Knife in the Hat Trade ("official sign up")

Okay, I guess we're doing it! Thanks to Dave Larsen for the idea and Tim for helping out, too. I'm sure this will change, so keep checking back here for updates. Sorry about making so many separate threads on this, too. I guess we need to establish some ground rules and time lines.

Knife in the Hat is something that has been done in many forms on different forums and by different people. The way it works is that everyone interested gets in touch with me, and I'll put names in a hat and draw. Everyone gets a name, and everyone makes a knife. You send your knife to the name I drew for you, and you get a knife from someone else. So, you get to see another maker's work and share your own with someone else. Like Tim (ToolHead) said in another post, it is important to realize that the fun of this is in the challenge of making something for another maker, as well as enjoying someone else's work for it's own sake. Don't get fixed on the idea of "getting something for nothing" or worry too much about what you're getting out of it. Focus on what you're putting into it!
So, below you'll find some ground rules, deadlines, etc and we can get rolling with this!

To make things fair, let's talk about time lines first:

Time Line for Knife in the Hat
There need to be two dates to keep in mind. First is a registration date, second is a date we decide on for when the knife should be completed and sent to the recipient. In order to take part in this Knife in the Hat trade, you need to register with me by October 3 . That's exactly one week from today. To register, please do the following:

1) Send me an email at: agocs_s@hotmail.com
2) In the subject line, please type Knife Trade
3) Include the following information: real name, Bladeforums user name, home or mailing address, current email address, and maybe a little blurb about the knife you are planning for the trade (nothing to ruin the surprise, but just a little something, if you want).
All emails I receive by midnight on October 3 will be entered in the trade. If you want to post here, too, just to double-cover yourself, that's fine, too. Probably not a bad idea. Please do not JUST post here and make me chase you around to get your info. Email is the official registration. Once the registration is closed, I will email all the registrants the list of the the rest of the people, so we all know who is taking part. I'll post it, too. Then, I'll draw names and email each person who they will be making their knife for and sending it to.

Another deadline should be for when the knife should be completed and sent to the person on the other end. I know I can crank a knife out in a weekend, but let's give it a month, maybe, unless that sounds wrong? So, tentatively, let's say November 3 should be the deadline. That gives a little over a month to make the knife and mail it. If you finish early, go ahead and send it. If it's going to be a little late, let me and the person you are sending to know, I guess.

PLEASE do not register unless you are 100% certain that you can follow through with a decent knife. Some criteria for what makes a "decent" knife will follow!

Rules
Here are some rules, and they are subject to change with input from participants:
1) If you register, follow through by sending a knife. Unless there's a really good excuse, you'll pretty much get trashed publicly if you fall through on your end of things. I'm assuming everyone involved is psyched about creating something for someone else, so I'll try to stay positive! :)
2) Knife needs to be of your creation. Certainly, if you are a pro and you have blanks around, etc, we won't get into "custom vs. production" etc, but basically that means no production knives (i.e. name brand), no kits, no other maker's work passed off as your own. This should be something you are making specifically for this trade.
3) Style is up to you, unless participants want a theme. I'm for leaving it completely open-ended, so any size, folder or fixed blade, tactical, kitchen, whatever. If you have a theme idea that others like, let's use it.
4) Knife should be heat treated, finished, and full functional. Let's say that if it is a fixed blade, it needs to include a sheath (unless that's totally out of your abilities or means, in which case discuss it here) or cover some type (i.e. for a kitchen knife).
5) Try to "stretch" and do your best work. That doesn't mean you have to create a masterpiece with jewels set into the hilt, but make something you would be proud to give to another maker. For us who are beginners, that means putting a lot of work and heart into it. For pros, that means spend at least ten minutes on the project! :) Maybe if you're a pro with a full shop, that means turning off the power and trying the forge, or using all hand tools like files or something. Whatever. Challenge yourself!
6) Be focused on what you are making, not what you will be getting.
7) Try to snap a few photos of your project and maybe someone can volunteer to post all the knives so everyone can see what turned out.
8) Post a blurb about the knife you receive here and share your CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts/criticisms.
9) Most importantly.... have FUN!

So, there it is. Rules and dates and I'm sorry this is SOOOO long. If I'm missing something or need to make changes, I am totally open to suggestion. This is my first time doing something like this, so please give input if you have an idea to improve it. Keep in touch!

Just a note on the sheath thing. FIrst off, I will fully admit that I don't make my own sheaths. I can make leather ones so far, but nothing else. And if you saw my leather ones, you'd ask me NOT to make a sheath fo rthe blade. ;) But there are many people out ther ewho will make you a sheath for a reasonable price. I have a friend who's doing work for me, and it's good to get a good relationship with other people out there, least that's my philosophy. Have alreayd asked permission from two makers to copy some of their designs for my personal use(ie knives for me personaly, not to sell). And have a guy making sheathes for me now for a reasonable price, etc.

Guess this note is mainly for the new guys lik eme. Just to let you know that you can work around just about any problem if you are creative.

Forgot to add, I'm in. :) Email just went out

This sounds really cool; wish I could participate, but I'm an absolute beginner, haven't even finished my first knife yet...

Still, depending on how this first knife goes, I _might_ be up to the knife-in-a-hat thing (or I might chuck the knife out a window and swear to never touch steel again).

Sure everyone else will agree with me, but if you actually work through to finish the knife, $100 bucks says you never completely get the knife making bug out of you again. IT's too late to turn back now Ryan, just make yourself comfortable and enjoy the rid.e :)

well i just got my 'confirmation of entry'
:)
so i guess im in.

should be good fun.

now i just have to figure out what to make.... ?
:D

D.

Woo-Hoo! Email sent, I'm in. Been giving it some thought and I know what I'm going to make.

