirFrame is a 25 year old design with a 154CM blade that was considered a top grade blade steel in the late 90s, but is now considered to be effectively pot metal by far too many "collectors", today.

My most used fixed blade is a vintage Gerber Pro Guide II that has a 420HC blade and injection molded nylon scales. It's a cheap knife by any stretch of the examination (unless you try to buy one on eBay, these days, where they are fetching ridiculous prices), but I have relied on it in the woods for many years without worry. The steel is tough and easy to sharpen with field expedient sharpeners. Ten years ago, when I first moved to New England, and lived in an off-grid cabin, that knife processed an entire Winter's worth of kindling for my woodstove (my only source of heat), during the coldest Winter in many years.

I can say without even a hint of irony that 420HC is my number one most favorite steel for a backcountry knife. It is very corrosion resistant, very tough, and easy to sharpen. Yes, it doesn't hold an edge the way exotic crucible steels can, but I'd rather have a knife I can sharpen easily in the field and never have to worry about "ruining".

I can say without even a hint of irony that 420HC is my number one most favorite steel for a backcountry knife. It is very corrosion resistant, very tough, and easy to sharpen. Yes, it doesn't hold an edge the way exotic crucible steels can, but I'd rather have a knife I can sharpen easily in the field and never have to worry about "ruining".
If you bring a small sharpening stone with you, the more exotic steels are easy to sharpen as well.
If you don't bring a small sharpening stone of some sort, not that easy to find things to sharpen on out there "in the field."

Back