Off Topic Knife lost in memory

Okay so I have a hard question for you and I'm not sure I will get an answer.

I have a friend of 48 years old who's uncle had a game processing knife. I would like to offer him that said knife, but he doesn't remember the name of it and his uncle died when my friend was about 25 years old.

All I know about this knife it is;

-made to process game
-recurved
-have a "small notch to cut tendon" where the ricasso/choil should be
-have a little saw back for bone
-a german knife
-the handle is made of horn or antler
-can be a high-end knife as the guy was always in the wood and invested in his tool

I know it's a hard question, but could you help me identify that blade?

I have a friend of 48 years old who's uncle had a game processing knife. I would like to offer him that said knife, but he doesn't remember the name of it and his uncle died when my friend was about 25 years old.

-made to process game
-recurved
-a german knife
-can be a high-end knife as the guy was always in the wood and invested in his tool

Without some good clear photos people would just be speculating.

If a folding knife, sounds like either a Boker or Puma old style "Sportsman's knife"
I believe Boker Tree Brand still has their made in Solingen, Germany Sportsman's knife in production.
It is not "inexpensive" however.
I don't know if Puma is still making one.
If a fixed blade, Puma made some with secondary blades that folded into the handle.

Puma White hunter? Checks most of your boxes, but the serrated portion isn't on the back...

Grizz

-made to process game
-recurved
-a german knife

Can the two of you sketch it based on his memory to give us a chance to help plumb our mental catalogues?

You can try looking through this thread. Most of the catalog pages are still showing. The Photobucket Greed fiasco a few years back eliminated a few catalog pages.

If a folding knife, sounds like either a Boker or Puma old style "Sportsman's knife"
I believe Boker Tree Brand still has their made in Solingen, Germany Sportsman's knife in production.
It is not "inexpensive" however.
I don't know if Puma is still making one.
If a fixed blade, Puma made some with secondary blades that folded into the handle.
I forgot to mentions it's a fixed blade. And yes, I presume the guy bought an expensive one. If you where to use that knife on wood, he would never lend you his gear again.

Can the two of you sketch it based on his memory to give us a chance to help plumb our mental catalogues?
I was planning to surprise him with it, but I guess he would be happy even if it's not a surprise. I'll try to sketch it with him.

While I know it's a hard one, I tought that because of it's unique design if I saw one I would knew it's that one. After all a serrated back is pretty rare and I never heard of a gut hook where the ricasso is.

Have you tried an image search? Even if you find something that looks close it could help.

I was planning to surprise him with it, but I guess he would be happy even if it's not a surprise. I'll try to sketch it with him.

While I know it's a hard one, I tought that because of it's unique design if I saw one I would knew it's that one. After all a serrated back is pretty rare and I never heard of a gut hook where the ricasso is.
The process of getting his memory on paper will help identify these features. It may be that when he sees it take form before him, he will realize they were a bit different than he communicated to you.

And it doesn't have the "notch"
No but it has a small section of serrations or saw teeth in right place.....
5XXEihT.jpg

Back