Heh Heh ;)

Dave

Okay, we have about 7-8 people officially participating so far. Let's keep it going! I think this is going to end up being a fun thing! As of today, the only issue has been about nationality of participants. We have one Canadian and one Australian, and I know the shipping is a little more, plus the risk of customs, but I decided we'd be fine. I can't think of a cooler thing than getting a knife from halfway across the world, or from Australia for that matter ( :rolleyes: )! Anyway, I decided we should let anyone in and not discriminate on national citizenship. Agreed?

Count us in(Tess does the sheaths). I'll risk humiliation on the forum by putting in one of my crappy little knives.:D Plus,I haven't gotten a new knife in a long time. For some reason Tess won't let me buy knives anymore.:confused: Can't wait to send one out!

I'm thinking about this, I've participated in several of these and I ran the Friction Folder IITH over on the Outpost at CKD. They are great learning experiences and a lot of fun.

My first question is, what is the theme? Usually what we've done in the other trades is to create a limit of some kind so that everyone is making something along the same lines. Unless I've missed something I haven't seen that here except for a vague reference to something that might reasonably sell for $75.00 to $100.00. It might be a good idea to make it something like "a hunting knife with a blade limit of 4" or "a tanto with a blade limit of 6" or something similar to get everyone working along the same lines, or not if thats how everyone wants this trade to work.

I guess that was my only question really, what kind of knife?

I would like to offer this observation Steve, you mentioned doing the drawing right after the deadline for the entry. That would work too, but it takes the thrill of wondering who's knife you are going to get during the course of the month when you are making your knife. You'd end up making a knife for an individual rather than just making a knife to the best of your ability. In the trades I've particpated in the drawing was on the date that the knife was to be finished by, a date anticipated by all.

Don't count me in just yet. I"m trying to finish up a few knives and I'm going to the Hammer In in Macon, GA next weekend so I may have to set this one out. Sure is tempting though.

I'm with Guy on waiting until the end to draw names; I'd rather not know who's going to get my knife or who's making the one I'll get. Just my 2c.

As to a "theme", I'm willing to take my chances. :) I'm pretty sure I'll give full value and expect others will too.
I wouldn't object to it but can work "in the dark" too.

Edit: I hope Guy gets in; my buddy Reg just doesn't have time and that's too bad 'cause he makes beautiful knives.

I'm with waiting to find out the knife recipients until later. I'd enjoy making a knife for the "hat" and then see it go to someone. I'm not sure I like the theme idea though. I usually like to do things a bit different.

I agree about no theme, because with one exception(when I went back to go make a dsemi decent copy of my first knife), none of my knives have been anything alike in profile, style, or intended use. And since I don't expect to end up with any steady pattern between now and november, don't want a theme. :)

Silent, good observation on the drawing of the names. I never thought of it that way, and it makes a lot of sense (probably WHY I never thought of it that way!), so we'll draw names closer to the deadline rather than earlier. In other words, you'll get your name when the projects are supposed to be finished, that way you aren't making a knife for a specific person.

As far as a theme and even a value, I didn't want the $75-100 reference to be a guide. I guess there are no restrictions other than the fact that the knife should be a usable, finished piece. If you want to throw in something that you could sell for $500, that's your decision. Make a knife you're proud of and see what happens, I guess. The point is to stretch yourself a little bit and see what you can do. This should be an opportunity to have a little fun because the knives are not being bought/sold, and they are going to other makers, so we should all be open-minded and ready for anything. Just have fun! The reward should be giving a gift of a great knife that challenged you to somebody else.

Is the November deadline suitable for everyone? I don't want to reel it in any, but should we push it further? A month to crank out a knife seemed okay to me, but if we need to play with the date that's fine, too. A few more people have signed up, so don't worry if you sent me email over the weekend... I'll send your confirmation when I get back to my office.

Chiro,

This is a great idea, and thanks for putting it together. I've been very interested in collecting and exchanging knives made by other makers. You can count me in. I'll send you my registration info later this afternoon.

As far as the theme goes, I also agree that there should be no theme. I make mostly folding knives, and I imagine that if the theme was some type of hunting knife or something like that, I probably would not get to participate.

You mentioned in the beginning of the thread about trying to get pictures of the finished knives posted somewhere online. I will be willing to host the pictures and info about the knives and the makers on my website. I have my own server with several gigs of free space, so there should be no problem if you would like me to do so.

I believe it would be neat to have a single web page dedicated to each project. (This will be easy due the the database back-end on my website, but I want get into all of the geek speak at this time.) The page could have a small picture of the maker, along with a larger picture of the knife. It could also give a short bio on the maker along with all of his/her contact information, and a description of the knife made. Also, who bought the knife and a link to the page of their project. You could jump from one maker to the next to see who all ended up with what.

Anyway, it's just an idea, and I would be willing to host it if you would like.

Thanks -chris

im all for following suit and not wanting a theme for the blade.
i think the surprise on seeing what sort of blade people make will be part of the whole fun.

but i would like to say that though i see the complete sense on drawing the names at a later date, i dont like that idea.
but that just because im impatient, and i was interested in seeing who i was going to get put with.
:D

but, i guess i will just have to get over that.
it is a good suggestion nonetheless.

D.

Heck, I'll throw in...mail should be in your box, Chiro75.

One thought...maybe we ought to push the date back to mid-December, and make it a Yule surprise for everyone?

Like one of those "Secret Santa" things for Yule that our wives and girlfriends always seem to be getting into, only dripping Testosterone...?

Just my two coppers...

We just finished doing something like this in the Paltalk custom knife discussion room. I believe we had twenty makers involved and everything went off smoothly. Not that I'm involved in this one but, I also believe drawing the names at the last is a good idea.

Back