Knife laws in North Dakota?

Hey all!

I am travelling to Grand Forks, North Dakota. I'll be leaving tomorrow and attending a philosophy conferene with my Masters supervisor. Can anyone tell me what the legalities are there reegarding knives? I don't want to break any laws while I visit my neighbors to the south!

In case anyone is interested, this will be my third state! Montana, Idaho, and soon North Dakota can be added to my list of US states visited! Heh, I need to get out more :( WHich is why I am going on a road trip tomorrow! :) WOHOO!

North Dakota - Criminal Code - Weapons - 62.1-04-02... No
person, other than a law enforcement officer, may carry
any firearm or dangerous weapon concealed unless the
person is licensed to do so or exempted...
- 12.1-01-04... 6. "Dangerous weapon" means, but is not
limited to, any switchblade or gravity knife, machete,
scimitar, stiletto, sword, or dagger...

North Dakota Case Law:
- "A straight razor, unsuitable for shaving and altered in
such a fashion as to enhance its effectiveness as a
weapon, is a dangerous weapon that may not be carried
concealed without a license or exemption." (1988)

Basically, No concealed carry of dirks/dagger, swords, machetes or autos concealed. "Concealed" is based on the officer (like here in Canada). Other then that you can carry any knife you please concealed or not :D

I'd recommend checking with the local sherif though incase of any local ordinances...

You may want to bookmark this link

Hey John, if I turn my ear south and listen very carefully, will I hear you sharpening away with your RES gear? hehe :)

Ahh... now that the forums are back up, and I am home safe, I can comment!

I think I'll be making a longer post later, reflecting on my trip. However, I must say that I really had a great time! I have wanted a particular G-Shock (DW-6600) for a year or more now, and 840 miles away from my home I found one- and it was on sale!

As far as knive content goes, I am happy with what I found. I picked up Ed Fowler's Knife Talk book and I am enjoying many of those articles. I got to go to Cabella's and see a bunch of knives there. I almost picked up a ka-bar, but I thought I'd keep the $$ and spend it on a nylon belt and pouch for my Buck/Strider folder from SOE. I did pick up one knife for myself- I'll keep it a mystery though! Wait for my longer post for info on that. It was cheap, but it means a lot to me.

By the way, from Lethbridge Alberta to Grand Forks North Dakota, the landscape hardly changes! It was a little wetter in ND than it is in southern Alberta, and Saskatchewan is flatter than Alberta or ND, but they mostly looked the same! Kinda neat.

sometimes,,,,when you drive our roads here near grand Forks,,,its like the same 10 miles just jumps out ahead of you, again and again...

Now on a side note about knife carry laws here...

When I started to bring a few of my forged knives to work for the guys to see, I was always asked if it was ok to make such things?

I made one knife with about a 7 inch blade , that everyone was scared that I might get arrested for making it...

the guys all said some thing about a carry law that kept knives under 5 inches..

WELL..I didnt believe that for a moment,,,so I called the cops and talked to them about my knives..

Turns out that the Carry Law is only for some types of knives that you might have in your pocket like for switchblades and razors..

as I make knives the go into a belt sheath, I was told the skys the limit!

I can make a knife and you can carry it on your belt to whatever size we want,,,

Back